Bears and life on the coast

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
510Freak
Supporter

Re:

Post by 510Freak »

datzenmike wrote:
nickledimeme wrote: Living on the edge of civilization seems to be more dangerous than living in the deep wilderness. We have a Cabin in Lake Chelan Wa. also, and it is 25 miles from town. You see wildlife, but it never comes knocking on our door. At least not yet. :shock:
I'd rather have cougars than crack heads.
Hahah
come here you can have the best of many worlds :P (all in one little city) :twisted:
510Freak
Supporter

Re: Bears and life on the coast

Post by 510Freak »

510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Well not a whole lot of noticable Yogi action,ther than in the neighbors yard..
till today..
I guess he was hungry,Had some trash up the alley.
Then stopped at the apple tree behind us,Brought them behind my shed,Had his feast ,Took a dump and was on his merry way :roll:
Now if I can teach him to do this :lol:
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Well Yogi still around,
Last thursday ,the pooch went crazy.the neighbor was out with the spotlight,He told us(did not see)there was a yogi under his deck trying to snooze :?
Said yogi growled at him(hmm shh dont wake me :P )
My pooch again scared the Yogi away(good job bud :wink: )
Bud(my pooch) dont like Yogi, he lets him know..
:mrgreen:
Yogi not been in our yard for some time now..(good job bud)
We had a adt security sales guy here the other night,He was alerted by other neighbors as to the yogi presence .
he said to me do you need to protect your family??
hmm ,yeh (bud) does it :wink:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

ADT needs to sell you a 12 gauge Lou!
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

jason wrote:ADT needs to sell you a 12 gauge Lou!
Nah we have bud..
he is a great runner(gunner)
Puts the run on em no probs
:mrgreen:
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

lure him with a pik-a-nik basket and send em back to jellystone...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Bud needs sme up-grades so he can run the security agent off too. Snarl.. GRRRRR!

I'm often working in the woods and when I come back to the office I mentioned to one of the tech-no-weenies that I came across a pile of bear shit in the woods. Without missing a beat he says 'Was it steamin'?" :lol:
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Lou, 6" and rising! Wow, at my age I still enjoy watching it like when I was a kid. What's it like down Island?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

datzenmike wrote:Lou, 6" and rising! Wow, at my age I still enjoy watching it like when I was a kid.
AH HA HA HA COUGH COUGH :twisted: ! Thanks Mike, I needed that laugh :lol: !
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

At work in south Burnaby we're sitting at 4"....
Enough to cause absolute havoc locally - and enough to declare extreme joy for me in my LSD equipped 170 HP Toyo Ice tyred shod Bavarian 510! Yeeehaw!
I'm about to leave, and burn some extra dead dinosaurs since it's so cheap these days.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

datzenmike wrote:Lou, 6" and rising! Wow, at my age I still enjoy watching it like when I was a kid. What's it like down Island?
Mike ,
In Port we have about 6 or so inches aswell...
I here that highway 19 is a mess as usual..
I wish I could go play in it :(
I do have to go to Nanaimo tomorrow.

lets restart the mama nature thread
phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5813&start=360

Edit
i just found out there is a school sports team on their way back(here Port) from the mainland..
I sure hope they have a safe trip,
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

jason wrote:
datzenmike wrote:Lou, 6" and rising! Wow, at my age I still enjoy watching it like when I was a kid.
AH HA HA HA COUGH COUGH :twisted: ! Thanks Mike, I needed that laugh :lol: !
Hahahahah
that is hilarious :mrgreen:
d510addict

Post by d510addict »

Ive heard of medical creams that are capsaicin concentrate.....its basically used to overload a persons pain receptors where its applied to basically deaden the area. That shit would prolly kill a bear if u made a spray with it. I dont know if it would be legal but some beanbag shot and hit one in the ass end if it gets too close to try and detir and give them reason to be wary. As some people have said these bears arent scared of you one bit so they wont think twice before wandering into your yard if htye have reason. Keep garbage and scraps in secure air tight containers and place trash cans away from your house maybe roadside? But what ever you do be very careful blackbears (which i assume is what you're dealing with are very dangereous and very curios even moreso when they have cubs so dont startle them.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

I love bears, the black ones make the best breakfast sausage and fur hats.

if you've never seen an abundance of black bears- in red blonde blackand brown colors, come visit my park from May 20th to June 20th http://www.explorewellsgray.com if you don't see at least 2 black bears, I'll eat a bug!

as for bear deterants... pepper spray is useless at less than 10 feet, and even then it only works every second time... I know this from close and personal experience. Your best strategy is to make noise... tragically bear bells do save lives, mostly tacky german toruist lives, but... i put my keys on a caribiner and hang them on a belt loop.. and i wear synthetic material pants.. not only are they usually waterproof, they make noise when they hit branches and as you walk. Put a baseball card in your spokes if you're mountan biking.

Garbage? seriously- hand it directly to the garbage man if you have bear problems. Bears are only attracted to garbage if they've had a taste of it before. We've had Bearproof garbage cans for about 12 years now.. before the bearproofs, we had a couple cans tumbled every night... we were destroying a half dozen "garbage habituated " bears a year.

Now that the bears can't get at the garbage in the cans, they don't even come around them, even if they are smelly. all it took was a generation of bears.. about 4 years with the Bearproofs, to see a huge reduction in problem bears, and 10 years to have no bear issues at all in the heart of bear country.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"