Tim's 69

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
flatcat19

Re: Tim's 69

Post by flatcat19 »

I am beyond inspired!!! Absolutely stunning!
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Ok, I finally managed to spend some time on the car again.
I finished running the wires for the headlights and cooling fans, added a Deutsch Connector for the fans.
I also made a switch panel to replace the heater controls and wired up the switches for the headlights and heater fan also with a Deutsch Connector to make it easier to remove later.

I also ordered a Nissan Motorsports CNC ported head for the KA :D :D
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Proof Tim...we need pics. haha. You have spent alot time thinking about this build.

Curious, since your going to track the car, are you planning on running 13 inch wheels ? I know at least 14 inch rims would make for a much more friendly car to steer on the track. It made a huge difference on my car once I changed to 14's. Made me wish I had some 13's to run also.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Yea, trying to fit this project in along with house remodeling (wrapping up a "light" bathroom remodel right now then moving to another project) work, (which has been crazy) and raising a 4 year old (who now wants to go Kart racing which is great but more time) and oh, trying to have some sort of life :lol: is really slowing the pace.

So, at 3AM Friday I hit a sort of milestone, I powered up the wiring.
I was sort of dreading this because there are so many places for something to go wrong (especially since I redesigned and rewired everything) So I unplugged the ECU and pulled the main fuses then connected the positive cable and connected the ground through a test light. No light (good news). So I connected the ground with a wire and moved down to the main fuses and jumped them with a test light. I hit the first one and as soon as I jumped it I heard relays click and the light on the test light lit up. Crap.:?
I connected the test light really quickly again and determined that the dimmer relay and the low beam relay were powering up without the headlights being on but, other than that, there didn’t seem to be any problems or at least nothing smoking or anything. The headlight issue was fairly easy to figure out although I gotta say that the information that comes with the painless harness is pretty sparse (especially if you are working on an import) and since I am not wiring things up exactly the way they suggest it can be a challenge at times to figure out what their harness is doing “behind the scenes”.
Anyway, I fixed the headlights and now I have working headlights (high and low beam) turn signals, running lights, heater power, ignition and accessory power. Doesn’t seem like much now that I write it but the main thing is that the basics are working and the whole thing didn’t smoke when I powered it up.
I still need to figure out the wiper wiring, hook up the brake light switch, dome light switches, all the ECU sensors and the Racepack to ECU harness so still a lot of wiring to go.
BTW while working on the wiring I have tried out a lot of different types of connectors and there are a couple that seem to work pretty well. I tried several multipin connectors like molex MX150 etc. and the Deutsh connectors http://www.deutschconnector.com/product ... onnectors/ seem to be the best option. They assemble fairly easily and can be reused if you change something. For crimp connectors the ones with heat shrink and adhesive built in are great because they seal really well without needing to add a separate piece of heatshrink. http://order.waytekwire.com/products2/M ... Connectors

I'll post some more pics pretty soon.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Sorry, forgot to answer the wheel question. Right now I plan to run the 15" panasports that are on it now.
I finally got the CNC head from Nissan Motorsports. It is a brand new head that they CNC port for GT4 cars. It looks pretty nice but now I have one small problem, I discovered that the head is set up to use the Motorsports race valves insted of stock valves. The main difference (other than the material and valve size) is that the diameter of the valve stem is 1MM smaller than stock for better flow. which is great, but I already have a new set of crower valves with the same larger valve size but stock stem dia. I thought about having the guides reamed to fit the larget stem but really yhe right thing to do is to suck it up and buy the motorsport valves, Titanium Retainers, locks and springs. So, I have a call into the motorsports guys to see if a second mortgage on my house will be enough to cover it :-)
This weekend I figured out the wiper wiring and built a harness with a new connector to fit the stock wiper switch.Now I just need to figure out how I am going to run the wires since I don't want to run the wires across the cowl.
I also finished wiring the brake lights and dome lights. I found some sealed door jamb switches so I used those rather than the stock open switches and made a little harness for each switch.
It was kind funny, I finished the switch harnesses, all soldered up with heat shrink, wire loom and connectors and brought them up to the house to show my wife just how talented her husband was. I showed them to her and she was being very nice and trying to look as impressed as possible but it was sorta like when my 5 year old son tapes two sticks together and runs up to show me the awsome robot gun he built. guess some things never change...
Attachments
comb small.jpg
comb small.jpg (103.43 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
exhaust port small.jpg
exhaust port small.jpg (117.67 KiB) Viewed 6876 times
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Man, I want one of THOSE cylinder heads! That thing is money! All that said, it does look relatively expensive.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

