Air Care Help?

jason
Supporter

Air Care Help?

Post by jason »

Well, I just failed air care and I was wondering what to do about this. Seems like I failed the idle test only with about 10% more carbon monoxide than they allow. Would a tuning of the carbs help? I'm running a U20 with 2x44 solex mikuni.

Thanks

Jason
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I don't have much experience with Sidedraughts..but to be that close with dual carbs....is pretty amazing I think!

I'm sure you'll be able to get it to pass with a little tuning. Also a general tune up (oil change etc) will help as well...and some 94 octane MoHawk gas.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

5teN wrote:I don't have much experience with Sidedraughts..but to be that close with dual carbs....is pretty amazing I think!

I'm sure you'll be able to get it to pass with a little tuning. Also a general tune up (oil change etc) will help as well...and some 94 octane MoHawk gas.
Hi Spence:

Yeah, suprised me with the result too, but, being the total 10 thumbed clot that I am and doing it for the first time in my life I spent the last 2 nights and most of saturday changing the points, plugs, rotor and cap, ignition wires and the oil, probably took me 10 hours to get it right. If I had to do this for a living I'd starve to death!

Lets see:

Driving Test
Max Allowable Vehicle Reading
Hydrocarbons 388 209 Pass
Carbon Monoxide 4.47 4.04 Pass
Oxides of Nitrogen 4112 380 Pass

Idle Test

Hydrocarbons 1036 659 Pass
Carbon Monoxide 5.41 5.83 Fail

So close, yet so far! I ran the test on good old Real Canadian Superstore Premium (it's actually Esso) at 91 octane, maybe should try the Mohawk 94 octane next time. I've been thinking that I probably need to tune and balance the carbs and lean them out, the spark plugs that I replaced where black, sooty coated. Sigh, anybody got a good article on tuning solex side draught carbs? If not, has anyone dealt with Toyo motors before, Bob? said they could do the tuning (oh boy, I see big bill coming!)

Thanks

Jason
Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

Way back when, When I actually got my car through Air care I retarded the timing quite drastically. When you do this you have to make sure your car does not overheat. Also make sure yor idle is high enough.. but not too high.
The clean oil, very clean air filter, Mohawk(ethanol) gas.. all are important too.
what other mods does your engine have?
..also what engine do you have.
I did this with a 2litre, huge cam and dual sidedraught webers.
Brent
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Turn7 wrote:Way back when, When I actually got my car through Air care I retarded the timing quite drastically. When you do this you have to make sure your car does not overheat. Also make sure yor idle is high enough.. but not too high.
The clean oil, very clean air filter, Mohawk(ethanol) gas.. all are important too.
what other mods does your engine have?
..also what engine do you have.
I did this with a 2litre, huge cam and dual sidedraught webers.
Hi Turn:

I have a bone stock U20 in a 1968 datsun roadster with the stock solex carb's. Just changed the oil and filter today and the air filter is just cleaned out. Haven't tried the Mohawk 94 yet, will next time though. I really hate this aircare system! Should I bump up the idle after tuning the carbs?

Thanks

Jason
Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

The Mohwak should work . But Do not bump up the timing. "bump it back" Retarding it will have the spark and 'flame' closer to the exhaust giving you a cleaner burn. You will lose power. But it might work.
The other item I would tweak is the idle richness. I am not too up on the Solex's , but I think there are Idle richness screws. Lean these out as much as possible, .. and then take another $23.00 test drive.
Brent
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Turn7 wrote:The Mohwak should work . But Do not bump up the timing. "bump it back" Retarding it will have the spark and 'flame' closer to the exhaust giving you a cleaner burn. You will lose power. But it might work.
The other item I would tweak is the idle richness. I am not too up on the Solex's , but I think there are Idle richness screws. Lean these out as much as possible, .. and then take another $23.00 test drive.
I'm looking up the adjustments on the solex's right now, I'll try the carb bits first, get some nice 94 Mohawk and then go get raped again! I really, really hate air care!

Thanks

Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

OK guys, here are some tricks that work.

Retard timing.
Use either Chevron 94 or Mohawk 94 gas
Clean oil helps
Methyl Hydrate helps big time add a couple liters to a 1/4 tank of premium
Higher thermostat temp (195 - 200 deg F)
Idle set above 1000 rpm
Lean it out as much as you can, but it's important that it run smooth. Don’t worry about drivability at this point, once you've passed, you just put it back to normal.
That's all the info that I can get my twin side draft, big cammed LZ2.2 though with, good luck.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

Man, I wish California would take part of the Canadian smog test and use it. Namely, no underhood inspection!

You guys only have the sniffer, If we pass the sniffer, but have ONE smog item unhooked, we fail.

Oh yeah, and 94 octane gas would be real nice too! :-)
Sacramento Datsun Owners
~Visit Sacramento Datsun Owners on Facebook!
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Byron510 wrote:OK guys, here are some tricks that work.

Retard timing.
Use either Chevron 94 or Mohawk 94 gas
Clean oil helps
Methyl Hydrate helps big time add a couple liters to a 1/4 tank of premium
Higher thermostat temp (195 - 200 deg F)
Idle set above 1000 rpm
Lean it out as much as you can, but it's important that it run smooth. Don’t worry about drivability at this point, once you've passed, you just put it back to normal.
That's all the info that I can get my twin side draft, big cammed LZ2.2 though with, good luck.
Byron
Still working on tuning the carbs, then the fresh gas, yeesh.

Thanks

Jason
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

68Datsun510 wrote:Man, I wish California would take part of the Canadian smog test and use it. Namely, no underhood inspection!

You guys only have the sniffer, If we pass the sniffer, but have ONE smog item unhooked, we fail.

Oh yeah, and 94 octane gas would be real nice too! :-)
Only a couple of places sell 94 octane gas up here, DF, however with the smog test, you are only subject to it if you live in the lower mainland (greater vancouver)! It's not fair!

Jason
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

Check that.... you are only subject to it if your CAR lives in the lower mainland.... haha hahahh mmuuahahahahahhhahaa......
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

supersportsedan wrote:Check that.... you are only subject to it if your CAR lives in the lower mainland.... haha hahahh mmuuahahahahahhhahaa......
Yep, sucks don't it!

Jason
68Datsun510

Post by 68Datsun510 »

That seems jusat about as bad as our inspection test. I see everyone has their own unfair part to the test.
Sacramento Datsun Owners
~Visit Sacramento Datsun Owners on Facebook!
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

68Datsun510 wrote:That seems jusat about as bad as our inspection test. I see everyone has their own unfair part to the test.
Uh huh, fairness has nothing to do with it, neither does environmental concerns, else they would have brought the mandatory testing into all of British Columbia. Sure, I'm a cynic, but, hey it's about gov't and gov't never had to make sense, just jobs right!

Jason