any one know how much longer a zx trailing arm is then a 510

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
dislexicdime

any one know how much longer a zx trailing arm is then a 510

Post by dislexicdime »

Any. One know how much longer a zx rear trailing arm is then a 510 rear trailing arm?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
yellowdatsun

Re: any one know how much longer a zx trailing arm is then a 510

Post by yellowdatsun »

Don't take my word as fact, but here's what I believe:

The 280ZX AND M30 trailing arms will bolt up to a 510 crossmember. Actually, the spacing on the M30 crossmember will bolt onto the 510 chassis, but the diff sits above the crossmember, not inside. I believe the length front to back on both the 280ZX and M30 is the same as the 510, meaning it puts the wheel centered in the wheelwell. I just don't know what the track width change would be. I have an M30 rear end here at the house, and used to have 280ZX trailing arms here too.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Interesting about the diff sitting above the crossmember. That would really help correct the high axle angles on a really low 510 I would think. This would require some real sheet metal surgury in the trunk, but hmmmm?
yellowdatsun

Post by yellowdatsun »

Yep, you could modify the floor, or the crossmember. But the gas tank sits directly above the floor in that area. Then the entire assembly would bolt in. *BUT* the whole track of the entire rear section is a good deal wider than the 510, by at least 3 inches. I believe the width comes in from the arms being spaced farther apart on the crossmember.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

hhmmm sounds promising since the e30 front suspension under my car is almost 3 inch's wider then the stock rear suspension.

thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

If you raised the diff you would also have to make tunnels for the axle shafts to make it worth while...
I'm your huckleberry.
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

280zx rear arms bolt right up, but no spring cups, and they push the wheels out an 1" or 2. I have 280x arms on my dime right now. You can kind of tell in these pictures. Wheels are a 15x7 0 offset.

Stock arms

280 arms
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

how did you correct the toe ?

freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

I did the Penultimate modification a while back.
yellowdatsun

Post by yellowdatsun »

Yeh, forgot to mention the lack of a spring cup. But if you have coilovers, or plan to go that route, it doesn't matter anyways. It's an easy way to get disc brakes on the back. Bubble flares would solve the width issue easily, but it seems a lot of guys are tending towards the stock fender look these days. Or ZG type flares, cooler than bubbles.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I wouldn't go with the ZX arms. I don't see the benefit. Just run wider rims if you want them farther outboard. The ZX has the same wheel bearings so your not even getting anything better in that respect.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
heirfaus

Post by heirfaus »

I thought someone weighed the ZX arms and they were lighter...is that wrong?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

heirfaus wrote:I thought someone weighed the ZX arms and they were lighter...is that wrong?
There's lighter, then there's usefully lighter, especially with the resulting issues you're still left with. You could lighten a 510 trailing arm if you went to coilover and cut out the spring cup reinforcement...or reengineered it altogether like a couple here have.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

icehouse wrote:I wouldn't go with the ZX arms. I don't see the benefit. Just run wider rims if you want them farther outboard. The ZX has the same wheel bearings so your not even getting anything better in that respect.
Wuuuut? ZX has larger outer bearings. Plus, they have disc brakes already installed. I doubt they're lighter than the stock 510 arms, though, although this might just be the difference of the caliper bracket.
I'm your huckleberry.
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

I mainly went with ZX arms because my stock arms were dead and I was having a hell of a time to find some replacements. One day a craigslist add popped up with a complete '80 zx rear end. So I snatched it.