LZ 23 .... nope KAZ23S

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Post by datzenmike » 07 Aug 2008 21:00

"We are all connected" lol Funny how the rear ends end up at his neighbors place because of another guy who frequents two different forums, one for Datsun cars and the other for Nissan trucks. Go figure.

My plan is to get the Z24 running and then swap a ported Z24 head with 200sx intake and EFI onto it. Sort of a Z24E. Did some reading on datsunhistory last night, very nice! Should have a truck section too. lol.

(how hot?)
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 11 Aug 2008 18:29

Well short lived success.

Oil light stays on, gage reads low, way low. Swapped another pump, low, swapped on my hi vol pump and get about 15lbs. Motor won't idle worth shit so removed and disassembled carb. Used the spray carb cleaner with a straw like the WD-40 to blow out every orifice. Modified the Z carb so the choke is now adjustable and removed the factory plug over the idle mixture screw so it's adjustable now too. Float level too high, adjust.

With all the oil pump swaps I've retarded the distributor a tooth, pretty sure. Won't start but fires. #1 plug wire isn't over the rotor just right. Will pull the pump and do it to-morrow.

Today I dropped the oil pan to check the screen on the pick up tube. The oil pan is stepped with a very low section at the very back with the drain plug.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

The pick up sits over the middle step and doesn't have much oil cover. (I think) I searched my junk pile and found a pick up from a 4X4. (I think)

I had to pry the screen off and cut about an inch off the tube and put the screen back on. Now it sucks oil from the very bottom of the pan.

The tube has two support brackets that bolt to existing threaded holes on the rear and center main caps. I love making shit work! woot!

_[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]______________
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 12 Aug 2008 17:49

Filled up with new oil to-day, adjust float, drop oil pump, move distributor one tooth and fire up. Fix idle cut solenoid and it idles.. a little high but runs. Probably timing. Pressure around 50, oil light still very slow to go out, never used to do this, will replace. I feel better now.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 17 Aug 2008 10:21

Well I had to bring firewood into the back yard yesterday so cleared out a path beside the house and drove the 620 out front and parked it on the street. Wouldn't start at first, with sputter up through the carb. Set the choke richer... bingo! Wow, close call... no brakes. Front rotors are a bit rusty, and took a bit of oomph to get her rolling from it's resting spot for over a year. Will check the vacuum line from the Z24 to the booster.

Very strange using the shorter shifter with the Z tranny. There's a 4" body lift and the longer 620 shifter was bent so it wouldn't hit the tunnel hole. Have to use the 720 shifter because the 'newer' 200sx B type 'ears' are taller than the old L tranny. Clutch seems ok. She's pig dirty from the crows shitting on her from a branch on the plum tree. I put the headlight pots back in and the grill.. big difference. The flat bed is full of stuff I didn't use on this swap. There's even a C-200 and a CA18ET 5 spd on there??? Wow how long has it been anyway???. Two rads, electric fans from a KA, battery, Volvo turbo, 4 clutch fan/water pumps, 2 Z exhaust manifolds air filters and about 5 lb of assorted nuts bolts and washers. A pail that did have rad water but is now just rain water. Mini wrecking yard on wheels!

Gotta get more braking before I drive on the street. Engine seemed strong enough though. I am encouraged by this.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 29 Aug 2008 19:18

Evolution.

Still plan to use EFI on my Z24... but with a change. I'm still going to use the Z20E 200sx intake and upper plenum but I've seen the light! I won't be using the batch fire EFI system. Instead I'm going to graft on the system from an '89 240sx KA24E instead. Basically mount the throttle plate on the 200sx plenum as well as the idle air control. Make a new fuel rail for the 240 injectors that will fit the 200sx manifold. Something to work on in the winter months. Here's what I found to-day:

Includes the engine wiring harness but no ECU, unfortunately.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 29 Aug 2008 19:36

Jason

510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak » 29 Aug 2008 20:30

If that is who I think it is beware...(might not be,but not many SRs in Nanaimo)
I think the name is cole..

