Headlights/COMMON FUSE shorting...

Dimelovr

Headlights/COMMON FUSE shorting...

Post by Dimelovr »

I have a newly aquired 72 sedan that I have just begun to dive into. One of many issues i got into this weekend was my dim headlight. Outer Driver's bulb was bright and the rest were dim. After looking through the post i took dimebag's advice and "douched" my wiring harness. Throughout this process I did the 'wiggle' test on the connections to better establish the problem. Somewhere throughout the process the "COMMON" fuse on the box shorted. Now, as soon as i put power through the "COMMOM" fuse, it shorts and fries another fuze. Can anyone give me a better idea of where effected grounds could be and could this be a relay issue?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Headlights/COMMON FUSE shorting...

Post by okayfine »

You need a wiring diagram.

Currently Paolo Musante offers up a mammoth 22” x 34” laminated wiring diagram, or a “standard” 11” x 17” version.

http://tinyurl.com/Paolowiring

Contact Paolo at paolo@cedarcomm.com or 360-657-2700.

What's the "wiggle" test and how does it do anything? Also, what's the condition of your fuse box? Solid, 100%, or do you have heat damage at some of the fuse holders that allow them to move when inserting new fuses? If you didn't have this problem before you cleaned the fuse box, it is quite possible that something you did during the R&R and/or cleaning helped the problem surface. This is more likely the more damaged your fuse box is.

If your fuse box is 100%, you're going to have to start looking at the wiring. If you don't want Paolo's diagram, you can get by with the FSM here:

http://www.datsun510.com/modules.php?na ... ne_Manuals
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson