It's time to get my car up and running

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Bike papa
Supporter

It's time to get my car up and running

Post by Bike papa »

Hello. To all,
I decided it's time to get the 510 up and running.

I have a 71. 2dr. That I bought from my brother thirty years ago. Rust free and never been crashed. Twenty years ago. I installed a. L20b motor along with a "z". Five speed tranny. The motor has a 1800 ss head along with a 32/36 weber and cannon intake manifold.
I also installed the euro taillights. This car also has factory tach.

Unfortunately raising a family took priority over the last few years and the Vegas weather has taken it's toll on the car.

But now it's time for a rebuild.
I'll be asking a lot of questions
Pics to follow

My daily driver? A 2008 VW. R32.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Re: It's time to get my car up and running

Post by okayfine »

Hello, and welcome to The Realm. Thanks for posting your location. There are a couple LV Realm members here. Feel free to post pictures when you get a chance.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Vegas weather has taken it's toll???? We should all be so lucky. Welcome and post up some pics, sounds like a good platform.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Easy to imagine, though...summer heat bakes the car, destroys the rubber. Winter rain soaks the car, gets inside. Might not be that bad, might have Flintstone floors.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

here's a few pics of my "Yard Find" although it is my yard.
the tires were replaced w/ PEP Boys specials so i could roll it into the garage

ordered some new radiator and heating hoses to replace the cracked ones. also ordered a rebuild kit for the weber. I have the SSS dual carb set-up that i never installed. are there any performance gains with them over the weber?

I'll be firing it up soon (hopefully)

BTW it does not have "Flintstone" floors. the worst rust is what's pictured under the bumper.
Attachments
510-4.jpg
510-4.jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
510-3.jpg
510-3.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
510-2.jpg
510-2.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Another Vegas member. Thats awesome. There are a few of us here in town. Most of them dont use the forums that often. I think Im no the most active from Vegas. What side of town are you on?
looking for pass. side arm rest
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Wow Mr. Papa, You've got a diamond in the rough. A lot of guys here dream of cars like that, and would give their left (fill in the blank) to find one that straight and rust free. What is the interior like? Judging by that satellite picture (priceless BTW) I guess you've got some work needs done there too.

You know this car has the potential to be very successful rat rod 510. Seriously, there are guys who really value the UNTOUCHED weathered original paint. All you would need to do is seal what you have and it would be an instant found art masterpiece. That wouldn't preclude you from fixing up the motor and suspension either. When and if you wanted to restore the exterior it would be ready and waiting. Just a thought.

Welcome to the Realm.

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Rainbow /. Charleston. The google map should get you the rest of the way. Lol

I dig the whole rat rod thing but I just can't see it with the 510. I think that should be reserved for American iron.
I'm leaning towards a "BRE" flavor. Although I'm not sure about flaring the fenders since "stock metal" getting hard to find.
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hearts are breaking on Ratson.com :cry:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Cool, when you get it running let me know. I can get some of the other 510 guys together for a run.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Bike papa wrote:I have the SSS dual carb set-up that i never installed. are there any performance gains with them over the weber?
Depends on the Weber, there were many styles. Also depends on how you've tuned the Weber, and what your goals are. The SSS SU setup will probably give you better mileage and mid-range. They're not necessarily more difficult to work on, though they are different. Outright performance on modified versions of each carb probably favor the Weber, but again, it's all part of the total system.
RonM wrote:Seriously, there are guys who really value the UNTOUCHED weathered original paint
Ron, hush. Once you start sealing "patina" things have gone too far. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from sanding "patina" into their paint and sealing it and bragging about it, which is beyond too far.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

okayfine wrote: Ron, hush. Once you start sealing "patina" things have gone too far. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from sanding "patina" into their paint and sealing it and bragging about it, which is beyond too far.
point Julian! Game, set, match, :lol: :lol:
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

after reading a couple of build threads i see i've been out of the game way too long.
these engine / suspensions options didn't exist when i did mine. i guess i have some catching up to do.

RonM: the attached pic is my "Rat Rod" bike project. i have a set of old white wall tires and some crusty hand grips for it....perfect!!! that bike is from the '30s.

PMK: i want to get it running so i can a starting point for the rebuild. it's not registered so there won't be any cruising anytime soon.
this will probably be at least a 12month project.

once i fire it up i'll start a build thread. i'm think i'll install the SSS SU sidedrafts, it will add a little bling to the old school set-up.

thanking everyone for your support. lots of questions to follow.... like i said i've been out of the game way too long.
Attachments
rat rod bike.jpg
rat rod bike.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Some stuff is covered here:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12575

Lots of other stuff has already been covered on The Realm in various threads.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Now that's a legitimate rat rod. I'll bet one of the best parts of living in a desert climate must be finding gems like that. Nicely done :wink:

I know how you feel when discoveringt all the new advancements that have been added to the 510 bag of tricks. I had built a 510 in the 80s, so yah, I felt the same way when I started a new 510 project last year. After thirty years away from the Dime community I felt like fresh fish when I started pocking around. I tell you though, your in for some real nice surprises once you start researching. Lots of amazing stuff. In a short while you'll be up to speed here, and your only trouble will be knowing when to stop upgrading. Looking forward to seeing your thread.

BE good,

Ron M.

P.S.

Don't tell me you found that bike in Wisconsin. :mrgreen: