Feature request

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
HudsonMC

Feature request

Post by HudsonMC »

A "mark forums read" button on the "view unread posts" page? Is this possible?
HudsonMC

Re: Feature request

Post by HudsonMC »

No one else wants this feature? Otherwise, you have to click each thread to mark them read...
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I click the "View new posts" link all the time, except when looking in the Introductions forum (since Intro posts get approved at a later time and don't always show up as new posts due to the time difference).

Once The Realm went with the sub-forum layout, it was the way for me to keep track without visiting every forum individually.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Hi Hudson, I think this functionality might already exist. On the bottom of the main (index) page, there is a "Mark forums read" link. Click that and it should do what you're looking for!

index.php?hash=01081f69&mark=forums

Cheers
Spencer
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

okayfine wrote:I click the "View new posts" link all the time, except when looking in the Introductions forum (since Intro posts get approved at a later time and don't always show up as new posts due to the time difference).

Once The Realm went with the sub-forum layout, it was the way for me to keep track without visiting every forum individually.
Yeah, I use the view unread posts link, and then open up new tabs with the links I want to read.
5teN wrote:Hi Hudson, I think this functionality might already exist. On the bottom of the main (index) page, there is a "Mark forums read" link. Click that and it should do what you're looking for!

index.php?hash=01081f69&mark=forums

Cheers
Spencer
I saw that link but still kinda preferred one on the new or unread pages instead for the sake of ceonvenience. I think it makes more sense there. Apparently, the hash tag present in the "mark forums read" hyperlink prevents it from being bookmarked, as the hash tag changes depending on what forums are unread. Here is a bookmarklet which generates the proper URL to mark all forums read from wherever you are. This might be helpful for others who browse the forums in the same manner I do:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){var%20mrq=new%20XMLHttpRequest();mrq.open("GET","http://the510realm.com",true);mrq.onreadystatechange=function(){var%20lnk;if(lnk=mrq.responseText.match(/<a.*?href="([^"]+)".*?>Mark%20forums%20read<\/a>/)){location.href=lnk[1].replace(/&/,'&');};};mrq.send(null);})();
Bookmark and then click away. I found the above script on a phpBB website, and just changed the forum URL to ours. Seems to be working for me.
muck
Supporter

Post by muck »

Just read every new post and you don't even need that button. :mrgreen:
'67 1600 Roadster
'68 4-door 510