1971 White S15 SR20DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
e510

Re: 1971 White S15 SR20DET

Post by e510 »

Wow, stunning build. Hard work and talent shows though.
Thanks
Did you buy the car with the VG33 in it?
No, It had a Vg30 that had over 200,000 miles on it and so I decided to just do a redo with a vg33 and then add some goodies like, cams, equal length headers and 3" exhaust.

Did you enjoy the VG33 motor?
Yes, but that being said I learned a lot over the years after I put the VG33 in the car and built several sr20 powered cars at SPRISO motorsports. That changed some of my preferences and ideas of what I like for power.

I currently have a SR20DET powered roadster that is just so much fun to drive and could not be happy with the power output of that engine.
Does one ever sell a car like this once its done, or does it become part of the family heirloom?
Well that is a really long drawn out answer that I will say I offered it some people forsale with the VG33 but really no one was very interested at the time and so I said I will throw a new engine in it and it has to be Turbo'd and see what I think of the car after that. I'm hoping to put down about 250 to the wheels and make some good noises doing it.

Thanks
Eric
jonesmechanical

Post by jonesmechanical »

Any idea how much power the vg33 was putting out with all of the adds? If you ever dyno'd it how much? If not, what did your butt dyno tell you?

Doing the VG34 upgrade with everything I can reasonably throw at it (high octane tuning, gutted plenum, headers, cams, 10:1 Compression and a bit of head work) I think I will feel extremely lucky if I hit 250 crank, or close to 200 wheel. Torque Was the VG33 a noticeable jump in power output, if so, how long did it keep you content?

I don't know if my car will ever see an sr20 in it, but there is a reason why this motor is the most popular swap. It really does justice to you car. Even VG33's in 510's are fairly rare, let alone one with all of the simple bolt ons. I am documenting my vg34 build here on the forum (motor swap section) and am doing this build in large part because I don't think anyone with a 510 has done it and documented the results. For that matter, there is really not a 100% complete documented build on the vg34e anywhere that goes as far to actually measure or at least accurately or scientifically measure output.

I will have to sign in on the 311 site and check out the build. I have restored 3 roadsters, one of which was a 66 with a 68 2 liter 5 speed, on a wannabe 67.5 short window 2 liter. Such a fun car, I can only imagine what yours is like.
e510

Post by e510 »

I have not posted much for a while now but we have been working away at little things like wiring, brackets, brake lines and so on. We got it running last weekend so hopefully will have it driving again in the next month or so. Still tons of little things but is really coming together just how I pictured it. Clean and simple.

The exhaust is all finished up and hung. Throttle pedal and cable is all sorted out. We were even able to build all the brake and clutch lines so they dont touch the firewall. We also made a big effort at cleaning up all the wiring so you cant see as much as possible. A big thanks goes out to Michael Spreadbury.

qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Absolutely Beautiful. Amazing attention to details.

WOW!
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
macdatty

Post by macdatty »

Love this car!!
Any updates?
spriso

Post by spriso »

We drove the car for the first time last weekend, and it runs like a watch. I love how silky smooth the SR-series engines are! There is a small list of details to button up as Eric and I have time, but the car is now back in his shop and he can start getting those knocked off the list as he has time.

The end result is outstanding-- Eric has done a great job building his original vision and I am proud to have helped him on a few details on this project. It has lit a fire under me to complete my own SR powered 510 project... just need to get the wife's SR powered roadster done first!

I am sure that Eric will update this thread when he has time...

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Micheal, you are working him too hard!! very nice car! Rich
e510

Post by e510 »

Thanks to the Spriso family again. As Michael said the car is alive and runs great. As you would guess it is raining up in Oregon everyday so there is no real hurry to get it on the road. So I will be trying to finish up a ton of details to make it road worthy in the spring.

I want to throw out a special thanks to Michael as this car would not be the car it is today without his help and expertise. He did a absolutely flawless job on every task he put his mind to; including a new from scratch fuse box, relay's and all new brake and clutch lines.

I only have a couple photo updates to show as of tonight. A final shot of the engine compartment and some interior shots. Hope you enjoy.

SX-510

Post by SX-510 »

Such an incredible job! 10 points for your fab skills mate!

What you are creating there is pure perfection :D
SR20DET 1971 Datsun Bluebird 1800SSS Coupe - 11.58 @ 122.40 MPH 18PSI GT2871R and PLMS NIStune
Historic 1971 Datsun 1600 Wagon - L series nostalgia
Historic 1970 Datsun 1600 Sedan - Budget racer project
Historic 1967 Datsun 1000 Wagon - A series resto
macdatty

Post by macdatty »

Awesome job Guys. Could look at that engine bay all day!!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

The quality is right up there with the roadster's, very well done. What is the brand of that emergency brake setup?
woodie

Post by woodie »

This has to be the most impressive build I've seen so far, very nice job.
I think the hand brake set up is made by Ksport I have the same in my car
again I love this build attention to detail is perfection
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

STUNNING! Do you plan on serving meals on that motor, or performing surgery up there? God forbid you blow a gasket, you'll have to start the whole build over again. Hell, right down to the dynomat that thing screams detail. Very impressive! I'm doing an SR build right now, but your car's from another planet dude.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
speeder

Post by speeder »

I agree with Ron. Insanely well done. It fits well with the rest of the magic you guys are doing that can be seen on Spriso's website. Hands down the nicest restomod Roadsters anywhere are coming out of your shop. You guys are doing phenomenal work and really doing right by putting so much time and mastery into Datsuns, not Ferrari's, Porsche's or some other exotic that would probably pay you a lot more money. Much respect.

Now, hit us with a massive photo album and driving impressions update! Lets see some in car and on the road video, with sound!
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster
e510

Post by e510 »

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately it rains up in Oregon a little bit during this time of year. But that will give me plenty of time to finish details for some spring drives. We will have some update pics after we go for a drive or two.

The E-brake is a K-sport piece and seems to work well.