Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

vintageracer
Supporter

Re: Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

Post by vintageracer »

I assume that the grease will go to the highest point in the boot (CV joint) and will not be working toward the center, Centrifical force will take care of it. I just do not understand why they have a larger opening at the end of the boot (1/2" wider!) then the stock boots. I may go buy some other boots that are stock. I would feel a lot better about putting these new boots on these stock axles.
slodat

Post by slodat »

i have the EMPI axles, CV joints and boots on my car. Just looked under it. I have some where around 500 miles on the CV axles. No grease leaking out the boots..
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Just a thought... I'll be using an 84 r180 4x4 front diff under the car I'm curretnly putting together.. the 4x4 has CV joints but a different way of mounting to the Diff than our r160 diffs.

does anyone know if the empi shafts and the Datsun Nissan 4x4 ones are the same diameter(or have the same spline configuration)?

Thinking I could use the stock nissan 4x4 cv's on the diff side and the custom adapters on the wheel side...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

merlin...or you can use the inner style joints on both sides using 280zx turbo outer flanges. The axle length is going to be too long, most likely, though.

This is my current incarnation in the making (280zxt arms as well, which are wider and give me more space to use the longer shafts):
I'm your huckleberry.
nick64merc

Post by nick64merc »

How long do the axles need to be or how much are they shortening t he ones that are listed at th3e beginning of this thread?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

The dimension is on the drawing in the first post...
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

watts510 wrote:I dont belive the wolfcreek setup uses 930 cv's. I think they use 911 turbo. I was over at TSR and he had some 930 cv's and they were alot beefier than I expected.
FYI- 930 is Porsche code for a 911 Turbo.
bigjim5551212

Post by bigjim5551212 »

I might be ingorant on this matter, but would it not be easier to use 280ZX turbo or Diesel Maxima CV joints?
"He forgot more than what i know about a Datsun"
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I have a set of VW Vanagon axles. I sent them to be shortened and re-splined. The machinist felt he could not do the splines like the VW axles have with a built in shoulder. (splines are cold rolled into the axle before hardening- create a shoulder) He said that w/o a shoulder for the CV joint to butt up against, he felt the axle would "walk" back and forth after a while. (.020-.025 max movement) His cutter left a rounded spline end. I told him that I was not going to use these axles in competition... just street use. Anyone else run into this problem when shortening and re-splining. Note: The Vanagon axle is 27mm OD. Same diameter as the splines.
510Martinez

Post by 510Martinez »

I had the same thoughts. The shop copy that had been posted (not mine, but I downloaded it for reference and repost here) shows the shaft diameter (1.125") to be larger that the splines (1.060"), allowing for a hard stop. However, the splines on the Vanagon are the same diameter as the shaft. Coming inboard the cv would still run out of spline groove, but perhaps creating wear.

I'm not sure if this shop copy was from a different-sourced shaft or not. I don't have my calipers handy to measure the Vanagon axles I do have next to me, but they are the same diameter from end to end.

I would think an inner groove could be cut for a larger (o.d.) snap ring to create a hard stop. I will try to make time to ask about this next week.

vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

We talked about the groove and snap ring. My concern was strength. I do not like the idea of a groove 'after' the CV joint. It forms a perfect stress line for the axle to break.

I wonder... If the axle is "fixed" at the other end, will it be allowed to move? (maybe the CV joint will move a bit?) I think by using the fixed end (stock with a shoulder) at the diff side and the 'loose' axle on the wheel side would work the best. What do you think?
slodat

Post by slodat »

If you use the EMPI CV axles, I don't see there being any issue. Mine work great.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

My vanagon axles cost me $30 @. What did your EMPI axles cost, if I might ask?
slodat

Post by slodat »

As I clearly stated at the beginning of this thread they were $75 new with CV joints.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I cannot get the deal for the Empi axles. (no cores!) I went for new CV's and used axles. (I now have spare used CV's and boots!) I think it will all work out. My stock Dime will not know the difference cruisin' down the freeway. I think I got into this project about a cheap as you can with new stuff.

$200 for the adapters
60 for the axles
100 for new splines/shortening
103 for new CV's, boots, bolts

$463 Total for two new CV axles

Glad I did it. Thanks for all of your help, guys!