Winter Storage of your 510

datzenmike
Supporter

loose pan bolts

Post by datzenmike »

I've pulled at least 2 L, amd 2 Z series motors this summer, all had at least several pan bolts that were finger tight! Going to check under my truck before winter. Is this caused by the cork like gasket, or whatever they use being thick and compressible?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

RE: loose pan bolts

Post by bertvorgon »

Yup, all of the above, plus heat cycles, oil saturation, blah blah. Nut and bolt checks are part of regular maintenance, and safety.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Winter Storage of your 510

Post by bertvorgon »

As I get my car ready for the driving season, I just finished another pre drive thing I do.

now is a good time to pull the grill off, and clean the radiator. I both blow air in from the back...to force stuff out the front, then, I use a small screw driver to pick out larger rocks, straighten any bent fins, etc.. it is amazing how may bugs, etc, get jammed into the front of our cars, as the air flow had pretty much a direct shot to the radiator.

Small task, but, it all helps when the summer gets hot.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Anyone have successful mouse prevention? I have read everything from dryer sheets to stockings filled with cat fur to a guy who made a 1' tall steel sheet wall around his car as the little buggers cant get a grip on it to climb over.
I have just put my 2 cars in the barn and was wondering...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

best mouse prevention.... .22 Cal. Hollow point...discourages the little buggers right away.....

Keith Law
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Maybe if I leave it out with one in the chamber and a pile of sunflower seeds, I could tempt them into a friendly game of Rodent Roulette?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Barn cats? The closest thing to perpetual energy as exists in the real world.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Barn cats hehehe that's a good one that'll work pretty well. Me, I am not a kitty person. I place a box of DE-CON rodent yummies directly under the 510 oil pan and certain areas upstairs and the main floor. So far I have removed three stiffies from the garage. A few years back I was putting food out in the corners and along the wall inside the garage and sitting in the 510 with .177 caliber CO2 pistol. Worked great!!! got 6 of the bastards and one recochet off the A pillar hence the conversion to the Yummies. I also plug up all the unibody holes around the engine compartment with rubber stoppers I have because them critters pack those inners with all kinds of crap.

"I hate Mises to pieces"
-Silverter Cat
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Moth Balls
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Dave Patten wrote:Moth Balls
Doesn't that smell get into the car though? I don't want my 510 smelling like grandmas closet.
Benzo

Post by Benzo »

has anyone tried damprid in the interior for moisture absorbtion?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just thought I would throw this one here this morning, for those of you that live in WET climates. Like I do. Now that we are into our winter rains, and much more driving in the dark, clear vision is so important for depth perception on dark, rainy nights.

This is absolutely the best product for cleaning that smear off your windshields/side windows, I have ever used.

No Touch Auto Glass Stripper. http://www.notouch.ca/product/auto-glass-stripper-37

My procedure for clearing glass is as follows.

Use this product on the windshield, side window's and rear window. I use a soft piece of flannel as my polishing cloth, doing 1/2 of the windshield, rubbing really HARD, then, I do the other side, letting the 1st side dry a bit. Then, I go back to the other side, and re-apply, rubbing hard again., quickly go back and do the opposite side again...then, RINSE and WASH with lots of water, the residual polishing compound off. The water should just SHEET off, no beading at all.

Then, make sure your wiper are in good shape, and I take the polishing cloth, and carefully wipe the wiper's surface edge, then wash the wiper blade edge with running water.

Do the same with back and side windows. I then ONLY put RAIN-X on my side and back windows...NEVER the windshield...unless you plan on doing it almost weekly, at least here in Vancouver where our wipers are on almost constantly.

I also only use 20/10 All Season window cleaner in my washer bottle, the best in my opinion. Most other washer
bottle solutions are just alcohol, which does NOT clean a windshield.

Happy clear vision.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As it is that time of year again to put our cars away ( at least for us Northerners ), I thought I would both bump this thread up and, a heads up on leaving your car sitting on the tires all winter.
As some of you know, my son and I just bought another 4 x 4 GM Tracker. This vehicle sat for 2 years in the same spot. Now I know that is an extreme, but, the tires are so flat on this thing it is unreal. When we first drove it, it almost shook your teeth out. It did start to get a bit better, but, after 1,400 Km they are shot! The distortion in the carcass is set, so a perfectly good set of tires with a ton of tread left, are garbage. The whole vehicle just has a whole set of harmonics going through it, as four pieces of distorted rubber zing around.

This takes me to our 510's, where we have to deal with a lot of vibration at the best of times, if everything is not as perfect as we can get it.

I store my car on jack stands all winter, so as NOT to have any issues in the spring. Some tires are worse than others. Why take a chance, just get it up in the air, plus, then you can do the underneath checkout anyhow.

Keith Law
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

bertvorgon wrote:As it is that time of year again to put our cars away ( at least for us Northerners ), I thought I would both bump this thread up and, a heads up on leaving your car sitting on the tires all winter.
As some of you know, my son and I just bought another 4 x 4 GM Tracker. This vehicle sat for 2 years in the same spot. Now I know that is an extreme, but, the tires are so flat on this thing it is unreal. When we first drove it, it almost shook your teeth out. It did start to get a bit better, but, after 1,400 Km they are shot! The distortion in the carcass is set, so a perfectly good set of tires with a ton of tread left, are garbage. The whole vehicle just has a whole set of harmonics going through it, as four pieces of distorted rubber zing around.

This takes me to our 510's, where we have to deal with a lot of vibration at the best of times, if everything is not as perfect as we can get it.

I store my car on jack stands all winter, so as NOT to have any issues in the spring. Some tires are worse than others. Why take a chance, just get it up in the air, plus, then you can do the underneath checkout anyhow.
After 20 years of storing the 510 here in NH I can honestly say I have never has issues with tires flat spotting. But I don't just let it sit and stay, I start it up a few times and let run to temp and some. I also roll it to different positions after i have shut it down. I've never used additives in the gas for storage either and this includes the snowblower and John Deere rider mower and never had starting issues. Mice I have their address, called De-Con pellets on mouse traps under the 510, gets them everytime. I also place rubber stoppers in all the frame holes for the winter for good measure. Now I have a nice C02 pellet pistol i don't get to use WAH!!

I could get some waste from work and sprinkle around the car,,,,Nah!!!
Attachments
Lou Work.jpg
Lou Work.jpg (82.72 KiB) Viewed 7159 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I was thinking about putting mine on jack stands this year and surrounding the jack stands with a 10" tall ring of steel flashing so the mice can't get in. It's so crazy, it just might work.