Chris' 72 Project

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
heirfaus

Re: Chris' 72 Project

Post by heirfaus »

Well, popped the hood today to take the Dotty off the road for a week or two.

Out with the old

In with the new. Still not terribly happy with the way the manifold turned out. Turbo still sticks out farther than I'd like, but it'll do. It will also allow me to tuck the wastgate under the manifold. Probably going to brace the rubo between the bearing housing and the AC compressor bolt holes in the block.

Did some cutting on the 3" SS 304 piping today. I'm gonna have a buddy weld it up on Sunday and to save time I was trying, for the first time ever, to make the appropriate cuts to create downpipe. I think it turned out pretty good for never having done that before :D

So hopefully when I take it over to Mike's on Sunday it will come out as planned. I should get my SS O2 weld bung in the mail in a couple of days, just in time to add that in. We'll see if I can get the wastgate mounted as well. More to come.... 8)
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

sweet now i can try to keep up with you ! :D
Last edited by dislexicdime on 28 May 2010 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Chris, don't forget to make that heat shield for the shuttle valve! it get REALLY hot there, with the turbine housing so close.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote:hey Chris, don't forget to make that heat shield for the shuttle valve! it get REALLY hot there, with the turbine housing so close.
Thanks for the reminder :D I actually have a kinda ghetto but effective one already made. Also the turbine housing is coated (not with the lame ceramic stuff) and I plan on running a blanket on the turbine as well. Should cover it :wink:
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Say, are you going to make Canby? Maybe we can talk strategies on Modern Warfare....Grenades, we hate grenades, right?!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote:Say, are you going to make Canby? Maybe we can talk strategies on Modern Warfare....Grenades, we hate grenades, right?!
Well, we'll see what happens. I'd love to have this thing running for Canby. It'll be a long shot but I might make it. I may go anyway even if it's not done. I really do hate driving other cars though. I'm borrowing my dad's truck and the roads just aren't the same :( And yes we hate 'nades, at least the incoming kind. I love the outgoing kind :D We NEED to get you up with the times, which would be MW2 where you only get one nade....period! much more sane! Although I still kinda miss that barrage of 10 nades incoming at the same time at the beginning of the map in MW1, armagedon by small explosives. :lol: Only about 6 months until the next one comes out!!

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Arg...I had to take a break from that game, I'm so competitive.....same with Matt. When some 10 year old kicks my ass....I'm coming back with guns loaded.... :evil: it's all about anticipation, which I'm kinda getting better at. As long as I don't get seeded in with a bunch of real top guns, I can hold my own now. Matt's been a good teacher....
" Dad...don't stand in the open!!" " Dad...don't stick your head out!" " Dad,...don't..........!"

Keith Law
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote:Arg...I had to take a break from that game, I'm so competitive.....same with Matt. When some 10 year old kicks my ass....I'm coming back with guns loaded.... :evil: it's all about anticipation, which I'm kinda getting better at. As long as I don't get seeded in with a bunch of real top guns, I can hold my own now. Matt's been a good teacher....
" Dad...don't stand in the open!!" " Dad...don't stick your head out!" " Dad,...don't..........!"
And the worst part about it is that the 10 year olds don't just kick your ass, but they talk some MEAN sh*t afterwards!! I've heard some of the dirtiest things I've ever heard from some random little kid on Modern Warfare!! :shock:

-defdes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Matt turns off the chatter...yah it ruins things the way some talk. I have had some funny experiences though, with some that THINK they are going to kick ass, then just get blown away. I find the English and Australians funny, as I love their accents, and some have funny sense's of humour, as the Team DeathMatch progresses. You don't see many girls/women playing, or at least that we know, but, a couple of times I have seen then kick some serious butt.

so...back to the car stuff....ghetto is ok, the heat SOAK can be huge down there, so it is good on what you are doing.

At least we could hijack YOUR thread, and no one was going to yell at us..... :lol:

Keith Law
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote: so...back to the car stuff....ghetto is ok, the heat SOAK can be huge down there, so it is good on what you are doing.

At least we could hijack YOUR thread, and no one was going to yell at us..... :lol:
:D

So I'm trying to make a list of all the required parts to see if I can realistically drive it to canby. Wondering if anyone can think of anything I miss. I figure I have to buy all of the last odds and ends to in the next day or two to make it work.

Here's what is in my head:
Got the manifold
Got the turbo
Downpipe is all welded up
Have the Gaskets for above items
Don't have time to do the 3" exhaust all the way back so I will b e using a reducer to connect to the 2 1/4 that's already on the car.
Need to buy the oil supply and drain hoses (can get them made same day at Oil Filter Service)
Water supply and drain is going to be a problem. If anyone has any ideas I'd LOVE to hear it.
I have a small intercooler that might find it's way on before hand (only starting at 4.9PSI)
Need to buy hoses and clamps for the wastegate and the bypass valve
I have a 1G DSM Bypass valve that needs to be mounted

I THINK that's it, right? At least that's it to get it running and reliable.....I think. Optimization can come later.

-defdes
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

You pulled the string and beat me to the punch - we've only both been talking about this for years!

I'll be at Canby in my still N/A car - I look forward to seeing your machine, Chris.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Byron510 wrote:You pulled the string and beat me to the punch - we've only both been talking about this for years!

I'll be at Canby in my still N/A car - I look forward to seeing your machine, Chris.

Byron
Well I haven't beat you to the punch yet :wink: I have ALOT to do in the next week and a half, so you might see my machine there :?

-defdes
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

Byron510 wrote:You pulled the string...
My string just got cut today :( I had a tall list of things and thought it was going to work out, but today at Mike Klotz's house I ran into a big bump in the road and now I just can't swing it with finals next week :(

-defdes
philcas1987

Post by philcas1987 »

Any updates chris? Been waiting for a test drive