Going Back to 70's

View and post your 510 project(s)
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Re: Going Back to 70's

Post by PMCS Rally »

Inspired by Eric's rally car, I searched my storage for Halda Twin Master and Heuer Rally Master....I serched all over but just can't find them. I checked them on Internet and people are asking $2K for Halda and $5K for Heuer......Collectors....I will continue my search....
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

......instead I found this......

Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I still have my Halda from my first rally car - in it's original box!
I found a brand new one, and only ran a few TSD's with it - hardly any mileage at all.
I had no idea it was worth so much. It the single counter version, but like I said, damn close to new. I even have a handful of gears for it!
Guess I'd better dig it out one day and blow the dust off the thing.
The mount I made for it is meant to screw into the stock ash tray screw mounts on a 70-73 510. I bought a T drive and had a custom cable made up, screwed that onto the back of the speedo, and the second drive cable went down to the Halda mounted just in front of the dash.
I wonder if I even have a single photo of that thing actually in the car, guess I'll have to take a look.

Man, that brings back a flood of memories - what a great time. I have an awesome shot of that car at opposite lock in the snow on supper narrow KumiHelenius studded tires - I think I’ll have to post that here once I get my computer back at home - if you don’t mind.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Byron510 wrote:I still have my Halda from my first rally car - in it's original box! Man, that brings back a flood of memories - what a great time. I have an awesome shot of that car at opposite lock in the snow on supper narrow KumiHelenius studded tires - I think I’ll have to post that here once I get my computer back at home - if you don’t mind. Byron
Halda with GEARS! I envy you.....after several relocations, I lost/misplaced many things on the way. Narrow Hakkapeliitta's for special stage on a frozen lake. Please post your photos and share your memory.....it was a great time.
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

It was not my original plan but after several thoughts I decided to put a carpet in.

Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Looking good Toshi! Now I see the Z-car center console........nice! Good choice with carpet, unless you really are gonna thrash it through the woods :shock: .
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Now I found these in a box sealed over 20 years ago. Bi-Oscar complete with relay/fuse harness. To an old driver, these will give more speed than turbo charged engines.

By the way, does anyone have a side draft carbs lying around in your backyard?

Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

SU/Hitachi's or Webers??
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Hi TJ,

I prefer SU but am open for Mikuni or Weber. Let me know if you come up with any.

Thanks,
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
ricohman

Post by ricohman »

No pics of the rust repair?
Sandblasted?
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Yes....

I spent two years for rust removal.....that is something I do not want to remember......and my camera was broken...
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I finally have my computer back - here's some shots of my first rally car I promised.

Byron
Attachments
Red Rally Car at Thunderbird '96036.jpg
Red Rally Car '960000-Winter.JPG
Rally Car0001.jpg
Last edited by Byron510 on 09 Nov 2008 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I loved this sticker I made fro the back window.
When I raced this car, I was so poor I often couldn't eat because I needed the money for gas - hence this sticker was born, and I had a decal made up.
Fun times, especially the snow rallies up north. The pic of me at opposite lock is a really grainy one, but I kicked ass on that rally, proudly creaming quite a few AWD cars on this very icy and challenging stage. I didn't have the HHP (L16 with twin Mikuni's, 4spd and open diff), but I had balls and didn't lift for anything. Preserving speed was the only name of the game, and on this stage I kicked some serious ass - it was awesome.

Byron
Attachments
Totem Rally 96059.jpg
Red Rally car write up0002 (Medium).JPG
Totem Rally 96058.jpg
PMCS Rally
Supporter

Post by PMCS Rally »

Byron,

Nice pictures...thin snow tires with studs....brings back a lot of memories...Gas and tires had higher priority than anything else.

Unlike some other fotunate teams, we are poor too. We used to sleep in a pickup truck before rally start ....couldn't even afford Joe's Motel....but nobody was complainig. The only chance for us to beat high powered car was downhill. How long you can keep your right foot on the gas pedal. Also, our Pace Note was always incomplete and we had no choice but to "drift" in high speed blind corners...

Street Special Stage (Downtown Vallejo CA)
Hairpin-Circus......
We Do It In Corners
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Oh man - sleeping in your car!!!

I couldn't even think about a tow vehicle when I rallied - so the car HAD to come home in one piece, more less.
I tried everything - tents, tarps - you name it. I had to carry most of the gear, since I rarely even had a chase vehicle, so not only did I have to compete with all this crap in the car, it usually meant that whatever was in the car was completely covered in dust when it came time to rest - or fix the car at destination???
Man, I learned a lot. And you know, I can safely say that I'm too old for that crap now! But hey, I did it.
As for sleeping, the best method for me was to sleep right in the car, harnessed into the seat, and then use pillows to keep your head up and not get too kinked for the next day - now this I don't miss :D
Fun days, fun times. I'm sure glad there were no digital cameras to prove what we did in those days. Few people took photos.
I can remember soldering together a rad in a parts store parking lot; bailing wiring together a half shaft to get me out of the bush. Once removing a half shaft in a welded diff to get it home. Another diff story was a broken split pin on the diff cross shaft - every once in a while on that drive home, the cross shaft would slide out just enough to hit the pinion gear or diff housing - BANG!! - But that one also made it home. (Funny enough, that trip home had two other competitors in the back seat as they’d rolled and destroyed their Rabbit – which was left in the bush!) If it weren't for my buddy Cam, who owned a Midas shop, I would have never been able to do this rally thing at all. I owe him so many thanks for all the time I used in his shop.

This is how I got started, besides a few solo II's. What a crazy world. Wonder what my daughter will think of dear old dad when she gets old enough to comprehend it?

Byron