Ecotec 510

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
ecotec510

Ecotec 510

Post by ecotec510 »

Here's some pictures of my project Gm Ecotec swapped 510. I'm reworking the front suspension/crossmember currently so I took some pics of it going back together today. A chunk of concrete at 70mph took version1 crossmember and rack out . The improvements in the new setup got a little out of hand, went to control arms and ripped those ugly tc rods/mounts off.
Here's a rundown of the major changes done to the car.
Complete 2.4l LE5 Pontiac Solstice Powertrain w/throttle by wire, w/ GM electronics no standalone.
Custom made struts w/Sentra SE-R Brembos, 350Z rotors, 350Z hubs, bilstein VW Rabbit inserts
Custom Front Lower A-arms, Nascar screw-in Ball joints, all heims, aluminum shortened steering arms, adjustable bumpsteer, Fiat rack pinion with adjustable mounting, steering shaft goes thru toeboard into a shorty column,1-1/4 tubular swaybar.
Tilton pedal box, with balance bar.
R180 rear from STI w/clutch type lsd, also using STI CV's and knuckles, brembos, hubs, etc.
Custom rear A-arms to hold the STI knuckles, adjustable in toe and camber, coilovers using bilstein shocks.
Attachments
Picture 013 (Medium).jpg
Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
Picture 026 (Medium).jpg
Last edited by ecotec510 on 19 Dec 2009 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
www.machinedspeed.com
ecotec510

Re: Ecotec 510

Post by ecotec510 »

New crossmember/suspension
Attachments
suspview (Medium).jpg
frontview (Medium).jpg
xmember (Medium).jpg
www.machinedspeed.com
ecotec510

Post by ecotec510 »

More suspension pics
Attachments
Picture 039 (Medium).jpg
gotbrakes (Medium).jpg
suspview2 (Medium).jpg
www.machinedspeed.com
ecotec510

Post by ecotec510 »

Attachments
rear1 (Medium).jpg
Picture 006 (Medium).jpg
Picture 014 (Medium).jpg
www.machinedspeed.com
ecotec510

Post by ecotec510 »

Attachments
rear3 (Medium).jpg
rear2 (Medium).jpg
www.machinedspeed.com
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

ummmm.... :shock: :shock: wow! :shock:
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Nice fab skills!

You've only got 8 posts on this site? Share some knowledge with us. What made you choose this swap option? What brought about the complete redesign of the front end? Got some pics of the whole car? Share. Share. Share.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

I am disgusted with myself after seeing that :oops:

Awesome work, truly.
I'm your huckleberry.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Impressive, to say the least. The complete GM set up should make it a real nice runner/driver, with minimal tuning issues. The only thing that comes to mind is a speedo and cruise control- But who needs those in a 510? As the others have requested- More PICS!
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Awwwww, where to begin? Great project! I love a the clean-slate approach. Very nice looking! I can't wait to compare notes at the Atlanta meet.
More details, tell us the whole story. These teaser pics are driving us crazy.
ecotec510

Post by ecotec510 »

thisismatt wrote:I am disgusted with myself after seeing that :oops:

Awesome work, truly.
If it helps any, I taught myself how to tig, never had a welding or fab class in my life. Lots and lots of practice to get my fabrications to this level.
jeffball610 wrote:Nice fab skills!

You've only got 8 posts on this site? Share some knowledge with us. What made you choose this swap option? What brought about the complete redesign of the front end? Got some pics of the whole car? Share. Share. Share.
I'm a gm guy, and after finding a new solstice powertrain for cheap it was a no brainer to try to wedge into into a 510. The popular swap with the solstice guys is to transplant an LS2 corvette setup in place of this 4 cyl. A 500 mile motor/trans for roughly 2k is hard to beat. Plus its a very hi-tech setup, very reliable, gets 30+mpg, and had plenty of power to push this little ride around.

The suspension is just a crazy idea I had. It's my attempt to maximize the factory strut setup without radically changing the suspension. I've added antidive, pushed the balljoints out to improve scrub radius, and totally cured all my bumpsteer problems. This setup bumps within 1 min of a degree in 3"in of suspension travel. Not that anything has to be that close, but it is nice when things work out that way. Also, it was nearly impossible to get a decent swaybar setup on the car with that front sump pan in there. With the front tc mount out of there, there's plenty of room to mount a beefy bar. I haven't driven on the new suspension yet, it's nearly there, so we'll see if it was worth the trouble.
Camano510 wrote:Impressive, to say the least. The complete GM set up should make it a real nice runner/driver, with minimal tuning issues. The only thing that comes to mind is a speedo and cruise control- But who needs those in a 510? As the others have requested- More PICS!
Speedo is one wire hookup out of the ecm, tacho is the same, cruise is a few wires and switches too. The solstice tune is junk, it took a while to get the tune in order, the long tube headers and no cats made the base tune a bit off.

Here's some early build pics, and the only recent exterior shot I've got. This is from the roadside last time I drove it.
Attachments
01-11-09_2100 (Medium).jpg
01-11-09_2058 (Medium).jpg
datsun.jpg
www.machinedspeed.com
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

thisismatt wrote:I am disgusted with myself after seeing that :oops:

Awesome work, truly.
Me to Matt. Very cool work, I love the thinking outside the box approach that you are going with. Can't wait to see more pictures.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

I knew someone would beat me to it.. Have you had it on the dyno with the new tune? Figures? Big fan of ecotec motor's after reading so much on the drag cobalt.

Oh yea.. MORE PICS!
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Holy Diver! That's gotta be the best suspension setup I've ever seen on a Dime! Good job man!
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

So are you using the Solstice gauge cluster and switches in place of the originals? How close is the ration in the STI rear end to the stock Solstices? Is that something you can modify with tuning? This is a direction we haven't seen yet, and your work is very nice. Looks like you started with a really clean car as well. Watching with excitement. I did a EFI 5.0/AOD into my wifes 66 Mustang convert, and it really is nice to drive. Runs like the 91 GT the stuff came out of.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project