OCTOBERFAST 2008

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2008

Post by bertvorgon »

Just after Manning Works yard, on the downhill, Cam and I saw 38 F. as the temperature going into the motor, after the intercooler...that's cold...that's power. It must have been close to freezing then, as the ambient temperature. Even with a shot of full boost, temperature only came up to the high 50's. I actually wondered about carb icing at that point, as the humidty would have been perfect for that. Only saving grace was the on and off throttle stuff, not a steady rate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Byron510 wrote:I just wrote a huge artical explaing the day - and lost it on the Realm cyber Black Hole... S**T

To frustrated to rewrite the two pages worth. Maybe I'll rewrite later it and sent in to Denis for publication.....

BlaaaahhhHHHHHH! :(

Byron
bertvorgon wrote:Byron, If I an writing something long, I do it in WORD, then cut and paste. I too have lost some stuff before Rob told me this trick. Frustrating as hell when that happens.
Keith's way works well, but here is a tip for those that would rather not have to open another program. I just copy my work before hitting the post button and if it disappears then all I do is hit the paste function and repost.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks Denis,

I ususally write in word simply for the spell check function. Bit I'm relegated to my wifes laptop for technical reasons at the moment, and there are so many touchy frikin buttons on this thing the just do things I don't understand - hence I lost 45 minutes worth of artical without knowing what I actually hit with my oversized hands! Argh!!!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

McShagger510 wrote:What a great day!
I couldn't agree more :D it was an honour to be a part of this cruise... I cant wait till next year when I get the rear end done so I can realy put it into the corners :lol:
Thanks guys for an awsome time

also I have a friend that is into filming and edititng and has to do projects for school all the time so if you want to get me copys of all the footage I can give it to him to put something together
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Rheis,

It was great to have you out. It's been a long time since a "new" member has joined us. A good way to dump some "new blood" in the deep end! You did really well in the group, and that is important. We've had our share of "hot shots" trying to prove themselves, and end up embarrassing us all. Keeping a cool head and retaining a competent image as best as possible what in a 9 car group is a tough balance on public roads, I think everyone did well which does make it a success.
Just curious if your G/F thought it was ok, or just a bunch of old boyz gone off the edge?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

510rob wrote:I missed the cruise. I sad.
Me too. I would have like to come out to snap some photos, but.... duty calls.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Byron510 wrote:Thanks Denis,

I ususally write in word simply for the spell check function. Bit I'm relegated to my wifes laptop for technical reasons at the moment, and there are so many touchy frikin buttons on this thing the just do things I don't understand - hence I lost 45 minutes worth of artical without knowing what I actually hit with my oversized hands! Argh!!!

Byron
The realm has a spell check function also, just right click over the word and it will show the correct spelling.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

So??? Where are the pics?
camt

Post by camt »

Good evening from balmy Victoria
Just got in the door and couldn't wait to see what everyone had to say regarding Octoberfast!! I was sooo wound up Friday night I don't think I slept 30 minutes, got out of bed at 4:30am, showered and met Keith and others at 232nd st., not really sure what I was in for. It was an awesome day, with awesome people, driving awesome cars, on awesome roads, going at an awesome pace!!! I don't remember ever driving my car that fast for that long!! It was truly a day i will not forget. I too am amazed at how well everyone did with cars that are more than 35 years old and in various states of tune and mods, constantly being changed, disassembled and re assembled with some receiving adjustments the day prior to going(mine was one, with repairs to the wipers). I put 15 gallons of av-gas in trunk(to be mixed 50/50 with chev 94), not really sure how much fuel I would need?? turns out I used all but 2.5 gallons. Got fuel at every Chevron stop we made. I guess ones not going to get optimal fuel economy traveling under those! :roll: conditions. Got back into Pt. Coquitlam at 7:15pm (took almost an hour crawling, to get over the Pitt River bridge). By Saturday at 8:30pm I was sound asleep and didn't move till 9am Sunday. We have all experienced that "feel good, tired" at some point in our lives, this one was special. Sunday afternoon washed the car, packed up and headed for the ferries. Looking forward to photos and movies along with the usual witty commentary!
Thanks again to everyone....cam t PSN NSN

PS: On the way home I started thinking of some roads on the island that would be worthy of the name Octoberfast :twisted: ??!!
PSN NSN
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

defdes wrote:So??? Where are the pics?
DSC01362 (Small).JPG
DSCN0124 (Small).jpg
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

It was a dark and rainy morning, cold as hell and some of the silly guys removed their heaters :shock: .... we started out at 5:30am; 10 cars started out, 9 510's and a Z, but, we lost the Z due to a oil pump failure just as we hit the highway .... and then there where 9 of us, 510's all ....

We stopped in Hope BC for fuel a little after 7am..

And the rain kept up for the first part ...

But, it started drying up after that

Lytton BC, I really needed the pee break

Onwards

Spence's Bridge BC, cold as hell that morning ....

Onwards to Merrit

Merritt BC, lunch, thank god!

Aspen Grove BC

Onwards to Princeton

Last fuel stop back in Hope BC, just completed the loop

Sure was a nice way to spend a long day with friends on Mr. Vorgon's "Great Rolling Dyno". For those of you who are local and haven't driven on one of our cruises, you need to come out with us. It's great fun!
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Jason, I would like all those pictures!!!

If anybody is taling to Andrew, ask him what out actual time in motion was? I can get this from my engine hour meter, but, I am curious as to what he has too. I was stuck in a bit of traffic on #1, which is still real world travel time.

I am going to review some of the video footage to night, should be interesting.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Morning Keith, I can ask Andrew about the time and distance. Ours would be a bit longer because of the need to take Cam home that night. I believe our total time on the GPS was something on the order of 16 hours plus though :shock: !

Have you checked your email Keith? I sent you a link to all of my pictures and you can tell me what you'd like from there. These ones I picked out last night for this thread and they are on my account over at datsun510.com under "jasonw". I also have some from Cam and Denis too.

Later

Jason
Jason
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Goichi, did the pictures show up for you? If not I sent you an email with a photopost link.
Jason
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I just worked out my fuel consumption for the trip, 79.04 Litres of fuel for 812 km's traveled, a little over 27mpg :twisted: !
Jason