headlights no worky!! grrrrrrrrrr

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
jesusno2

headlights no worky!! grrrrrrrrrr

Post by jesusno2 »

so i've gotten quite far on resurecting my goon from the dead. ka swap, replacing parts etc etc. well ive gotten to the point now where im putting everthing back together. i installed new h4 headlights and i got those installed along with my turnsignals all new bulbs everywhere. cleaned every connection i could possibly find. Today i installed my turnsignals and their working fine. but i have no headlights i have battery power to the plugs, but all three prongs are live is'nt one supposed to be a ground??? i'm guessing i might have a bad switch but my park light work fine. and i have no turn signals at all. any one else have any input on this? the harness is all in tact car was a automatic maybe i'm missing something??
Dimebag

Re: headlights no worky!! grrrrrrrrrr

Post by Dimebag »

have you done a wiring upgrade like the one I posted here?

a while back I also posted a drawing of the stock headlight system for your reference.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

No I have not done any mods to the headlights just installed the h4 replacements the whole entire harness is bone stock and un cut that I can tell. What's weird is I unplug the stock headlight relay all my plugs at the headlights still have power its gotta be a short in the system somewhere I don't have turn signals that work either lol!
James

Post by James »

Did things change when you installed the new bulbs? You do know the headlights have constant positive and the negative is switched - in stock form?
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

James wrote:Did things change when you installed the new bulbs? You do know the headlights have constant positive and the negative is switched - in stock form?
This. You will see 12V+ at each prong until you swtich on the headlights, after which the circuit will ground one of the prongs and give you lights.

You may have a dead/dying headlight relay, a broken headlight switch, or bad wiring in the stock system. Keep in mind, as Dimebag has directed you to, you'll want to rewire your headlight circuit for the H4s. Yes, they're triggered just like the stock lights and, yes, they use the same headlight plug, but you're switching from pulling 35w x2 through the stock headlight switch to pulling 55w x2 through the stock headlight switch. It's a bad design since all that power will go through the stock headlight switch in a stock system. Dimebag's link shows you how to draw power for your headlights and bypass the headlight switch.

That alone probably won't fix your issue, but you'll want to do it regardless.

When you pull the switch for headlights, does your headlight relay click? Are your fuses good? Not that they just look good, but do they have continuity through the fuses? Fuse box corroded? Your H4 buckets grounding to the chassis?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

You guys are so helpfull I really had no idea how the headlight circuit worked (now I do!!) I don't know if my relay is clicking when I hit the switch I'm guessing not lol. My fuse box is all brand new nos and all my fuses have juice etc I hoping that relay is the culprit.
James

Post by James »

jesusno2 wrote: I hoping that relay is the culprit.
More than likely - have had to fix them a few times on various 510's -
Finished is better than perfect......
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

jesusno2 wrote: i'm guessing i might have a bad switch but my park light work fine.
it still could be the switch.

a continuity meter can confirm the second set of contacts work.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

Well I got them to work! The relay contacts inside were fliped completley over the little plastic stopper inside. I flipped em back into the groove and whalllaa!! Headlights!
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

jesusno2 wrote:Well I got them to work! The relay contacts inside were fliped completley over the little plastic stopper inside. I flipped em back into the groove and whalllaa!! Headlights!
Hey, nice work! It's always great to hear a problem resolved -though I would recommend replacing it with a new Bosch unit anyways.

btw - what does "whalllaa" mean - is that like "abracadabra"?
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Probably a derivative of the french voila'. Meaning to call attention to something or express satisfaction with something accomplished.
Last edited by datzenmike on 10 Oct 2009 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

it just a oregonian word i suppose ha ha ha look i even took a picture!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Nah, I've heard it and said it myself and I've only been to Oregon once. Never did write it, but... :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson