Chris' 72 Project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: Chris' 72 Project

Post by thisismatt »

Yeah, that's a common complaint with incandescent replacement LEDs. They really need to be aligned in the correct orientation to be as effective.
I'm your huckleberry.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Ok, so sidestep again. I am getting the -10 drain tube bung welded onto my spare oil pan on Sunday. I was thinking about adding an oil temp gauge to assist in monitoring the engine. Should I have another bung welded in the pan for that? Or is that better to have in the remote oil filter/ cooler setup?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The oil pan point will measure the temp as the oil exits the engine components, measuring at the remote filter like many do (including myself) measures the temp of the oil going into the motor... both are important in their own right, however I like to measure the oil on it's way in.
Pan => pump => cooler =>filter block (with temp gauge) => into engine for distribution.
I think I like to know what temp the oil is before it gets tortured through the motor. Although knowing what it is after it's run the gauntlet would be interesting as well, but I personally want to know it’s temp (and condition) before entering the engine.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

heirfaus wrote:Ok, so sidestep again. I am getting the -10 drain tube bung welded onto my spare oil pan on Sunday. I was thinking about adding an oil temp gauge to assist in monitoring the engine. Should I have another bung welded in the pan for that? Or is that better to have in the remote oil filter/ cooler setup?
If you don't want to have another fitting welded in, but you do want to have a temp gauge, I know I have seen some oil temp senders that fit into the drain plug hole and double as a temp sender/drain plug. Just throwing that option out there.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

or you can run a distribution block like steve had in his blue car
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Byron510 wrote:The oil pan point will measure the temp as the oil exits the engine components, measuring at the remote filter like many do (including myself) measures the temp of the oil going into the motor... both are important in their own right, however I like to measure the oil on it's way in.
Pan => pump => cooler =>filter block (with temp gauge) => into engine for distribution.
I think I like to know what temp the oil is before it gets tortured through the motor. Although knowing what it is after it's run the gauntlet would be interesting as well, but I personally want to know it’s temp (and condition) before entering the engine.

Byron
Thanks for that. I hadn't really thought about what would be measured at the two different points. I am putting in an oil cooler but I'm more interested in the temp of the oil coming out of the motor.
duke wrote:If you don't want to have another fitting welded in, but you do want to have a temp gauge, I know I have seen some oil temp senders that fit into the drain plug hole and double as a temp sender/drain plug. Just throwing that option out there.
Good idea. I'll check this out.
dislexicdime wrote:or you can run a distribution block like steve had in his blue car
Well, I'm hoping to get the true temp in the oil pan. BUT I do need one of those distribution blocks. who sells them? I can't seem to find any, or maybe I was just looking in the wrong areas :?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

duke wrote:If you don't want to have another fitting welded in, but you do want to have a temp gauge, I know I have seen some oil temp senders that fit into the drain plug hole and double as a temp sender/drain plug. Just throwing that option out there.
I was really excited about this option until I found that the drain plug is a 16.4mm?!?!? Seriously Nissan? What were you thinking? 16.4?!!!!

-defdes
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

you will have to ask steve where he got i cant remember . :?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Is there anyone here who knows the complexity of why LED's won't function in the 510 turn signal? The turn signal doesn't light up and the dash indicator just lights dimly and doesn't flash. Do I need a resistor? Or a special flasher?

These should all be here this week! :D

Hopefully I can have a buddy do some wastegate mounting and down pipe making this weekend. Running out of things to buy/make for the swap!!!!!

3 inches of goodness 8)

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You only THINK you have run out of things to buy......

I am selling one of my exhaust temp gauges, and my narrow band O2 meter.....you SHOULD have these things, specially the exhaust temp
Attachments
exhaust temp in the vent hole, narrow band on steering coluom
exhaust temp in the vent hole, narrow band on steering coluom
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote:specially the exhaust temp
even with a wideband that's already installed?

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I dunno...let me know after you have been wide open throttle...uphill...for a few miles....on pump gas...... :wink:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

heirfaus wrote:Is there anyone here who knows the complexity of why LED's won't function in the 510 turn signal? The turn signal doesn't light up and the dash indicator just lights dimly and doesn't flash. Do I need a resistor? Or a special flasher?
quick answer = LED bulbs don't pull enough current to kick the flasher's bimetallic strip open...

You need an LED-specific flasher, which usually also has a knob on the top that allows you to manually set the blink rate.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

510rob wrote:You need an LED-specific flasher, which usually also has a knob on the top that allows you to manually set the blink rate.
Do I actually need an LED specific, or just an electronic? The parts store sells the electronic kind. Seems like it would do the trick with no bi-metal/heat requirements....

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

I'm currently trying to figure out how to embed from Google Picasa so be patient :)

I recorded this little clip last night to compare some LEDs. The turns signal/hazards are excellent. These have the 2 smd led's on then. Super small and about 2-3 times as bright as the 12 standard LED bulb's I tried. I may take a video comparing them tonight. But for the turn signals I recommend these at about 2 bucks each from Hong Kong!

As can be seen (when I get the video working) is that the right brake like is still the incandescent bulb and the left is the LED. The brake light is not near the same level of brightness. After comparing the 2 SMD LED and the 12 LED turn signal bulbs, I'm going to seek out a SMD brake lamp bulb.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Lu ... directlink

Well I can't seem to embed it, so you guys will have to live with a link :(

-defdes