Traveling for work...again!

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Byron510

Traveling for work...again!

Post by Byron510 »

Eh all,

I'll be on the road again - for those in the Seattle area, I'll be in Fife tonight, leaving for LA Thursday morning, coming back to the Seattle area on the 18/19 and staying untill the 21 when I get to come home.

I have no idea what my schedules will be at either spot -
Seattle looks good to hook up with Jeff, Hainz, Ben, Sarah and anyone else whom I've not met there.

LA (Carson)- well, that one I have no idea yet. I know I'll be working 16 plus hour shifts from Thursday through Saturday, after that the jobs are up in the air, so it s a real dogs breakfast at the moment. I'll stay in touch; if anyone’s in the area, maybe we can hook up and talk tech - or just have a beer. I caught up with John last time I was down, met in Venice - that was cool, nice break - good to chat with any Datsun guys. I’ll be in the Carson area until the 18th at least… maybe.
Byron
caesarDX

RE: Traveling for work...again!

Post by caesarDX »

Byron,
Make sure you maximize your allowable duty free exemption. Order autoparts from the
US online while you are there and send it to your house as declared "goods to follow". :wink:
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 BMW E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
2001 Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 1
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

maybe this time ???
whats the weekend plan 15/16 :?:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Brian,
You know, I think Sunday looks best right now, but I really won't know unstill I get to LA, as I don't have the ships actual port schedule (just a rough guess at this point from the ship‘s agent). I will know for sure when I get to LA on Thursday morning. I'm sure we'll (my work team of 9 guys) be on a non stop schedule, stopping only long enough to get 6 hours sleep every 24 until Saturday when the ship leaves. I'm then scheduled for another job, possible starting on Monday - time yet totally unknown as that ship isn't even on the harbor masters roster yet. I'll know more about that second job by Saturday...
Pretty crazy job, eh?
That's the other half of my job where I work my butt off! Feast or famine as far as work goes in my field. It's kind of like being a fireman: You never know when that bell is going to go off, and you don't come home until the job is done. Then I just sit around, polish my tools waiting for the bell to go off again! The job has good benefits, though - look at all the toys I make for my car! It almost makes up for my lack of sanity!
Brian, I'll post more info on my LA stay when I learn more - that'd be great if we do hook up - I didn't get to talk to you long at Canby.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

sunday - sunday - sunday

ill be around...
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Looks like I'm headed out Sunday, but as I'm heading back to work to finish the job this afternoon (Friday) and work back into the night and possible early hours of Saturday morning and finish the job, it looks like I'll have the rest of Saturday free, but I'll be flying back to Seattle Sunday.
Hope you can make it Brian. John, if you are in the area and available, maybe we can all meet at a common place. You guys name it, I'll be available any time after 12 noon Saturday...(need to get a little sleep). But you never know in my bussiness, plans never stay the same, but we'll hold to this for now.
Hope to catch up with you, or anyone else who wants to come along. You guys name the time and place as you know the area, making that place easy to find for a guy who doesn't know LA would be nice as well :D
Take care, hope to catch up with you.
Byron
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I am cooking all day Saturday for an evening xmas party, but I can jump out sometime before 6 pm if that works for anyone.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

As usual, my work life is in a constant state of flux.

The job in LA for Monday is back on again - for about the 5th time since this past Tuesday.

So the good news: I'm here all day Sunday as well. So what ever works for you all - Saturday or Sunday. Brian, if Sunday is still on - anytime works. And John, is you could join us, and you won't loose any points for skipping out on an X-mass gathering.. Works for me, you guys name a place, and a time, as I don't go back to a job untill 4am Monday morning.
It's be good to hook up with you.
I'll be able to log on again in about 12 to 14 hours, so I'll check back.
Byron
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

try the Yard House in Long Beach.

try the Bornem Double.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

sunday is open, just got fix 1 wire :roll: on sat

mmmmmm yardhouse :mrgreen:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

For you LA area guys. I have the day to kill (Saturday) and was wondering where a good place to go would be.
I was thinking of finding the infamous Mullhuland Drive - go drive the wheel of the Toyota Solara that Hertz gave me. It's a sunny day - figured its a perfect day for a drive.
Any other ideas?
Byron
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Surely there are some datsunguys that will entertain you... if not..

are you going to the petersen automobile museum?... in the hollywood area... worth about a half hour or so... some of your very favorite real life matchbox cars were on display last time I looked... LA is such a shit place to drive in... last time I was there I drove down to Oceanside on the Coast near Classic Datsun Motorsports... surfing near the pier.. military town. If you want a good view of LA from the hills, go up to the Getty Museum http://www.getty.edu/museum/ the place is free and also good for a quick wander. 8 blocks of venice beach is good for a moderate freakshow and cheap t shirts. really bored and want to go for a long bomb? blast out to the desert towards palm springs or 29 palms(my fave)... every other highway was pretty much bogged down to gridloc- especially the coast routes.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Byron,
Just talked to Brian, we are talking about meeting at Johnie's French Dip at 2:00pm. He'll call you in the a.m. to shore it up. Basically, you'll head up the 405 N. to Washington Blvd/Venice Blvd exit, make a right off the exit ramp (on to Sepulveda Blvd.) and go straight for a block. It will be on the corner of Washington & Sepulveda S.W. corner.. It's on the same street as the last place we met, just about 1.5 miles further North.
Here's the MAP:
clickie
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sunny...I don't want to hear about that! Another crappy, cold, wet dreary, soppy day here. I can hear my Toyota rusting with all the salt residue left on the road. I'm envious, I wish I was there, that would be fun to hook up with you guys. Have fun, burn up some fossil fuel for me, spring is only four months away.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Man, burning dead dinosaurs is what I did all day.
First, I found the old Nissan Motors head quarters in Gardena - I knew that the Motorsport department was gone, but now the building is empty! So to continue with the Datsun search - I was off to find Mulholland Dr., and drove the section that spans between the 405 and the Hollywood Freeway, and back again for good measure. I can see that this would have been a very cool piece of road when there were few, if any, houses on it. I’m guessing that in the early 70’s, land wasn’t so valuable to be building perched on the side of a steep hill. Nice road, but Brian you were right - too many cars! But I did my best to wear out the tiptronic style trans in the Toyota that Hertz gave me. But the brakes must be pretty good - didn't even blue the rotors! Guess I wasn't trying hard enough, but I was having fun. Since the traffic headed south on the 405 back to LA was pretty much stopped, I headed north towards Sacramento, headed west on Ventura Blvd, then took hwy 27 south through Topanga Canyon - now that was a serious blast! No traffic and I was just about peeling the tires off that Toyota! Especially the uphill section coming out of Sacramento. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no writing left on the sidewalls after that run :D Next time I'll do a tire pressure check before having "fun".....
Then I ended up coming down the Pacific Coast Hwy into Torrance and headed east back to the hotel in Carson. Good days worth of driving, got a couple short hikes in while in the Hollywood hills, walked the beach in Venice, had dinner in Manhattan Beach - quaint little town.
Yep, Keith, it was a nice sunny day. A little cold to have the Solara's top down all day, but I did my best by keeping the heater on, at least the legs were warm. Outside temp said 68 degrees at mid day.
Look forward to catching up with you tomorrow John and Brian. I'll try and stay as long as I can, before heading back into the cold in Seattle – looks like that will happen Monday or Tuesday. I hear they are threatening snow back home in Vancouver for Monday, is the Seattle forecast the same? Anyone?? I sure don't want to be driving in snow in the rental car I left at SeaTac. Be a shock from the weather here.
I'm kinda liking this LA area though.
Byron