None of the Nissan Comp stuff is very cheap but, the head does make the motor building easier since I won't need to ship it down to Rebello to get the porting done
some wiring pics...
Attachments
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG (84.6 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG (78.46 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Looking great! The reservoirs are giving me a good idea!
Such a great project, you're raising the bar perhaps!
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Maybe raising the bar in slowness :lol:

At least I did manage to get the rest of the parts I need for the head ordered though.
I talked to the guys at Nissan Motorsports who run the racer program, they were super helpful and had a few suggestions for the motor.
I ordered the new race valves (with the smaller stem)
Spring seats
Titanium retainers and locks
Seals (different because of the smaller stem)
A set of springs (that must be made of gold and diamonds or I don’t understand the price)
and one thing I never thought of.. they told me that on the race motors they use 350Z one piece buckets instead of the KA buckets because they are lighter. That makes sense but is something I wouldn’t have thought of....
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Yellowcar wrote:Maybe raising the bar in slowness :lol:
nope, Ron holds the record for that one, and I am in a solid second. I never thought I'd lose this particular race, but shoot, someone came along aond out-slow'd me by almost a decade! Damn... but don't let us slow you down...

:P
Yellowcar wrote:At least I did manage to get the rest of the parts I need for the head ordered though.
I talked to the guys at Nissan Motorsports who run the racer program, they were super helpful and had a few suggestions for the motor.
I ordered the new race valves (with the smaller stem)
Spring seats
Titanium retainers and locks
Seals (different because of the smaller stem)
A set of springs (that must be made of gold and diamonds or I don’t understand the price)
and one thing I never thought of.. they told me that on the race motors they use 350Z one piece buckets instead of the KA buckets because they are lighter. That makes sense but is something I wouldn’t have thought of....
mmm, all of it sounds very good and very shiny :) me likey the sound of that stuff, but I can agree with you on the price of some of that stuff. I remember the price of things like Vasco Jet 1000 springs being kind of questionable, until learning that they are basically made with ground Unicorn horns for endurance, and Cheetah legs to make them capable of really high rates of acceleration...
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Got back in town to find Santa delivered a big box from Nissan! I can confirm that everything is indeed shiny. Except the exhaust valves which are…black? The intakes are swirl polished (and shiny). The springs are heat treated, nitride and coated (I think with ground Unicorn horns as Rob mentioned).
I was thinking (which usually leads to problems ) that since I have gone this far with the head I should probably go ahead and get a set of Nissan cams to go with everything instead of using the small(ish) Crower cams I have so the Nissan motorsport guys talked to their engine builder and sent me a set of cams they thought would be a good choice for the engine so, I now have a full set of crower stuff cams, valves, spring etc. to use on another motor.
I gotta say I have been very impressed (and surprised) with the Motorsports guy’s willingness to help. It’s not like I am running a full pro Nissan race program or anything so it is pretty cool of them 
BTW you guys racing 510s now probably already know but, in case you don’t… Nissan Motorsports will give you a discount on their Comp parts if you sign up for their racer program. You don’t need to run any specific class or anything to qualify either (but they do pay some contingency money for some classes)
nmc.race@nissan-usa.com
(They seem to be really busy there so responses can be slow at times so be sure to plan ahead)
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Nissan has a great grassroots program. The contingencies are not what they used to be, but if you need parts, including OE stuff and have part numbers they can get it for you at some pretty good prices.

I beleive Ed Pink's shop does the CNC work on the KA24DE heads. I also beleive Frank Honsowetz (sp?) was or is still there working the Nissan program. These engines where killing the field in the CORE offroad truck series for quite awhile. That is where a good number of them ended up going.

This should be a fun ride when it is done!
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Yea, I heard that Ed Pink worked on the design of the ports as well. Frank Honsowetz (The guy who wrote "How to Modify Your Nissan & Datsun OHC Engine") went to work for Ed Pink in 2001 after many years at Nissan. All the head parts I am getting are the stuff they ran in the CORE truck engines (Different cams though) so I am happy to hear that the engines were sucessful :-)
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Also, FWIW, Frank H. was the engineering manager or the general manager when the Ed Pink shop developed the Infiniti Indy engines for NMC.
70bird

Post by 70bird »

Very nice build! What brakes are you running front and rear?