My Coupe Project, back to the future.....

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
goichi1
Supporter

Re: My Coupe Project....Back in Japan!!

Post by goichi1 »

Yes, I could have documented this way better, here are some quick specifics of the system.

- The power unit is out of a (HN11S) Suzuki Kei, I think late 90's to early 2000, this is a small yellow plate (less than 550cc engine size) car in Japan.
- I stripped the unit of all the junk and left only the motor and shaft, cut off the original mounting brackets and key assembly.
- Icehouse sent me a spare late model (collapsible) column and I removed the inner shaft and cut it short, all I needed was the bottom section with the u-joint that mounts to the steering box, I have an H510 box in my car.
- I trimmed the collar that mounts the original shaft in the car so it would fit around the EPS unit, just kind of notched the sides. I don't have a pic of this...sorry, and made a brace for one side to keep the unit from twisting under torque.
- I mocked up the install and figured out how long to cut the spare shaft to it would mate up with the EPS U-joint, first I had to check that I had enough shaft for the steering wheel, turn signal switch and original column cover to fit, then removed the EPS unit and welded the cut shaft end to the EPS U-joint. It would have been better to have the correct splines cut in this end, but I just found it easier to weld it in the U-joint.
- once that was done, I installed it all in the car, and installed the key switch, turn signal switch and column cover, I had to trim out or clearance the signal switch a little to get it to fit over the EPS shaft as was the case with the key switch too, but I have and ealry model key switch it's a little smaller than the collapsible key switch assy.
- I didn't cut an opening for the wheel lock pin in the EPS column, just didn't feel the need to have the wheel lock.
- then I drove it for about 6 to 8 months with no power, so without power it drives like a normal hard to steer 510.
- next I sourced a speed signal generator, this one is used for older cars that want to have navigation install, it screws to the end of the speed o cable and then into the transmission, this sends the signal to the EPS to work less the faster the car goes.
- next I set about trying to figure out the power, it has a constant 30A positive connection and a standard ground, a trigger 12v switched. this was easy....the hard part was the RPM signal to tell the EPS unit that the car is running.
-RPM signal: not sure what type it is, but it's a 12v pulse of some type, so I found a guy selling a signal generator for this type installation, it wasn't cheap at about $100.00 but it worked. I had previously tried everything, on the SR ECU, and the cars tach signal too, from the coils and everything, just no joy, later I found that the relay I was using was bad, that's another story....but I got that figured out and the $100.00 black box works.

So, in short this is the costs I incurred over the project:
-EPS unit = $100
-RPM signal generator = $100
-suzuki steering wheel boss (hub)= $25.00
-wiring harness = $20.00
-research (wasted money on spare units and EPS ECU's that I thought I fried in the process = $200.00
-spare original steering shaft $100.00??? cant remember if or what I paid Jeff for this or not?? :)

So this can be had for cheap now that I know how to do it.....
Attachments
hn11s unit.jpg
hn11s unit.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Last edited by goichi1 on 26 Dec 2010 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I just sent one of these units off when my old Suzuki Kei Van was written off Richard! If it's out of a 1990's to 2000 Suzuki then the engine size should be 657cc's (less than 660cc anyhow). Changeover year was 1989? Nice work!
Jason
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, that's right 660cc, I forgot about that. here are some pics from the other thread, I'll just `put them together....
Attachments
painted shaft.JPG
painted shaft.JPG (51.18 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
blasted cut shaft.JPG
blasted cut shaft.JPG (42.7 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
speed sensor
speed sensor
speed sensor2.JPG (39.42 KiB) Viewed 3481 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Here's the signal generator (little black box)
- three wires:
-12v switched
-ground
-signal output
Attachments
IMG_9950.JPG
IMG_9950.JPG (167.13 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Wiring, here's the basic rundown:

EPS ECU plug has 5 wires you need for this to work,
1. 12v 30A fused (Main power)
2. Ground (main)
3. 12v switched (key)
4. speed signal (transmission)
5. RPM signal
All the other plugs on the ecu are pre-wired, one from the motor and one from the torque sensor, these are mounted on the assembly itself, you just plug them up to the EPS ECU, that's the little silver box hanging under the unit labeled (C2).

I used the Vintage wiring plug I bought off ebay to do the harness plug, works really nice to make for a clean "looks factory" install.

Overall, I had it installed in half a day, fabbed up and everything, it was the wiring that drove me crazy for a while!!! but it's so nice to have it working and it's twice the fun to drive now!!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That's great Rich, thanks for summing this up. This is a mod that i do believe would make many of our high caster cars much more friendly to drive. And you did say that this also helped keep the car more stable on rutted roads as well? This I also like, a lighter feel at the wheel. I'm very interested in this mod.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yes, it dampens the bad roads out greatly, before mine was all over the place on a few roads around here, so I am really happy about that. If it were installed with a decent rack it would really be great, the old steering box just has too much play in it, but it's way better than before, wish you could actually drive it, I am sure you would like it. can't hear the motor driving it at all, I felt it after driving a while, it was warm, that's it. one of the best mods I have made so far.....really cool.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

....and I have seen these kits sell for $800.00 and up on Yahoo jp, even in the states, I can easily make this kit now for under $250.00 maybe less depending on the price of the unit itself, I got one the other day off Yahoo jp for about 40.00 shipped to me, I bought another one because I thought I fried the ECU or motor... but I didn't so I will save it for another project.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I almost forgot, you also have to change your steering hub to the Suzuki hub, the shaft is a different size. I also made a bracket for the blinker cancel, just drilled and tapped the back of the hub and mounted the bracket to the hub back with small screws, usually the back of the hub has pins that cancel the turn signal, but the diameter of the area that is drilled for these pins was too small, I could always pull my steering to take a pic...if anyone needs it......
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I cleaned up the garage today and installed another shelf, got some things off the floor and while I was moving stuff around Emma came out to give me a hand, looks like her first project is building a set of coilovers!! I knew she was going to like car stuff.....:) I dumped the strut tubes out and she had dropped two wrenches in there!! so funny....
Attachments
Emma at work.jpg
Emma at work.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Benzo

Post by Benzo »

Hey Rich if that is your daughter she is super cute. Sweet pic my wife loves her.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Whoa, Juliette thinks she's cute Richard!
Jason
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Thank you!! yea, she's our little macaroni!! she's already working too!! my wife has been taking her to modeling auditions and she has already been in numerous clothing catalogs and baby related ads.....the other day she went to one for a picture on a product package....a box or something, not sure if she got it yet, but they all pay really good too, already working toward a good education!! She's only a year and 4 months and makes good money!!! hahaha......oh and she got her looks from her mother!! obviously :shock:
Benzo

Post by Benzo »

So this means the bluebird gets its good looks from you. The bird is your baby.

Yeah if she can make good money modeling and put toward education that is a big help as school can get costly. I know in japan it is not cheap. I remember my friend had to spend like 500 us dollars for a backpack. Crazy.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Ok, I popped the top off the "little black box" to see if this is something that could easily be duplicated, then I started doing a little research, looks like I might start trying my hand at some basic electronics.....I want to even make my own boards, it doesn't look too hard from the little research I've done so far....so I might give it a shot. I'll probably pull the board out of this one so I can see the back and copy the layout and sequence......it's worth a shot to make these.
Attachments
IMG_9956.JPG
IMG_9956.JPG (93 KiB) Viewed 3348 times