1971 White S15 SR20DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Re: 1971 White S15 SR20DET

Post by blueridgespeed »

-late to the party - NICE work indeed! I worked very hard to make a carb'd 510 engine bay look so clean - it's really impressive to see a f.i. swap look even better/cleaner! Very nicely done. Inspirational!
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

510rob wrote:Eric, I'd be curious to see the progress through welding the manifold runners together, & to the head flange, & to the turbo flange. Intermediate pics showing process during progress would be appreciated by us Luddites.
me too (some years later, but hey, I'm slow!)

Specifically with welding weld-el's in 304 stainless, I see no evidence that the backside was "purged" ie: bathed in argon.

I'm new to the SS tig'ing game, but as I understand it one can make a setup to bath the interior of a tubular structure in argon OR use some sealing flux-ish products to limit the "sugaring" oxidization of the area you weld that is NOT getting covered by your torch.

SOOOO! did you do either of these things? Neither? Both? Do tell!

I'll take any help I can get, and the help I get is quite random! The best input I've gotte lately is from some dudes that tig stainless for the food service industry - but they butt-weld and "back purge" (bath the I.D. of the tube in argon) - simple enough in priciple.

For a structure like this merge collector and then the rest of the header - let a little fella like me in on the method, guys!
e510

Post by e510 »

Great questions. I'm not sure if I will be able to answer all of them as I don't have that much experience with these manifolds. To be honest this was my first attempt at building one and I was happy with the end result. I just told myself I have nothing to loose other then time and little money. Mostly time. I personally have never back purged any of my welding and only seen it done once. I did consider it but really don't have the separate bottle or other equipment to do it. I think if you have the access and knowledge then you should. I always say to build to your ability and equipment that allows. If you are trying to do more then you can then usually the end result is worse. If your friends that back purge on a regular basis can come over and teach then do it but if you are just reading online this what to do then I would say focus on your welds and make sure you spend some time on prepping joints.

For this manifold I made sure that I had a nice bevels as well as no gaps to fill. I then spent a while getting my machine dialed in for the thickness. I did weld the flanges to the table when I was welding them as I wanted to make sure that I could put some heat into the flanges for penetration as they are mild steel. Make sure you clean all the mill scale off.

These are very fun and rewarding to build. You just have to do alot of planning and thinking. I used advil.
macrosshn

Post by macrosshn »

can you explain to me how the k sport e-brake is plumbed? does it simply plumb inline with the rear brake line? if this is the case, this is going to make my life a whole lot easier (been driving around without an e/parking brake for some time).

btw, your car is simply amazing.
e510

Post by e510 »

can you explain to me how the k sport e-brake is plumbed? does it simply plumb inline with the rear brake line? if this is the case, this is going to make my life a whole lot easier (been driving around without an e/parking brake for some time).
Yes you are correct. It goes inline and is a hydro brake. I have only used a couple time now and am pretty happy with it as I have had the car for about 6 years without a ebrake option. I do agree with the thory of having a seperate cable sytem as a actual second option that is stand alone. But I would say this is better then 2x4 in my driveway.
Sleepys-14

Post by Sleepys-14 »

Wow, very nice work.
Beer... The cause of, and solution to, all of lives problems- Homer Simpson
e510

Post by e510 »

I was able take out the car for a test drive around town. It was really fun. I shot a couple shots with the point and shoot. The manifold has a nice gold color to it now after I got some heat into it.

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Excellent meticulous work, very nice. That gold color is really exceptional.

The pipes must have been very clean the first time, eh?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

WoW!! that's a really clean car!! very nice work, you are a lucky guy to get to work with Michael Spreadbury....you guys are good! maybe my next one will be that nice! I have also heard if you wipe a new header down with WD40 before you run it, it will have a nice clean finish once it gets hot, but I have never tried it.
Camano510
Supporter

Post by Camano510 »

Amazing. Period. Now THAT'S doin' it.
Darryl Cavanaugh
"There is no such thing as free school. Every lesson learned cost me some form of 'tuition'. Time, money, or pain. Sometimes all three".
71 510 2dr father/son project
macdatty

Post by macdatty »

Beautiful!!!
macrosshn

Post by macrosshn »

e510 wrote:Most of the brake lines are going to be hidden just how I like it.
can you explain to me how the brake lines are routed. judging from this picture, you have isolated both front and rear brake circuits. i've always wanted to get rid of the distribution block and hide my lines; you've given me the inspiration to do it.

btw, the car looks beautiful on the road. the gold hue on the manifold is lovely.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

I tried to pm you but for some reason it wouldn't go through.
Is that radiator you had maid a 24x13x2 ? I am asking because I am using a gti vr6 rad with the two bottom passes taken out so my inter cooler pipes can run under my rad and I do not like the vw radiator because there is no filler neck on it. And I am trying to decide what radiator I want to use
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
Gotpancit

Post by Gotpancit »

That is pure freakin sex! Good job man, you must not have kids or a wife lol!! I def envy this build!
e510

Post by e510 »

Is that radiator you had maid a 24x13x2 ?
My radiator is wider at 27 x 13 x 2. That being said I would get a tape measure out and figure out what works best for your pluming.
you must not have kids or a wife lol!!
You are correct. No wife or kids. Just a garage full of parts and tools.