can you put a newer (like '72) style dash in a 69?

Yellowcar

can you put a newer (like '72) style dash in a 69?

Post by Yellowcar »

thanks
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

My yellow car is a 69 witht he later dash

Eric Edwards(privious owner) and Dave Carrol did the conversion.

cant say more than that but pretty staright fwd but gas gauge/temp gauge seem slightly off

make sure to get blinker emerg switch also
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Converting a 69 to a 70 on dash isn't too hard. There will be two mounts that you will need to add on the lower corner of the 69, if you are installing a later dash. Make sure you get the heater controls with the newer dash - cables are different. If you are working on a 68, then there's more work involved, as the heater unit is totally different and I'm not sure about the windshield vents. In either case, the wiring is different, and if you are taking the dash from a donor car, I’d suggest grabbing the entire dash, under hood harnesses and fuse box.
I converted my car (69) to a Canadian 68 dash, which was a bolt in, so that I could use the 69 SSS Coupe gauge cluster. I did not install a heater, which is a real problem if it rains - not recommended, and I'm looking for solutions.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jonmorine

Re: can you put a newer (like '72) style dash in a 69?

Post by jonmorine »

Sorry. Digging up an old thread. Can you put just a glovebox from a 70-73 into a 69? Or would I have to complete the whole conversion? My glovebox looks like poo.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jonmorine wrote:Sorry. Digging up an old thread. Can you put just a glovebox from a 70-73 into a 69? Or would I have to complete the whole conversion? My glovebox looks like poo.
No. They're completely different, and it probably wouldn't look any better once you did.

What part is bad? I have a good-condition glove box well for a '69, and I have (somewhere) other assorted parts.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

The well actually has a whole cut on the top section for some reason. Its nothing I can't live with. I have a newer glove box and I just wanted to be sure before I started to tear things apart.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jonmorine wrote:Sorry. Digging up an old thread. Can you put just a glovebox from a 70-73 into a 69? Or would I have to complete the whole conversion? My glovebox looks like poo.
No the later glove box will not fit, the dash is a totally different shape with the later dash (70-73) being physically taller, and deeper. A complete conversion would be required, as well as the necessary electrical changes.

What part of your glove box is weathered? The door or the cardboard insert behind?
I know that most 69 dashes didn't last the years very well. The plastic warps in the sun light, and the padding tends to crack and disintegrate. The 68 dashes faired much better because they were all metal (in Canada) - US 68 dash is a different story. All years of dash pads, however, are subject to the blazing rays of the sun, and if not properly protected (like keeping them out of the sun all together), then they will also warp, crack and otherwise look like crap!

Byron
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

The outside part of the box is completely faded and the interior has been cut for some strange reason.
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Byron, can you point me to pictures of an all-metal '68 dash?

Jon, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a couple pictures of the '69 well I have. Actually, if you could post a picture of what you've got, I'll dig up bits of what I've got (uh, if I have anything other than the well). Shipping would be fun, though. :(
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

okayfine wrote:Byron, can you point me to pictures of an all-metal '68 dash?

Jon, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a couple pictures of the '69 well I have. Actually, if you could post a picture of what you've got, I'll dig up bits of what I've got (uh, if I have anything other than the well). Shipping would be fun, though. :(
Sure, Julian - rusty and all!

I try to find a photo of Ole Blue's dash, but these two of Rich's wagon will give you an idea. The only thing not metal is the pad - even the ashtray in 68 was all metal, unlike the 69 one which was plastic. This pad has a slight warp to it, new they were entirely flat (and someone added Kmp/h conversion to the speedo in yellow which also should not be there). This is the same dash that is now in the Bronze, with the 69 SSS gauge panel.

Byron
jonmorine

Post by jonmorine »

okayfine wrote:Byron, can you point me to pictures of an all-metal '68 dash?

I am away on business until Friday but I will take a pic then. I will send you my email. Thanks Julien
2009 Subaru STI
1969 Datsun 510
2009 VW Rabbit