which radiator for turbo?

bbalance

which radiator for turbo?

Post by bbalance »

I orginally was wanting to use a 944 turbo radiator on my sr20de turbo setup, but they're not much less than a ron davis. I was wondering if anybody has used the fiero radiator with a turbo setup, and how well it does in the heat. I would be running a 15 inch fan with it. Let me know what your opinions are, or if you have any other fairly inexpenisve alternatives. Thanks!
bbalance

Re: which radiator for turbo?

Post by bbalance »

surely somebody can answer this question??
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Have you tried the "search" key? I feel like I have read about this before.
bbalance

Post by bbalance »

Yeah i use that key often. I haven't found anybody running it with a turbo though.
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

i've wondered this myself. Would a rabbit radiator be sufficient?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

fo0manchu wrote:i've wondered this myself. Would a rabbit radiator be sufficient?

yes -maybe!!!

It worked fine on my 10:1 L motor with twin carbs and roughly 150 HP output. If you block the air flow with an IC in front of it - who knows, all bets are off.
A turbo application question like that posted above only comes into play if you sustain boost for long periods of time - not likely on a street car, so if your rad was OK in N/A form and wasn't marginal to begin with, it will likely continue to do the trick. The problem is that there are variables like what water pump you have such as cheap aftermarket stamped steel impeller types that obviously are not near as efficient as the OEM units or the higher volume 280Z upgrade (which requires a custom pulley or that you change the crank pulley and alternator mount to the 280Z units). The thermostat obviously has some effect (like does it even work, or is there one in place at all); how well you mount your rad in the car is a huge deal; such as is the rad getting all the air flow directed at it, or are there huge gaps all the way around that simply let air go around the rad instead of through it. There are many radiators out there that just seem huge for the task, yet there are deficiencies like the above mentioned that hinder the application.

So that's the maybe part. A rabbit rad worked well for me for years, even under competition in the above mentioned motor in my rally car.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
fo0manchu

Post by fo0manchu »

nice, sounds good byron!
bbalance

Post by bbalance »

Thanks for the reply byron. I was actually using the rabbit radiator all last summer and I never had any overheating issues with it. I just need to find a radiator with the inlet/outlet in the right location so it wont run into the intercooler piping. If I can't find the porsche radiator for a decent price I'm going to give the fiero radiator a shot.
cgydatsunguy

Post by cgydatsunguy »

I am running the Fiero radiator in my 510 with a 350 chevy and have had no problems. I also run an electric fan from a mid 90's GM quad 4 car. The 84-89 Corvette radiator will fit as well. I have been looking at them for a while and the dimensions look good. The pricing (via net) is very good as well. My engine is very dirty, I never got to clean it before I parked it for winter
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (176.63 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
1972 510 2 door
350 chevy with 700R4 4sp auto
R200 w/ 3.54 gears
280Z disc conversion with power assist
rack & pinion
daily driven every summer for last 7 years
510kev3917

Post by 510kev3917 »

I have a KA24DET and run a Griffin "Scirocco" dragster radiator with 1.5" tubes. You have to fab some basic mounts but it drops right in, looks like it should be there and keeps the engine at 170 all day and might get to 190 if you wail on it for extended periods of time. It can be ordered from summit for about $220 and can be ordered with left or right inlet/outlet combos.