Chris' 72 Project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
heirfaus

Re: Chris' 72 Project

Post by heirfaus »

Well it seems like almost EVERY system on the car is in need of my attention and I have been giving a little of my time to different areas so no huge progress. Still trying to get it to 100% reliability as a daily driver. Under 90 degrees F it seems to very pretty solid.

I added a little doubler that Luke(Jesusno2) made for me

I also installed the "Design Racing Products" steering box brace onto the box and need to just add the bolts on the side. I whole heartedly hope you guys don't buy this brace. I don't have another to compare, but this one was a disappointment. The picture on the site showed it all shiny and it arrived dull and flat (I know not a huge deal, but kinda false advertising!) The bolt holes don't line up on the steering box, so I spent a good 20 minutes slowly enlarging the holes and test fitting about 15 times until the holes were just large enough to allow the bolts to thread in straight and not cross threaded! Then the top mounting flange is not even close to sitting flush on the inner fender so when it bolts up there will always be at least a little stress on something! Disappointed when it cost 85 bucks!

"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

I finally got around to finishing installing the steering plates

Idler Side

"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

hey chris a while back i was holding your brace and was impressed with it. i installed one on my 4 door with no problems mounting it to the box. its not shiny and it looks like its made of some cheap aluminium. it polished up nice. i did not use the original fasteners. i used stainless button head's. i dont think the brace helps much. now the inner fender flexes.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

philcas1987 wrote:hey chris a while back i was holding your brace and was impressed with it. i installed one on my 4 door with no problems mounting it to the box. its not shiny and it looks like its made of some cheap aluminium. it polished up nice. i did not use the original fasteners. i used stainless button head's. i dont think the brace helps much. now the inner fender flexes.
I have talked to Kieth about this on a couple of occasions. If you look at his pictures it has a brace like ours and a larger doubler plat in the fender well and a bar from the fender well to the drivers left foot area of the fender well. He says he has little to no flex at all. Just have to do all the steps...getting there...

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Well, inspired by my desire to try out my Spintech muffler, and my lack of desire to drop my cross member again (thanks for the idea Rich), I decided to cut out my spare tire well, which hasn't been used in 3.5 years. Went to Dallas, OR and had Luke weld in a piece of 18 guage sheetmetal. Made a template out of card board and it worked pretty well. I was wondering whether that flat piece of metal would make noise so I talked Luke into welding a piece of flat bar across it. Now I just need to paint it and then put on the sound deadener after my fuel odor is dealt with.

-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You know - it\s funny. The Bronze came without a spare tire well - PO modification. I always worry about a flat on our 400+ mile "jaunts", and I always would like to have a spare tire in the car...
I even went to the effort of replacing the spare tire well in my last rally car - but I suppose that was also a functional mod.
And here you are removing your spare tire well :shock:

I guess the only real issue I have with my well being gone if I was ever to be rear ended - a spare tire in that area may help with the folding. For this reason I stepped up from a 24 gauge aluminum sheet with a few rivets (the PO mod) to an 18 gauge stainless panel (with no ribs) and used structural glue for a ¾” contact all the way around. It’s definitely stronger than what was there.

But I, like you, have taken advantage of the space, and used a 9X18"3 inch muffler, nicely tucked up out of the way and totally out of sight, and there's not way that thing would have fit in with the spare tire well in place.

Photos from underneath??

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Hey Byron,

Hah! spare tire...don't need one! 8) I haven't had one in it for 3 years... I actually am going to drill a hole in the flat bar and weld a nut on. Then I can get a stud and wingnut and throw a spare in for long drives out of the city. I hate to say it but if the 510 is lowered your probably done no matter what. About a month ago, a 510 just got rear ended by an suv and it didn't even hit the bumper. Just sheared everything off above it!

I'll get some pics of the underside in a day or two....

Later,
Chris

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Sorry about the crappy cell phone picture :(

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Went down to Dallas, OR tpday tp dp some work with Luke again. Spent a few ours grinding and test fitting the manifold. It was tedious, but I am pretty pleased with where it sits now. Way better than the angle it sat at before in the previous pictures!!! Well, that's all for now.

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Chris,

On the third picture down, right opposite the turbine housing, is the shuttle valve for your brakes. I made a nice little aluminium heat shield the just bolts on using the bolt that is there. I will e-mail you a picture of mine later today, if you can send me your regular e-mail address. That whole area is going to get very hot from radiant heat. A small heat shield just plain helps with the whole braking thing!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

hay chris now you can be in turbo club !
The first rule of turbo club is to tease phill about not being in turbo club .lol :D
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Now that the site is fixed, I will throw these on Chris's thread. Anybody should do this if the header/turbo, whaever heat source is close to the shuttle valve. The heat shield does just that, keeps that area cooler from the radiant heat.
Attachments
aluminum heat shield
aluminum heat shield
heat shield for shuttle valve and lines
heat shield for shuttle valve and lines
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Welp, I asked questions in another thread, but i figured I'd put it in my project thread. This is the HID kit I received in the mail. Hopefully it will be installed n a couple weeks during winter break. I will put up more pics or the install and results when done.

Box and optional harness. At 15 bucks, the harness is WAY worth it. I'm not sure how they are making money on this stuff. This is straight up sweatshop labor products.

Little Ballast

Igniter

Bulbs

Less than highly polished reflector :(

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Well winter break from school was busier than I had planned (of course, right?) I did get them installed. I need to make some brackets and put them in there permanent locations. Here's a teaser pic. I'm pretty pleased so far. There is a pretty good cutoff but not perfect.

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Oh man, how school makes me neglect my car and this thread. I need to do some updating on here. But for now, all I have to say is I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Tial 38mm MV-S!!! :shock:

I hate dropping cash like that but with the abuse this will see I want to only buy it once!!

-defdes