Converting to top feed rail on S13 Blk Top

RonM
Supporter

Converting to top feed rail on S13 Blk Top

Post by RonM »

Looking for a little tech help!

I'm looking to convert to a top feed fuel rail on an SR20DET S13 to accommodate larger injectors required for E85. I'm getting an ISIS intake manifold that for all fitment purposes is identical to the stock intake configuration. I'm getting a Jim Wolf top feed rail that is designed to bolt on to a stock manifold. If this works it would be $500 cheeper than the Gretty equivalent.

Will this work? Has anyone used this, or similar solution? Are there any known issues I should look out for?

Thanks
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Rubhamusan

Re: Converting to top feed rail on S13 Blk Top

Post by Rubhamusan »

Yeah it should work just fine.I always just ordered and extrusion and drilled it out and taped the ends for and fittings. 2 mounting tabs bent to 90deg and finished.use a bosh high emp injector I think it was a pentle style.it's been a while.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

So far everything's gone smoothly, although I'm waiting on the injectors ID 1000cc, so I won't be able to finish until then. I'm actually very impressed with the quality of the ISIS intake. For the price it's down right miraculous. I'll submit another post when I wrap it all up.
Attachments
Front-ISIS-Intake&cooler.jpg
Front-ISIS-Intake&cooler.jpg (124.92 KiB) Viewed 9860 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

this is one sweet looking car, should be nice when it is done. I also was going to go with a top feed setup. but as my build went along I had to change somethings to keep the cost down, my wife is not happy with my spending habits. keep up the good work...

Aron
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Ash510 wrote:this is one sweet looking car, should be nice when it is done. I also was going to go with a top feed setup. but as my build went along I had to change somethings to keep the cost down, my wife is not happy with my spending habits. keep up the good work...

Aron
Well if you're ever tempted in the future :twisted: you can save over $500 by using the ISIS intake & JDM fuel rail over the Gretty stuff, but don't tell your wife I said that. Thanks for the compliments on the car. It's something I've been planning for a very long time, and I'm super happy with how it's turning out. I'll put together a few more picts info when I get the intake, side of the motor done. Should be the end of this week.

Ron M
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

So, I ran into more issues with the injector seating properly into the intake manifold. Fortunately I found a solution that fixed it quite easily.

Here is what I have:
ISIS SR20 Intake Manifold
Jim Wolf Technologies SR20 Fuel Rail
Injector Dynamics ID1000 kit for SR20

Here is what I ran into:
* The injectors are 14 mm Top and Bottom which fits the fuel rail but is slightly smaller than the intake inner O ring sleeve. Injector Dynamics provides an oversized O ring that is intended to make up the difference, but it was a bit too big. When I attempted to instal it into the intake sleeve the O ring distorted and bound up even when lubed with motor oil.
* When the injectors are inserted deep enough to rest against the big rubber injector seat, they extend the O ring too deep past the inner seat down into the intake port.
* The mounting holes on the fuel rail do not correspond to the mounting holes on the intake.

Solutions:
* The ISIS intake has a very shallow O ring seat sleeve. For the injector to seat properly the O ring can't extend deeper than an 1/8" past the outer big rubber washer / seat that sits over the manifold injector sleeve. What I did was to stack 9/16" metal washers as spacers so that the oversized O ring extends just past the big rubber seat. The washers fit so well I could swear they were made just for this application. This spacer solution actually solved both injector issues, When the O ring had the rubber seat / washer backing it, there was less distortion when installing it, so it fit nice and tight in the sleeve. I will admit though, the stack of washers looks like crap, so I'm looking into a nylon spacer alternative.
* As for the brackets to hold the fuel rail in place, it was a simple matter of cutting and drilling a corner brace to size, then drilling the fuel rail to meet the holes in the intake. I drilled the holes in the bracket just a bit short so that I can snug the fuel rail onto the injectors with lock nuts

Even though there were a few issues to work out. I think the saving of $500 was more than worth the trouble. And now that the leg work is done
Attachments
injectorClose.jpg
injectorClose.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
fullIntake.jpg
fullIntake.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
mphatik

Post by mphatik »

Interesting. I had a '89 Sileighty before this 510 I'm picking up and I did a topfeed fuel rail as well. I went with the GReddy intake manifold and a HKS fuel rail. I made custom AN fittings for my fuel pressure gauge as well since it's there. I made custom spacers to fit the fuel rail and used RC Engineering 750cc Injectors. I was running a GT2871R at the time.

For an idea.

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Nice looking engine bay. So what's a Sileighty? Is that an Australian car?
James

Post by James »

This is interesting read (its wikipedia - so take it for what its worth).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sileighty
Finished is better than perfect......
mphatik

Post by mphatik »

Just another name for a 240SX 89-94 Fastback model, with the Japanese Silvia S13 front end. In Japan, fastback model is called a 180SX, the coupe the Silvia.

So the S13 frontend on a fastback 180sx (US 240SX Hatchback) is considered a Sil80. Silvia+180sx = Sil80

Here was mine, the engine belonged in this thing.

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Daaaaaaamb

How I'm going to have to get me one of those. That thing is SICK
mphatik

Post by mphatik »

You should have seen it at least on 880, I drove it darn near everyday for a year. I had stayed in Union City and Fremont.
Had lots of fun, basically sold it to a kid who ended up competing in a drift event. Natural to say, he ended up qualifying the 2nd round, decided to go a 3rd round for the hell of it, and put the car into the wall head first, then slammed the rear quarter clean off.

Totalled my ex-sil80, engine was hurt but not too badly damaged. Last I heard he sold it locally on Craigslist.