LSD GEAR OIL

///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

Yes and no.

a Posi is liek the most basic of basic LSD.

an LSD has more mechanical parts in it where as posi is closer to a simple spool.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

* Pontiac: Safe-T-Track
* Ford: Equa-Lock and Trac-Lok
* American Motors Corporation: Twin-Grip
* Mopar: Sure Grip
* Ferrari: E-Diff
* Fiat: Viscodrive
* TVR: Hydratrak
* Oldsmobile: Anti-Spin
* Jeep: Trac-Lok (clutch-type mechanical) and Tru-Lok (gear-type mechanical)
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

all the ones you just listed with LSDs installed use different fluids from the factory.

I install diff/rear end at work all the time via ICBC claims and the only time the dealer ever suplies the friction modifier crap is with open diff and crap ass old school posi. they don;t have any clutchs or anything in em. they quite litteraly spools.

The LSD equipped versions have an LSD specific oil suplied with them.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

///FiveOneOh wrote:the only time the dealer ever suplies the friction modifier crap is with open diff and crap ass old school posi. they don;t have any clutchs or anything in em. they quite litteraly spools.
Why would a spool require anything special, it would be no different from an open diff as far as oiling goes (spool = welded diff).
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

my point exactly.
tycot1
Supporter

oil

Post by tycot1 »

specialty says GM lsd additive for the diff. i use 1.5 jugs, i think they come in pints and are about 15- 20 bucks each. 1 is too little and 2 is to much i have found.
xxhavenxx

RE: oil

Post by xxhavenxx »

does anybody know if i can run just straight valvoline full synthetic? or do i need to find a friction additive to dump in there?
hang_510
Supporter

Re: LSD GEAR OIL

Post by hang_510 »

.bUmp.

this weekend i was having in depth conversations about rear end lube requirements...
once it turned to LSD, there was no agreement on what Nismo recommended for theirs.

the topic was the clunking i have in my R160 and the discussion turned to using wrong lube can cause the clunking.
[the best description is that there is no slip between the clutches, just on or off and has an odd humm/whine only in turns/corners]

i installed an NOS LSD. first i used royal purple LSD lube and wasnt happy, it seemed to seep out the vent and make a big mess.

changing the oil to what suburu had on the shelf hasnt made any difference.

also, at each change, the clutches should be 'burned' again, multiple full turns to the left, then right.
i never did this either time. (smokey donuts dont count do they?)

so... i will change the fluid again and try this method, but i want to hear some more users results with whatever brand they have been happy with. and if anyone else has a clunk like i described and if they were able to simply correct it.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

(I had a '70 Dart) FSM for SureGrip shuddering or noise was to take the vehicle out and perform 10 left and 10 right hand circles. This forces the lube up between the clutches and discs to 'wet' them.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Put a quart of 10w-40 in it and be done!!!!!!!!!!!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Most makers specify strongly that you use LSD oil. Oil on clutch equals slip. Wrong oil on LSD clutches might equal uncontrolled slip, no slip or severe wear.... and then what use is your LSD????
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I run Redline Synthetic 75w90 in my Subie LSD. I already has friction modifiers in it and works perfect.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

datzenmike wrote:(I had a '70 Dart) FSM for SureGrip shuddering or noise was to take the vehicle out and perform 10 left and 10 right hand circles. This forces the lube up between the clutches and discs to 'wet' them.
Yeah this is how I broke-in my R180 LSD. Sounded like a friggin' jackhammer at first ! Drove it for a couple of weeks then changed out the oil (Royal Purple LSD with a friction modifier additive). The oil came out bright silver metallic at first but I have changed since and its normal now.

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

McShagger510 wrote:
datzenmike wrote:(I had a '70 Dart) FSM for SureGrip shuddering or noise was to take the vehicle out and perform 10 left and 10 right hand circles. This forces the lube up between the clutches and discs to 'wet' them.
Yeah this is how I broke-in my R180 LSD. Sounded like a friggin' jackhammer at first ! Drove it for a couple of weeks then changed out the oil (Royal Purple LSD with a friction modifier additive). The oil came out bright silver metallic at first but I have changed since and its normal now.

James
James, this is exactly how my new Precession LSD unit felt in my R180 - coupled with the natural "play" in the CV shafts - it was freekin loud at first. The trip to Canby helped quiet the thing down quite a bit, but maybe I should do the circle trick with the diff worm, and also do an oil change - shiny metallic oil just doesn't sound good at all! I've been using regular 75w-90 gear oil with two bottles of GM LSD lube as suggested by both Specialty and that other 'fricken' rear end shop in Burnaby. Thanks for the reminder, I think I'll be out there to change that oil.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.