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 29 Aug 2008 20:44

I figured the thing was a core there Lou, might be that Mike could use the ECU though.....
Jason

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 29 Aug 2008 20:55

Wow, $700 for a basket case motor. Thanks Jason.

Don't know if they are the same, the KA E and DE are different. Motor looks similar to this FWD one:

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 29 Aug 2008 21:11

No problem Mike :wink: , sure looks like the dude put it through the wringer though. The E ECU should be different than the DE ECU I think. I'd ask Jeff H on Ratsun, he might be able to get one from Frank.
Jason

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 31 Aug 2008 20:40

Jeff says he has some but only one, (the one he's using) is the good one. He has some numbers to tell which one is the good one and will pass that info along so I can look too.

BTW Beebani on Ratsun says he has one for me. Take a few days to locate. Good news.

Well my welding skills suck... the water pump that I cut the clutch off? the one I tacked the pulley onto the shaft was way looser than I thought. Limped the truck down Marine drive yesterday to the Mini Mart and I guess the pulley flew off either going or on the way back. Got a bit steamy!

Spent the PM being more careful cutting a new one. This time I left the clutch bearing on the shaft end so the factory welds around the pulley are unaffected. Had to pull the grill and head lights to get the rad out. Funny... when I ordered the pump gasket they were so cheap I got two. Rad had a small ding but could have been worse.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 31 Aug 2008 21:36

Woof, good thing nothing got warped there Mike! Yah, gaskets are not expensive items and I've laid in a good stock of them also!
Jason

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 01 Sep 2008 16:35

Well got the brakes working much better. I thought it might have been rusty rotors from sitting for a year or the four pot calipers seized. All I had was a rock hard pedal and hardly any stopping. Lot of effort required. Hmmm. The test for power brakes is to work the brakes to bleed away any trapped vacuum, press down on the brakes and start the engine. The engine vacuum will cause the brake pedal to drop down slightly... well it didn't. While the motor was out and being swapped, the big black vacuum hose from the intake to the booster was off. There is a one way valve in line to the booster and maybe some critter bug climbed in there for the winter and clogged it, either way valve no workie. Had a spare, now there's vacuum to the booster and brakes are back! woot!!

Better stop driving around the hood with no gas and no license plate on. Grinnin' like a fool!

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 26 Sep 2008 21:28

LAST WEEK END

Well I've been running the motor without a down pipe gasket, guess it's not like the L20B. Have the gasket now but the studs are the shit. Pulled one from a D-21 with Z24i and it has the oxygen sensor so I can plug it into the EFI harness.

The tube you see is a pipe for sucking in air using exhaust negative back pressure pulses. The EGR tube is behind it at the top between the two far right hand mounting bolts. I loosened both so I can remove later If I want. I cut both tubes off and bent them over. I left the heat shield for warm air for the carb. The KA EFI uses EGR probably to tame engine knock? so I have a good EGR tube saved for that. For now it's plugged.

Notice how there is a different angle on the down pipe flange? I was afraid it would aim the pipe over closer to the tranny but it does bolt up fine. Very nice, and quiet now.

THIS WEEK

Well, I drove my Z24 truck to work for the last two days.... first time in over a year. No air filter or electric fan hooked up, no biggie, lots of air just driving. I also noticed that the temp runs slightly lower on the gauge than the L20b did. Take offs are smooth with the added torque, the old L strained to get off center and rolling a 3,400 lb truck. Part of the problem was the 33s and 4:11 gears. Should really get the spare 4.375s in but that would only get it back to stock gearing. What about 4.625s???? to compensate for the increased tire size.

Things to do... pull carb and find out why it idles at 2,500. Throttle plate is adjusted all the way closed, choke not on, cable not too tight. Maybe buggered gasket? If and when fixed, get air filter on, quieter.

Relay for electric fan. So I can idle as long as I want.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Sep 2008 22:04

Starting to get cold and wet for the fall commute there Mike. Good job to get er' done at the right time eh!
Jason