New swap-4G63T

View and post your 510 project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

Re: New swap-4G63T

Post by goichi1 »

I have mine out of the car right now, I can give you measurements if you want them....and a few pics, just let me know, I think mine is a TSR....I bought it from a friend....yea, it was about 200.00......I still actually need a thrust plate from mine......
Last edited by goichi1 on 24 Dec 2009 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

deleted
Last edited by datsun510 on 24 Dec 2009 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

WOW, I didn't know Ray's Engineering made CV joints!! :roll:

Come on now, really, is that necessary. It's right there with the HKS sticker I saw on the Honda Hatchback hatch struts, or the ARC sticker I saw on a chrome fire extinguisher.

Sorry, shouldn't be negative. Very nice looking and clean set-up,especially the diff. cover.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

S15DET wrote:WOW, I didn't know Ray's Engineering made CV joints!! :roll:

Come on now, really, is that necessary. It's right there with the HKS sticker I saw on the Honda Hatchback hatch struts, or the ARC sticker I saw on a chrome fire extinguisher.

Sorry, shouldn't be negative. Very nice looking and clean set-up,especially the diff. cover.
Ray's Engineering sticker = stage 3 racing upgrade, +5HP, +5MPH
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Finally I can update something!

I've been on a buying binge for parts. Most of the small stuff has come in like longer wheel studs and some lug nuts. I've been gathering all of my parts that I've acquired over the years and this week I'll be dropping it off at a friends shop to get some help putting things together. The job list isn't exciting, but in theory, we should have enough to make it run, but not drive.

I'll take some pics of all the new parts I've got on the car like rotors and such. I'll also try to snap some pics at the shop and show everyone what's going into this car. It's getting so close to being a "real" car after sitting for so long. It's been over 4 years since I purchased the car, and I've never driven it. It will still be some time before I can drive it, but it would be nice to show some progress and maybe hear it fire up. We'll see.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Progress is good.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

One step backward, two steps forward. I think that's how it goes.

Well, the S12 front brakes that I have won't work with the Z31 SS brake lines that I ordered. I could modify them to work, but that would just be putting off the inevitable. So I went out in search of some Z31 Turbo front calipers. Of course, there are none to be found. However, the front brakes on the Q45 and J30 (I think) seem to be close enough.

So I picked up a set from a 91 Q45. These are 2 piston units, and according to 240SX guys, they offer 25% more braking force and 40% more pad area. I don't really care, as the single piston units would likely stop a 510 without issue. There was a non turbo Z31 in the yard that I used for mock up. They seemed to fit well enough to spend the cash on this "upgrade". I have already purchased pads and a new seal kit and I will be sand blasting them tomorrow along with adding a high temp paint just for good measure. I'll take some pics when I mount them tomorrow night.

I still need to modify the Z31 brake lines to fit these as well, but it's a minor issue and they should fit just fine. I'll also have to post a "For Sale" thread on these S12 units. They're fully rebuilt and mount the same as 280ZX stuff with a slightly different brake line setup. At least I'm moving forward.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, Garrett GT2971R, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Here's the result of the Q45 setup. I rebuilt and painted them with high temp paint. Unfortunately they are silver (aluminum). It was the only high temp paint I had left. Thought I had some iron color left. Oh well. I rebuilt them with new seals and such. They fit well under the 15" wheels I have, but there is no way a standard 14" wheel could fit these. Now I just need those Z31 Turbo rear brakes to finish this part of the build.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... CT0442.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... CT0444.jpg

More here:
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... 20Rebuild/
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I have a temporary solution for the rear brakes. I put my 10mm wheel spacer behind the brake rotor and it brought it out almost to the proper distance from the caliper. I figure 8-9mm would be perfect and no need to get new brakes.

I also picked up some new supplies:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200127024

Picked this up so I can start doing some more of my own work. I've been without welding help since I moved to Vegas. Now I have my own welder and I can actually learn to make my own stuff.

These should be here in the next two weeks:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... %2FMinivan

I picked these up off of eBay for $200. 16x7 in dark grey. I've wanted these rims for my Datsun since before I had the car. TSW discontinued these about 2 years ago and I've been searching for these ever since. Now I just need some cash for tires. Not that it will be on the road anytime soon.

Next up will be to get my flywheel machined, mounted and my clutch installed. I've got some maintenance parts for the motor I can install and I'm digging through the wiring right now. I picked up a 92 Accord fuse panel that I think I might try to use. We'll see. I'll post some picks when I actually get some work done.
1972 Datsun 510
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jeffball610 wrote:Picked this up so I can start doing some more of my own work. I've been without welding help since I moved to Vegas. Now I have my own welder and I can actually learn to make my own stuff.
I'd suggest getting the MIG conversion kit for that. Flux core will stick stuff together, and Hobart isn't a bad welder, but the addition of the MIG process produces much nicer welds and you can do much thinner work (bodywork, for instance) with a MIG that you really can't do with a flux-core setup (too much heat).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Yes, I plan to run a MIG setup eventually. I made sure to get a welder that I could upgrade at some point. For now, I can learn to weld and get some small projects completed. One of the first projects is likely a welding cart.

I'll also take pics of this wiring harness when I'm done. I've taken so much wiring out of both the chassis and engine, that most won't even recognize either one. I still haven't decided whether to use the Accord fuse box, but it seems like a good option. Anyone got any good pics of their fuse panels and wiring they want to share? I found a couple pics of someone's underdash panel mounted beneath the radio area that looks clean. We'll see what I come up with.
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I GOT MY WHEELS!!!

Finally the day has come! I've been searching for these wheels since before I bought my car. TSW discontinued these about two years ago and they don't seem to come up for sale in a 16" size. I got them. I love them. Now I just need to get some tires and get these mounted up for real.

Larger image here:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/ ... CT0471.jpg
1972 Datsun 510
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

I've got the intercooler and radiator 90% mounted. I just need to drill some holes in the upper core support to attach the upper brackets to hold the radiator in. I'll take pics tomorrow.

Now that I have that done, I can route my headlight wires under the intercooler and mock up the intercooler pipes and coolant hoses. Can I mount the relays for the "upgraded" headlight wiring in the fuse panel? I have two spaces I can mount relays in my fuse panel and I know I want to add relays as suggested by DQ. Is mounting the relays that far from the headlights counterproductive?
1972 Datsun 510
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

As long as you're running heavy enough gauge wire to and from the relay you'll be fine (trigger wire can be very light, as it only carries a couple hundred milliamps). I'd probably run 12ga, but even 16ga may be fine, depending on your bulb wattage.
I'm your huckleberry.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

These are the pics I promised from my radiator and intercooler mount. As you can see, all I did is weld 2 nuts to the lower core support and mount the brackets to that. Trimming of the front of the car is limited to the area behind the grill. I may need to do some minor trimming to the backside of the lower valance, but it is so minor that even a trained eye probably won't notice. I have since painted the intercooler black. I'm not into showing off my intercooler for all to see, but left it this way for the pics so you could see it better.

1972 Datsun 510