Bad Granny's 510

View and post your 510 project(s)
butters68
Supporter

Re: Bad Granny's 510

Post by butters68 »

RAAAAAMOOOOOOOONNNNNAAAAAA! :P
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

the car is painted. totally. i will start polishing on wednesday. the car should be ready for pick up next tuesday.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
muck
Supporter

Post by muck »

Did I miss the paint pics? :|
'67 1600 Roadster
'68 4-door 510
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

tycot1 wrote:the car is painted. totally. i will start polishing on wednesday. the car should be ready for pick up next tuesday.
thanks! can't wait tio see the beast...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

muck wrote:Did I miss the paint pics? :|
Tysons painting it with a brush, he'll post pics once he pulls all the stray bristles out of the final coat :shock: :lol: :shock: .

fwiw.. Tyson got this car in as oil based paint... oil based auto finishes are toast very soon. Even the 100's of galons of oil stain i use in parks is gone as of sept. :roll:

tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

they are getting you too with the water base. for some reason my camera wont let me load any pictures. i will post them as soon as the problem is figured out. yes, horse hair paint brush application in most areas and roller in all the others. but seriously folks, this car looks really good. it now is as rust free as anyone could ever hope for. it also turned out quite straight with nice gaps and lines. at first the colour was lacking something , it was hard to deal with. we decided to totally redo the inside of the trunk comp and engine bay. this time we did two coats of solid colour then two coats of 50/50 colour mixed with clear. the luster was there this time. lots more protection for years to come. merlin is going to be a VERY happy boy. you will need to work the extra careful hands during assembly. i will try pics again tomorrow night. tyson.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

tycot1 wrote:they are getting you too with the water base. for some reason my camera wont let me load any pictures. i will post them as soon as the problem is figured out. yes, horse hair paint brush application in most areas and roller in all the others. but seriously folks, this car looks really good. it now is as rust free as anyone could ever hope for. it also turned out quite straight with nice gaps and lines. at first the colour was lacking something , it was hard to deal with. we decided to totally redo the inside of the trunk comp and engine bay. this time we did two coats of solid colour then two coats of 50/50 colour mixed with clear. the luster was there this time. lots more protection for years to come. merlin is going to be a VERY happy boy. you will need to work the extra careful hands during assembly. i will try pics again tomorrow night. tyson.

thank god! i thought you were using cheap polyester brushes... they leave such coarse lines compared to the horsehair.

me? with the new waterbased stains... i'm hoping to train baboons to drink gallons of stain, then projectile vomit it on my buildings and decks.. think organic sprayer system. If no baboons are available, i'll get teenagers and mix the stain 5 parts to one with creme de mint and lemon gin... should work the same.

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

merlin wrote: i'm hoping to train baboons to drink gallons of stain, then projectile vomit it on my buildings and decks.. think organic sprayer system. If no baboons are available, i'll get teenagers and mix the stain 5 parts to one with creme de mint and lemon gin... should work the same.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

wouldnt they just enjoy it and then throw it the next day??? it would end up looking like Jackson Pollack had at it...
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Head over to the bars surrounding Chico State. If so inclined, they're masters at making you see your drink again.

Any further thoughts on a powerplant, merlin?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

okayfine wrote:Head over to the bars surrounding Chico State. If so inclined, they're masters at making you see your drink again.
As a Chico State student, I endorse this statement!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Good to know things haven't changed :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hey Merlin, a fella over on the BB list posted this:

"While it may not be directly related to this thread, John Caldwell is still
building engines. Just for grins, I asked how much to build a solid L-4 or
L-6. He said probably 40 hours @ $60/hour, plus parts, usually supplied by
the buildee.

In my book that's a pretty good deal. It might not have the peak HP
generated/claimed by other folks, but I'll bet it would last. Remember that
John not only built engines for BRE, but for the GTP car, too.

Of course having John do an engine would involve getting it to Durango, CO,
and back. Then again a couple of trips to Durango aren't necessarily a bad
thing, either!"

Perhaps an option for Bad Granny?
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

okayfine wrote:Hey Merlin, a fella over on the BB list posted this:

"While it may not be directly related to this thread, John Caldwell is still
building engines. Just for grins, I asked how much to build a solid L-4 or
L-6. He said probably 40 hours @ $60/hour, plus parts, usually supplied by
the buildee.

In my book that's a pretty good deal. It might not have the peak HP
generated/claimed by other folks, but I'll bet it would last. Remember that
John not only built engines for BRE, but for the GTP car, too.

Of course having John do an engine would involve getting it to Durango, CO,
and back. Then again a couple of trips to Durango aren't necessarily a bad
thing, either!"

Perhaps an option for Bad Granny?
A John Caldwell engine would rock! been to durango several times to drop off wildcats ... love that corner of th earth. Broke until fall unfortunately.

tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

http://s1017.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... %20colour/ here is the colour boys. it turned out great. i have decided to give the entire car a wet sand and polish. i can already see my reflection crystal clear in the paint, nice job layin it down josh. merlin has committed to a large project so i am throwing him a little gift with the polish. a wet sand and polish is normally a 20 hour job. enjoy the pics. tyson
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

damn .... :shock: :shock: I just blew my load...
IMG_7058.jpg
IMG_6369.jpg