Sound Deadener?

mpdcop

Sound Deadener?

Post by mpdcop »

Has anyone ever used Dynamat, Eastwood, Fatmat....? Which product is better? I realize that Dynamat is popular and it is very expensive. What have some of you used and what do you like better? thanks
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Sound Deadener?

Post by datzenmike »

Roll on roofing tar. Called 'Torch On' in some places. About a meter wide and 1/4 to 3/8" thick, absolutely dry to the touch, has clear plastic on one side. Install with plastic covering upward and replace carpet on top of that. Looks like rubber sheeting, cuts with tin snips or knife. For corners or odd shape lumps or depressions in floor warm with a propane torch to soften and mold into place. You can melt two pieces and they will 'weld' together. I got all I needed for asking at a construction site for the roll ends. Roofers like to use single pieces where possible and chuck shorter lengths.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dynamat is good stuff, we've tried all the brands and Dynamat is by far my favorite. Nice and thick. We even put in on the roof before the headliners go in. Road noise gets annoying.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

Ok, thanks... I kinda figured Dynamat is gonna be the best.

I did find a site www.streetsideauto.com that sales the Dynamat brand at a reasonable price... Just in case anyone is interested.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

There is a site where many were compared. I can't find it now but I might have it aved at work. It was good, with some good testing, and many brands were tested. Sorry for the teaser, hopefully I can come through with a link.
cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen »

I believe S15DET is referring to sound deadener showdown. Great read. This actually influenced the purchase of my sound deadener. I used tiles from second skin audio and bought the foam and mass loaded vinyl locally.

Hear is the old link http://www.dctra.org/files/1974_TR6_Car ... owdown.pdf

This was actually version 2. I had also read version 1 but can no longer find it. The guy who did the original comparison now sells his own products and has a lot of information on his site. http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ Hope that helps.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I used Dynamat Extreme in my car. Great stuff. I shopped around and found that I got the best deal on eBay. 36SF pack was $120 shipped but that was a few years ago.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
mpdcop

Post by mpdcop »

Thank you all very much...I think I have decided to go to with the Dynamat Extreme. Found it for $125 for the 36 sq ft. That was from the site I posted above.
pmaknefob

Post by pmaknefob »

For the last 9-10 years, Mercedes Benz has been using a 1/4" thick foam pad with cardboard on both sides of it (1/4" Foam, sandwiched between 2 layers of thin cardboard) as a sound deadener on the roof panels of their sedans. It is as light as a feather, and is commonly sold in the USA as Poster board. I've seen it sold in drug stores and art stores. It's never used in areas where it would get wet, such as a door, but would work well in a roof, or a 2 door 510's quarter panles, and it's a lot lighter than any stick-on tar like material. They glue it on with several 1/4" beads of windshield glue, but I think even a tough sealer that dries like rubber (not silicone) and has really good adhesion would work well too.
phantum510
Supporter

Post by phantum510 »

pmaknefob wrote:For the last 9-10 years, Mercedes Benz has been using a 1/4" thick foam pad with cardboard on both sides of it (1/4" Foam, sandwiched between 2 layers of thin cardboard) as a sound deadener on the roof panels of their sedans. It is as light as a feather, and is commonly sold in the USA as Poster board. I've seen it sold in drug stores and art stores. It's never used in areas where it would get wet, such as a door, but would work well in a roof, or a 2 door 510's quarter panles, and it's a lot lighter than any stick-on tar like material. They glue it on with several 1/4" beads of windshield glue, but I think even a tough sealer that dries like rubber (not silicone) and has really good adhesion would work well too.
Foamcore is a name for that board, its used for signs and posters http://www.artsupply.com/brand/foamcore.htm
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Check Fatmat on Ebay . 200SQ ft. for 150.00 , its enough to do a whole 510. I did mine, its pretty amazing stuff.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Looks like this thread is….
Attachments
Back-From-The-Dead.jpg
Back-From-The-Dead.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 7230 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*