My first car, 510 Q's

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Grajeda

My first car, 510 Q's

Post by Grajeda »

I just bought a 72 datsun 510, and wanted to know what good modifications i can do the suspension amd brakes , for performance and so i can have it low to the floor.
http://s752.photobucket.com/albums/xx16 ... 012-00.jpg
Last edited by Grajeda on 05 Aug 2009 14:01, edited 3 times in total.
goatee
Supporter

Re: My first car, 510 Q's

Post by goatee »

Heya man, I can tell you everyone is probably going to ask you a bunch of questions before they will tell you much. You'll need to be ready with things like what are you planning on doing with the car, street track etc? What kind of skills do you have, etc.
So spell it out a bit more, give us some background and then the info will flow.

Well....maybe. :mrgreen:
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The best question you can ask yourself is:
What's my budget?
The next question is: what do you want to use it for?
Next: wheel/tire combo? Will this require body modifications?
Next: how low do you really want it?

From there you can go anywhere, but we'd need to know this before we can even start to help you.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Grajeda wrote:I just bought a 72 datsun 510, and wanted to know what good modifications i can do the suspension amd brakes , for performance and so i can have it low to the floor.[img]C:\Users\Guest\Documents\Bluetooth\Inbox\0803090943-00.jpg[/img]
[img]C:\Users\Guest\Documents\Bluetooth\Inbox\0803090944-00.jpg[/img]

Welcome to the realm.

Please read the info at this link first and then post more questions.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12575
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

My brothers is a mechanic, he put a SR20 in his 240sx, so we're going to try to put one in the 510,
Just going to use in the streets, daily driver
I have money, but still dont want to waist to much
want 15'' rims with 40 or 45 tires
want the car low, want the fender to go over the tires
the guy i bought it from, tried to roll the fenders,but just made them ugly, so i have to fix that anyways
Last edited by Grajeda on 04 Aug 2009 14:23, edited 5 times in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Grajeda wrote:My brothers is a mechanic, he put a SR20 in his 240sx, so we're going to try to put one in the 510,
Just going to use in the streets
I have money, but still dont want to waist to much
want 15'' rims with 40 or 45 tires
the guy i bought it from, tried to roll the fenders, so i have to fix that anyways
So, you didn't read the link Qwik510 posted above? How about answering Byron510's questions?

An SR20 into a 240SX is nothing compared to putting the same engine into a 510.

I'd get the car reliable, running well, and replace the things it needs instead of slamming in the things you want.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Grajeda

Post by Grajeda »

I reed Qwik510's link, and tried to answer Bryon's510 Questions. I have a reliable car thats running great for a 72 510, with a L20.

So now im tryin to go the next step.

And need advice on what to put
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Grajeda wrote:I reed Qwik510's link, and tried to answer Bryon's510 Questions. I have a reliable car thats running great for a 72 510, with a L20.
You said in your OP that you just bought the car. You also seem to be new to 510s. Between those two key points, I'm not sure you can really say what you have, or what you want to do with it. An SR installation is a lot of money, a ton of work, and it requires a lot of modifications to the car/chassis/suspension/brakes/cooling/fueling along the way.

We're all just trying to get a feel if you appreciate that. The last thing we want to see is a cut up 510 parted out, especially since it's running and reliable and all.
Grajeda wrote:So now im tryin to go the next step.

And need advice on what to put
For an L20B 510, stock 510 brakes, if maintained well, are just fine, especially for a street car.

DQ Volume 3 Issue 3 - Optimizing the stock brake system - Looking to improve your 510's brakes without having to swap in larger discs or going to the hassle of an entire brake swap? The stock system can be made to work pretty well...

found here: www.dimequarterly.com

The defacto-standard upgrade is to 280ZX front struts/discs, documented here:

DQ Volume 2 Issue 4 - 280ZX brakes stop your 510 on a dime - So you've made your car fast, but can it stop? How does four-wheel disc brakes sound? We'll show you how to swap the brakes from a 280ZX into your 510.

You want to go bigger, and I don't recommend it, you can do this:

DQ Volume 5 Issue 3 - Bigger Brakes, Wider Track - The 280ZX front brake upgrade is a great way to improve your 510’s stopping. A drawback is the loss of front track width, which can cause wheel to strut tube interference and necessitate the use of spacers and longer studs. We’ll show you how to improve on this set-up further and restore the front track width to almost stock.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
FlyingO

Post by FlyingO »

Get used to being a 510 owner first. Go slow and remember that the car is almost 40 years old. That's OK but do not I repeat, do not jump into any modifications until you are sure that is where you want to go.
Welcome to the 510 clan and enjoy the ride.
dscn0894jpg
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Hey also uploaded your pictures to something like photobucket and then link to them so we can see your ride! :D
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.