Stock Carb Problems

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
brainfood

Stock Carb Problems

Post by brainfood »

I am trying to get my 72 running so I can start driving it daily to while I work on it so I just threw a used stock carb on the l16 to try and get it going. Went to start it last night and I poured fuel down the carb and started right up. Kept it going this way for a while to prime the float. Once the float was full I figured there was no need to pour fuel into the intake it should run fine off the carb now. I went to start it and nothing so I put my hand over the carb and it started and would idle with my hand blocking the intake of the carb but as soon as I started to remove my hand it would die. I am not familiar with the stock carb setup and dont know what i should be looking at to rememdy the situation. Seems like its not drawing fuel through the jets like the venturi isnt doing its job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Stock Carb Problems

Post by datzenmike »

brainfood wrote:I am trying to get my 72 running so I can start driving it daily to while I work on it so I just threw a used stock carb on the l16 to try and get it going. Went to start it last night and I poured fuel down the carb and started right up. Kept it going this way for a while to prime the float. Once the float was full I figured there was no need to pour fuel into the intake it should run fine off the carb now. I went to start it and nothing so I put my hand over the carb and it started and would idle with my hand blocking the intake of the carb but as soon as I started to remove my hand it would die. I am not familiar with the stock carb setup and dont know what i should be looking at to rememdy the situation. Seems like its not drawing fuel through the jets like the venturi isnt doing its job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unless this carb came of a running car I would have rebuilt it first. Having your hand over it is the same as having the choke on. Obviously it is starved for fuel so possibly the main jet is blocked/plugged.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
brainfood

Re: Stock Carb Problems

Post by brainfood »

Thanks I was think about buying a rebuild kit today. I tried starting it while holding the electric choke closed and it made no difference. It's def. Starved for fuel your right. I am going to pull the carb off and at least clean it out. Thanks for the advice