Turbo HL510

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
philip1

Re: new member with an hl 510

Post by philip1 »

I've been rolling around an idea in my head and this car might get some attention in this way.... Anyone remember the Dodge omni/Plymouth horizon? they had flared fenders stock and not small flares either I may just pick up 4 front fenders and go for it
Piecing together a turbo Z22s 1981 HL510
Phil
I have the last of the Dimes
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The early Omni had huge flairs like a VW rabbit, but the '79-'82 Omni 024 and later Charger didn't. Later Horizon's were called TC3 and Tourismo and had smaller ones as well. ...and yes a good choice.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Early Rabbits had similar metal flares that would fit a 510's opening.

edit: beaten
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
philip1

Post by philip1 »

Now for the really difficult part of this whole equation I live in NC the car is in WA I need to figure out how to get the car from WA to NC on a shoestring budget
Phil
philip1

Post by philip1 »

I have figured out how to get the car out here. I wonder if I should go ahead and turbocharge it when I go to pick it up since its at my dads fully equipped fab shop?
Phil
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

philip1 wrote:I have figured out how to get the car out here. I wonder if I should go ahead and turbocharge it when I go to pick it up since its at my dads fully equipped fab shop?
If you're not driving it back, sure. If you are, I'd rather have it as reliable as possible, whether that means keeping it stock or going ahead with the turbo addition.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
philip1

Post by philip1 »

yah I decided to fab up all the turbo bits then drive back N/A. Although I may leave the box on the carb and just hang the filter on the boost pipe LOL. Actually since the turbo will be fed by a pipe off the manifold, I could probably fab everything up pipe it and then just not connect the exhaust from the mani. I have it all planned out I just need to get to the car and DO IT!!!
Phil
philip1

Post by philip1 »

I have a nice turbo picked out for this. Not sure where I got it but I have a turbo from a 1979 Mustang turbo. as a draw through turbo system it sucked ;D but I think it will fit the bill for my application. below is not my turbo but it is the model I will be using
Phil
icebones

Re: Turbo HL510

Post by icebones »

phillip,
can't wait to see this finished. As a former HL510 owner, this was the kind of mod i dreamed of. I always wanted to do this to mine, but at the time was convinced by a 60's muscle car guy that you didn't do this to "those" kind of cars. (Early 90's before the foreign car mod craze started) Please keep us updated with pics etc.
philip1

Post by philip1 »

This last weekend I was able to get a lot of work done on the 510. I installed the exhaust so it isn't running an open down pipe and has a cat. I also lowered the car a bit by cutting 2 coils out of the stock springs (still plenty of travel left). I'll be adding new shocks and struts next time I work on the car as the stockers are quite soft and tired. I am still thinking about adding a turbocharger to this thing. I have a nice Mazda BOV from an RX-7 turbo now and I have plans drawn up for the box the carb will live in.

Anyway enough typing..... ON TO THE PICS

I do plan on paint some time in the future (white again) and the wheels will see some serious cleanup soon.
Phil
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have a suggestion that may solve some of the boost issues that tend to happen:
A Z22E out of a 200SX is mechanically speaking a direct bolt-in for your car - with of course the added electronics. This initial swap may solve some of the carby issues, and then you can mildly boost the OEM set up for starters (less than 6psi should be no problem at all).
Just a thought since the chassis would accept such a change so easily.

Keep us updated, good to see you are still working on it.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
philip1

Post by philip1 »

EFI would be nice but it adds about 5-10 layers of complication to the stack I am already dealing with. I have most of the components purchased for this and will be starting fabrication sometime in the future. The manifold for the turbo will be rudimentary just a log manifold but compact. The carb box will be simple just a box with fittings for throttle fuel and vac lines.

I will not be adding EFI at this time perhaps down the road but not now
philip1

Post by philip1 »

WOW I really put this on the back burner..... its time to revive this long dead project.

Since the last installment:
I gave the car to my niece to use for college she is now buying a new car and wants to give the car back. :D
I still need to bring it cross-country to NC from WA but at least I know it all works correctly. The turbo never happened so the car is still N/A but its sprightly. I have tuned the car to be quickish and fun (many trips back and forth for family events).

I do still want to turbocharge this thing but now I plan to use EFI. HP goals are 10psi worth. That should put it in the 180-200hp range with intercooling and be dead reliable too. For the turbo I may go with a Subaru wrx tdo4 they are cheap and plentiful also they are small enough to lower the boost threshold. the intercooler will be an Ebay special 2.5" core probably a 27x5x2.5 core. now duee to the lack of datsun parts out in NC i'll probably come up with some ugly EFI solution but it will be effective.

I will try to keep this more up to date since the car will be mine again.
Phil
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have to admit, that's pretty awesome that you gave to car to someone in need, and that it's now coming back to you and you can pick up (more less) from where you left off. Great story, keep us posted. Lots of knowledgeable turbo mod guys on the site to help you out.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
philip1

Post by philip1 »

I am excited about getting the car back. Plus my kid brother wants to road trip with me to bring the car here.
Phil