The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
shane_lxi

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by shane_lxi »

I wish I had a machine shop :(. Good work, cant wait to see the finished product!
slodat

Post by slodat »

Any updates?
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
spoolinitup33

Re:

Post by spoolinitup33 »

mesojdm wrote:wow..that fabricaion is awesome.I wish I could weld good so I could do that kinda stuff. Those rear wheels look tits!
Am I the only one who noticed that Meso said those wheels look tits? :?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

tits = "the shiz" = cool
I'm your huckleberry.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Hmm, must be some type of californian lingo I don't know about.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Not really. Personally, I don't like the saying and find it pretty crass, but I have heard of it.
I'm your huckleberry.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

not to get toooo far from this post but being in the Navy, I hear all kinds of those words......seems like a new one every week or so....sometimes i think....."where the hell did that come from".... :?
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

No updates on the rear end, but now that the weather is turning towards winter and "the honey do" list is short, I am going to start the upper frame assembly prototype. This will be the frame between the car and the rear end lower assembly, but will also include the attachment points for the coil-overs and upper "A" arms. I am thinking of using a 240z-280z mustauste (sp)bar on the back of the diff. and a 80's Suburu front diff. mount that will maybe attach to where the old pinion snubber was mounted on the wagon. Here is a picture that shows the Suburu front diff mount that I am talking about.

A "H" shaped frame will go between the frame loops on the wagon with stiffeners on the side of those loops. This is my brain storming at this time, but will probably change when the work starts.
Monte
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Long time no update, next up the upper sub assembly. Started working on the rear end again, made a wooden jig to hold the upper "A" arms in position along with the lowers and the uprights. Now the complete rear end assembly. can be lifted into place with a jack under the lower sub frame, to see how the upper sub assembly can be designed into the wagon's existing frame work. All of the adjustments are set at zero( camber and toe). The "A" arm droop is set at 6 degrees to start. It looks like the coil-overs will have to be set side ways with bell-cranks to the lower "A" arms (not enough height) I refuse to go into the cargo area.

But, I need some input guys. what would you consider to be minimum travel of the suspension before hitting the bump stops? I am thinking of running something in the 300 to 400 lb. spring rate.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Pretty much have finished working on the mustache bar for the diff. Made to fit the Zcar/later 510 bushings. Will do some finish work on the bar , like some chamfering on the edges and some surfacing on the flats, then will get it anodized. Next project up, the upper "H" sub frame for the bar and upper "A" arms.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Glad to see the project is still in the works - thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth!

Nice work, gotta love carving up a chunk of aluminum. A good friend and I carved up a 6X12X14" chunk into an intake manifold for his MR2 many years back - that was fun!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ace028

Post by ace028 »

Sweet man, I love these kind of builds! Can't wait for more updates!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The Energy Supspension bushings have a radius on the bottom of the flanges, so I put a radius on the top & bottom of the bushing mounts. This will keep the sharp edge from cutting into the bushings.
Monte

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Have you slid it under the car yet? I didn't think there was much room between the diff and the cargo floor, so maybe you are not going to have much upward travel?? unless the wheel wells have the room.....maybe. It's very interesting to watch this, that looks amazing so far!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

No, not yet. I have get the rear assy. to the point that I can put the whole thing in the back of this mule that I have. The mustache bar is the first part on working my way up from the diff. Next up with the build is the upper sub frame assy. It is going to be a "H" shaped frame that the Upper "A" arms, the mustache bar and the coil-overs bolt to. There is about 4"-5" from the top of the diff. to the bottom of the cargo floor. I think that the front of the diff. is going to be supported by a frame that goes to where the front leaf spring mounts use to be, at least the what I am thinking right now. I have a WRX frame as shown in the picture below , maybe a 510 rear crossmember or something custom.
It a lot easier measuring on the mule then laying underneath a car.

Although I had done lots of measuring and changing the design over and over, the final test will be actually putting the assy. in the mule. From the measurements it looks like about the bump travel will be at 3" and the rocker to ground distance will be 6.5" to 7". Also I am bound and determined to not have any suspension in the cargo area, IMHO, it wrecks the whole idea of a wagon in the first place. I have designed the IRS to follow the the Miata suspension pickup points, they seem to work pretty good for the racers. If I have to change anything, which I am sure I will have to, it will happen on the mule and not on the final wagon.

This whole thing has been quite the journey so far, I have learned a lot about suspensions and have enjoyed the process.