i need info and a trans.....

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Ryan@CiNcity

i need info and a trans.....

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

well i have a datsun 510 with a swapped KA24E in it. i need to find out any and all transmissions that will bolt up directly to my KA. i can fab stuff up to get in in the car i just need to know which ones will bolt up. i need to keep my options open cause im home visiting family in IL and i was suppose to be home today...... so i need to find something that will work ASAP.

ill get the part numbers from the current trans that just crapped out on me but ill have to get it on the lift so ill need some time for that.

so if anyone has a list of transmissions that will fit...... PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

and i dont have time to search im running all over the place in a mad dash to get something so im not around a computer at all times..... so please dont tell me to search...... ive already heard it enough on other forums already.

sorry if im coming off as a jerk but i am suppose to be back in ND for something really important and im really stressed out right now. so i apoligize.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: i need info and a trans.....

Post by okayfine »

Well, there are transmissions that bolt up, and there are transmissions that will get you out of your fix. I say that because, IIRC, the Z-series stuff will bolt up, but are not the same length, so you'd have to at least deal with driveshaft issues.

Keep it simple, look for a KA24E, either from an 89/90 240SX or from a 8/89-'96(?) D21 hardbody.

Datzenmike will be along shortly, he sniffs out transmission threads.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

well and i didnt even think of the driveshaft issue.... FML!!! the trans that is in it now is a short tail trans??? what the hell is a short tail trans out of? and if i get a normal KA trans im gonna need shorter driveshafts... UGH!!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Ryan@CiNcity wrote:the trans that is in it now is a short tail trans???
Are you sure?

Transmission
Nissan 240SX AA0147 $325 Rockford Auto Parts USA-IL(Rockford) Request_Quote 1-815-964-3396 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission
Nissan 240SX MT 113,000 FS000395 $Call Four Star Auto Parts & Glass, Inc. USA-IL(Blue-Island) E-mail 1-708-239-3151

Transmission
Nissan 240SX 1.90;FWD;2.4;DNR-MAN -TRANS-5SP 66,000 CA9593 $Call City Auto Parts & Glass USA-IL(Calumet-City) E-mail 1-708-862-2700

Lots of stuff in surrounding states (IN and WI specifically), but that's all I could find for IL. Dunno if any of those are close.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

ok i got some numbers off the trans. frim what ive been told its a short tail trans.... i have no idea what that is or what its from.

anyways the numbers on the front section are: ZL 71B with a #5 right below that. and there is a #2 stamped on the rear section of the trans. i took some pictures and they are uploading now. ill post them in a few.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The KA24E came with a FS5W71C transmission. There are two lengths depending is in the car 240sx or the D-21 Hardbody truck. I believe the Hardbody tranny is the shorter of the two at (about)33" the S13 is around 35".

All FS5W71B type (Z20/22/24 series) trannys will bolt up to the KA24E motor. They can be found in the '80-'83 200sx with Z20 and Z22 motors and '81-'86 720 trucks (Z22 and Z24). The FS5W71B tranny slowly morphed into the stronger FS5W71C tranny so if you get one, get the '84-'86 truck one with the improver internals. The 720 truck tranny came in 31.5" and 26.3" lengths.

Measure you present trans so we can identify it, a picture would also help.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

hope this helps.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

FS5W71B type from a 720 truck. The picture doesn't show it, but I would expect that it does not have a speedometer drive in the tail stock. I know that these short ones were used in the King Cab and long wheelbase trucks but have only seen (I have one) them in 4X4 trucks... thus the missing speedo drive in the tailstock. The 2wd King Cab and long wheelbase trucks may use the short transmission, and if so, would also have the speedo drive in them. As for the years?... again I've only seen '84 and up 720 trucks with the Z24 motor have them, there could be other years. Look for it to be 26.3" long. All others are 31.5" long and won't fit without shortening the driveshaft and maybe moving the rear tranny mount back. Sorry I can't help you more, I wish I knew more about them.

mike
Last edited by datzenmike on 04 Sep 2009 13:53, edited 8 times in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Transmission
Nissan Truck 720 5 SPD 4 X2 AA5220 $375 Rockford Auto Parts USA-IL(Rockford) Request_Quote 1-815-964-3396 Request_Insurance_Quote

Transmission
Nissan Truck 720 6 82,2.2,F-5 111,000 A 081499 $300 Bryant's Auto Parts USA-IL(Westville) E-mail 1-800-252-5087

Or search for yourself at www.car-parts.com
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

WOW you guys are amazing... i honestly dont know what else to say......

so when i call/search places i need to ask for a 5 spd trans out of a 720? is that the datsun 720 or was it changed to nissan by then? and from what i read im looking for one from a king cab or a 4x4? am i reading this right?

again you guys are amazing and have releaved alot of stress now that i know what to look for.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

In light of Mike's edits, I've rerun the search:

They also ask this while searching:

M.T., diesel
A.T.
M.T., gasoline (Z24), 4x2, 16" ext housing
M.T., gasoline (Z24), 4x4, 16" ext housing
M.T., gasoline (Z24), 4x2, 12" ext housing
M.T., gasoline (Z24), 4x4, 12" ext housing

So if we select the shorter Z24 we get only this:

Transmission
Nissan Truck CK EXT HOUS 18611 $Call Bilderback's Auto Parts, Inc. USA-IL(South-Beloit) E-mail 1-800-566-1859
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The 720 truck: Made from '80 to '86.5. Only 1980 used the L series motor. From '82 on only the Z series (gas) and SD 22/25 diesel were made. The name changed from DATSUN to NISSAN in '83.

Long or short? I have tried several times to find out which trucks had the short 26.3" tranny and can find no consensus among owners. I have one from an '83 that is a 4X4 but have just heard that they can be found in 2wd also. Anything is possible. Just specify that it must be 26" long and fit a Z series motor. Okayfine lists a 12" and 16" extension housing so go with the 12". I measured my shorty extension (tail stock) and it's really 11.25" and the long is 16.5" so it's rounded off to make it easier.
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

i have a few places checking the length on their trans' but with the long weekend im affraid it might be tuesday before i can get one uless i can find one locally from someone on one of the boards.
Ryan@CiNcity

Post by Ryan@CiNcity »

so im not having much luck trying to find the trans thats in the car. so now im looking for an original trans and driveshaft that would fit my KA motor. im located at 61021 and if anyone knows of any trans and driveshafts in the state of IL let me know asap.