Rheis' 72 4door

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Rheis' 72 4door

Post by okayfine »

The center drain deal can be a rust issue if it's never cleaned out. Since quite a few 510 owners don't even know about it, the drain rarely gets maintained and cleaned out. 40 years later, it's clogged with debris.

Just trying to say it's unlikely you'll have to get in there again. Cover the innards with POR15 or the like, spot weld the cover back on. Every 10 years run a clothes hanger up from beneath. If you regularly park under shedding pine trees or similar, you can epoxy some screen underneath the cowl to keep stuff out.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

So I really should have posted how I fixed it, kinda dropped the ball. I repaired it over the may long weekend in 2012. So some pictures.

Cleaned the rust
photo 10.JPG
photo 10.JPG (58.46 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Rustmort and started to primer
photo 11.JPG
photo 11.JPG (54.79 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Primered
photo 12.JPG
photo 12.JPG (36.77 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

Primered and painted newly cut metal
photo 13.JPG
photo 13.JPG (50.69 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Painted and gooped firewall
photo 14.JPG
photo 14.JPG (55.59 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Clamped new cover and went to Whistler for the long weekend
photo 15.JPG
photo 15.JPG (62.77 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Quick shot of paint when I came back
photo 16.JPG
photo 16.JPG (52.55 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
DONE

I did it this way as per Tyson's recommendations, thanks again for the help Tyson.
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

Got my new dash center from Gilson Design .. Looks good
new dash center.JPG
new dash center.JPG (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Too bad it wont be going into the car anytime soon
Wiring mess.JPG
Wiring mess.JPG (49.7 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
I was fiddling around with mounting my oil cooler and it looks like it fits perfect in the cowl. If only I could gather the courage to pop some big holes for it
Oil Cooler Idea.JPG
Oil Cooler Idea.JPG (65.7 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
I also had my T3 turbo rebuild by West Coast Fuel Injection and ceramic coated by Kool Coat. However, when I went to get the exhaust manifold James made coated a year later, they wanted to charge me too much. They claimed its a flat rate for any fabricated manifold and wanted to charge me the header rate. I explained that is a turbo manifold and its short therefore should cost as much as a cast manifold due to size and surface area. At any rate he was quite rude and wouldn't even give me the time of day or look at it before deciding the cost. Therefore I decided to forget them and had Rocket Cermacoat do it. They charged me $100, way less than Kool Coat and it looks pretty good. Now only time will tell if one is inferior.
T3 Turbo Rebulit.JPG
T3 Turbo Rebulit.JPG (44.58 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Coated Exhaust Maifold.JPG
Coated Exhaust Maifold.JPG (58.28 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

I was cleaning up some of my bits and when I decided to take the distributor apart I stupidly broke the magnet :( :oops: . Anyways I didn't even realize there was one under there, but its okay as I found the part number and will be replacing it.
Broke Distributor Magnet.JPG
Broke Distributor Magnet.JPG (49.79 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
On another note I bought projectors from Dapper Lighting. Not a fan of the angel eye but the light output is amazing which is why I bought them. I will post pictures later of the output when its dark. They fit pretty good, just a bit snug on the 3 tabs that locate the lights rotation in the bucket. One thing I noticed is they are slightly rotated (if you were behind them sitting in the car) counterclockwise in the bucket. Now I have only installed the driver side and my buckets and what not are kind of banged up so maybe its my buckets. My other thought is it was purposely done to make the perfectly straight cut off rise up on the passenger side??? I'll figure it out. Also there are no clearance issues as far as I can see.
Projector Fitment 1.JPG
Projector Fitment 1.JPG (65.53 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Projector Fitment 2.JPG
Projector Fitment 2.JPG (53.19 KiB) Viewed 3898 times
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

As promised output pictures
Output 1.JPG
Output 1.JPG (55.05 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Output 2.JPG
Output 2.JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
I think its not bad for only one light. I noticed the beam shot down the side of the house too but the trees plants and crap are in the way.
Rheis

Post by Rheis »

That's odd I spent lots of time shrinking and rotating my pictures on my pc in paint, yet on my iphone and ipad they are all inverted or sideways. Checked on my dads laptop, perfectly fine, what's going on? I hate upside down photos, anyone know what has happened?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Rheis..STAY FOCUSED!

2010 Run Beyond Hope
Attachments
IMGP0323 (Large).JPG
IMGP0323 (Large).JPG (299.11 KiB) Viewed 3692 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer