LZ 23 .... nope KAZ23S

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Sealik

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Post by Sealik »

I managed to crawl in the truck without pulling it out of the 'shop'.
Anywho...here are the numbers on the green sticker....not good.
A11-630 579
1414 Z20

Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Well....there is always Plan B.
Ohhh.....wait....I don't have one :lol: :lol:
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Here's a comment from Patrick.....a resident EFI guru fom another site.
Talking about the 'differences' between the Z20E and Z22E ECU.

Reply by Patrick Smith on January 22, 2009 at 3:14am

ECUs are virtually the same. It looks like all you canadians got Z2XE engines with NO FEEDBACK. So if you have canadian wiring, no o2 needed. Also, tuning is as simple as pulling the cover off the mass air flow meter and re setting the clock spring. I guess I'll have to post pictures and show you guys how it is done.

Now I'm not alone anymore in the world with fuel injection.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

A11 630 579 is... not found, but I do have an A11 609 571 which is an '80 Z20E automatic. The ECU numbers tend to rise from lower year to higher years. A11 600 000 is the 280z first year EFI ECU.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Well...pretty much limited with options.
So.....I think with 'new' injectors and the airbox and timing 'dialed' in....hopefully, good to go.
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Actually... there is another option which I am 'researching'
My Z24E build needs the 240sx wiring harness and ECU, MAF and Z24i dizzy.
I located the custom (720) harness and ECU.....now just the MAF and dizzy remains on the list.
Should be a noticable increase in performance.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I think you'll need an O2 sensor for KA ECU too, Doug. If you locate a D-21 with the CAS dizzy grab the exhaust manifold too. It has the O2 already in place. I have one on my Z24. The stock one stripped a down pipe bolt and this was easier. Plus it's there if/when I finish what you plan.

I removed the air injection pipe and the EGR behind it and sealed them off.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

You are correct again Mike ....as usual :D :D :D
Ya...I figured the 02 EM was a given.....But.....since Pat's gonna fab the harness...one could possibly work with the non excistent ECU feed back? :idea:
I doubt it.....good to ponder. :D
Point is..... I have no excess to Z24i or 240sx parts. Other than Ebay, this forum and such
Soooooooo.....For now.....Most likey will run lean with the stock EM?
If it runs. :) :) :)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

It will likely go to 'limp home' mode and run rich just like the Z241 TBI does if the O2 fails (or the wire breaks)

The 4X4 exhaust manifold has TWO air injection tubes. Pull one of the two air injection tubes off and mount an O2 sensor in that hole. Make a plug and tap it for the sensor. Smart feller such as yourself should be able to do this before breakfast.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

thers a d21 at rivershore in kamloops... i was there today.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Doug, don't forget to get the drive spindle! They are splined and fit into the dizzy like this:

Sealik

Post by Sealik »

datzenmike wrote:It will likely go to 'limp home' mode and run rich just like the Z241 TBI does if the O2 fails (or the wire breaks)

The 4X4 exhaust manifold has TWO air injection tubes. Pull one of the two air injection tubes off and mount an O2 sensor in that hole. Make a plug and tap it for the sensor. Smart feller such as yourself should be able to do this before breakfast.
What was I thinking...?,,,.always assumed I would need the actual EM....for some strange reason :?
Both of my pipes are removed and plugged....good
Most likely grab the oil pump also.
Kamloops is a little far for my truck right now... :cry: ..I seemed to have picked up a slight vibration pulling large quantities of fir logs out of the bush. :D
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Wow been a while since an update and things have changed around and back. My truck, although it starts and runs has been sitting for several years. I am burned out on it and a friend may take it over. How was I to know that I would end up the owner of a 24K (miles) '74 710??? and then another, a 45K (miles) '76 710 goon from Nevada??? Needless to say my focus is now on cars and how much fun they are to drive. I mean drive them and all that entails instead of being carried around in an off road purpose built 3,600 pound 620. I haven't owned a Datsun car since my new '76 B-210 which I had for about 5 years.

My wife drives the '74 in the summer and the little L18 fires at the touch of the key, like it's waiting and watching. I bet if I climbed in and pretended to turn the key it would start. :lol: I just got back from an extended 1,360 mile (yeah miles. The '74 is pre KPH and the '76 is a US car) extended trip to Canby. It was exactly 1/2 liter above the add mark and is now just on the add mark. I'd call that a good motor.

In my ravels I visited Sealick up in Clearwater and met a very likable Merlin while there. I got a ride in a white 510 that had been L28 powered but now has a Z23/SU motor in it. (saw your old goon Byron) On inspection the diff is almost for sure an R-180 and judging from the incredible torque and the fast revs has to be a 4.375 from a 720. Forth gear roll on at highway speeds is impressive to say the least. This is a Z22 block Z24 piston and open L head with SUs. This combo gives a very easy 8.4 compression so it will run on camp fuel. :lol:

All this is leading up to completing my long ago started LZ23 project. Doug gave me a Z22 block that he and Merlin removed just days before I got up there after Canby. Popped the crank out and had to use a maul to pound the pistons out of the block. It was messed up from sitting

This gives me a Z22 block. I have to check, but I believe I have a Z22 crank in storage. I have any amount of L20B timing covers and at least one set of L20B/Z22 rods. I have the choice of Z24 or KA24 pistons depending on the compression or the head I finally decide on. Power washed the block and oiled it for storage.

KA24E pistons and fully floating rods.

Induction? Well I don't want what everyone else has but if I don't hurry up I will. Seems like everyone is doing this. Got a set of R1s from Zuum510, thanks Dave for the delivery to Canby.

Have to make a manifold for this. Have a spare U67 and a later W58 intake and L16 exhaust for measurements and clearance. Steel or Al??? For Al, I would have to get a bottle for my TIG and learn a new skill.

Three years in a row now I have home back from Canby with a passenger in my car. I'm fascinated by Asian trannys. Anyone care to guess where she's from. (hint: 6 speed)

jason
Supporter

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E) nope LZ23

Post by jason »

Ummm.... Asian Tranny's Mike :shock: :lol: ?
Jason
HudsonMC

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E) nope LZ23

Post by HudsonMC »

That's a 350z/G35 transmission, isn't it?