Performance

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
JohnR

Performance

Post by JohnR »

I am wondering if anyone has 1/4 mile times for the 510, and or data from a g-tech. I am building a 1970 2-door 510 ka24de. Obviously different spring rates, tires and vehicle weight for example would have to be taken into account, so if that information aswell could be included. I have never driven or taken a ride in a 510 before so I have no idea what to expect, or for that matter how big of a tire I am going to need to try and acheive traction.
defdes
Supporter

Re: Performance

Post by defdes »

You'll have more fun on a road coarse than a drag strip with a 510, but to each his own. There are some links on youtube you could check out, a VG30 I believe from someone on this site.
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Hello

Sorry i dont have any info for you but I do help out with a 1500hp fuel altered Blown Alcohol car and I am at the drag strip all the time. I might be able to give you some type of other help. I have heard that there is a datsun 510 that goes to Famoso drag strip in Bakersfield Ca (our home track) I will keep my eyes out for it and if i find it I will try to get some info on the car and a contact number for you. Its funny the guys that i help want me to put my 4dr on the strip rather then build a rally car out of it. But if i do a drag car it will be a slingshot. Where are you located? I do all the welding on our race cars if I am close to you I dont mind helping out with your build.

Here is a video of our cars the one pulling our fuel altered we built in 28 days for Dragfest. It has a 454 in it and we finished building the car at the track. you can see from the video that the altered car has some damage to it we also rebuilt that car during the same time we built the white car. It was a ton of welding and work to get both cars ready within a month to run at dragfest. the Altered is a 7 sec car.

http://tinypic.com/r/2n0k9k9/5"

Mike G
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JohnR wrote: I have never driven or taken a ride in a 510 before so I have no idea what to expect, or for that matter how big of a tire I am going to need to try and acheive traction.
Ignoring the pitfalls of your situation, you can calculate the expected power-to-weight ratio of your completed car and compare that with other cars you're more familiar with to get a decent estimate of acceleration you can relate to.

My KA510 was 2200 pounds and with a stock KA gave ~15lb/HP. A third-generation Acura GS-R was ~17lb/HP, so it's slower.

Best bet for traction is to install a Subaru LSD. LSD and 3.7 gearing will help. My KA had 195/60/14s and traction wasn't a problem as long as I didn't make it one.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I know that the 510 is not suited to drag racing however I plan mostly for the autocross, but some friends drag race so I will tag along mostly for the social aspect (would still like to have a decent showing). For a differential I am using 3.9:1 r200 lsd. Specialty engineering springs front and rear. Haven't decided on rims and tires need at least 14" to clear 280zx front brakes.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JohnR wrote:For a differential I am using 3.9:1 r200 lsd. Specialty engineering springs front and rear. Haven't decided on rims and tires need at least 14" to clear 280zx front brakes.
R200 is serious overkilll for a KA, unless you plan on eventually going turbo with it. Driven like you own it (not like you stole it), a R160LSD will take KA power easily and save you weight and the complexity of fitting the R200. Is your R200 viscous, or clutch-pack?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i cant find the member, but hes in the 10's w/the straight 6 & blah-blah-blah.

its on utube & here somehwere??? :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Going to order a Quaife ATB. I know the pitfalls of the r200 but alas it is already in the car I modified the 300zx cv shafts and the 510 flanges. And after I sort out any weak links n/a, I plan on putting a gt3076 turbo in. I was just wondering what sort of tire combination people are running in terms of traction not whatwill it fit. Appearance and functionality may yield different results 205/40-16 may look cool but 225/50-14 may get out of th hole quicker. Also trying to figure out where it will compare to my 2002 Honda Hatchback, exhaust, intake, tein coilovers, strut bars, etc..
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JohnR wrote:Going to order a Quaife ATB. I know the pitfalls of the r200 but alas it is already in the car I modified the 300zx cv shafts and the 510 flanges. And after I sort out any weak links n/a, I plan on putting a gt3076 turbo in.
That's what I thought :mrgreen:
JohnR wrote: I was just wondering what sort of tire combination people are running in terms of traction not whatwill it fit. Appearance and functionality may yield different results 205/40-16 may look cool but 225/50-14 may get out of th hole quicker.
Well, engine powerband and how you launch it will also be in the equation. Once you get it rolling few cars, and fewer 510s, can break 'em loose again. If you want to talk with someone who sends their high-powered 510 down the 1/4, e-mail Dave Lum at www.datsuns.com.
JohnR wrote: Also trying to figure out where it will compare to my 2002 Honda Hatchback, exhaust, intake, tein coilovers, strut bars, etc..
It's just power-to-weight. If you made the right choices in suspension and tires for your Honda, it'll likely be faster through the corners ('02s still had double wishbone suspension, right, or did they switch to struts by then?). Acceleration will likely favor the 510, even with the stock KA. It'll be quite quick.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

hang_510 wrote:i cant find the member, but hes in the 10's w/the straight 6 & blah-blah-blah.

its on utube & here somehwere??? :twisted:
That must be 510six you are talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGNn9lcduyk
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

COOL video that is our home track too so he is probably not too far from me.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

My honda is much heavier than the 510 and unfortunately it is not the double wishbone setup. Thanks for the links. I will check them out. It just seems everyone I know says how fast the 510's are but no one has any track experience to back it up, except for one guy I know how dominated the autocross, but that is more about controlling what class you are in and I think has a great deal to do with the driver. All the drag racing up here is bracket so as long as you are consistent you are competitive.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JohnR wrote: It just seems everyone I know says how fast the 510's are but no one has any track experience to back it up,
Track as in 1/4 mile, or track as in race track? Virtually no one runs a 510 in a drag race because the forum poorly suits the car, especially the design of the rear suspension. I pointed you to Dave for drag experience, between Dave and the guy with the blue L-series drag 510, that's probably 95% of the drag-510 experience, right there.

510s are as slow and as fast as anything else out there. 510s are somewhat more easily modified, so big power is "easy," however no one makes bolt-on stuff like exists for modern cars. And, big power doesn't necessarily make a car "fast."
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

All of my 1/4 mile will be on an airstrip prepped for drag racing. I know that all things being equal it is money spent that goes fast. I guess what I was looking for was some qualification to the speed of the 510 versus people saying they are fast. Again this comes from the fact that I have niether ridden in or driven a 510. Let alone a ka24de 510. Oh well I guess I will just have to get mine on the road and try it!!!

Thanks for the info!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JohnR wrote:I know that all things being equal it is money spent that goes fast.
You spend $10,000 on a 510, I spend $5,000 on a '65 Nova, I bet I get to the end of a 1/4 mile faster than you.
JohnR wrote: I guess what I was looking for was some qualification to the speed of the 510 versus people saying they are fast.
That's fine, but you're looking for qualification via a method that is rarely utilized in the 510 world. Very, very few people drag 510s, so there's little data to give. Dave will talk your ear off, anyway.
Last edited by okayfine on 20 May 2009 10:50, edited 1 time in total.