Road Trips - What spares are really needed

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Byron510

Road Trips - What spares are really needed

Post by Byron510 »

The intension of this thread is to remind us all of the spares and parts we should be carrying with us to keep us going in the event of failures. We will add to this list the things we need to carry as a group when traveling.

1) An assortment of electrical connectors, necessary fuses for your car and a small amount of wire
2) A simple multimeter
3) Spare tire that actually fits your car! Remember lug nuts and spacers if necessary
4) A simple tool kit including a sockets, wrenches and screw drivers
5) Fan belt
6) Fuel pump?
7) water/oil?
8 ) test light
9)

Case in point;

This past weekend, a few of us took a road trip of a 4 hour drive, covering a distance of 375 kms (235 miles). The route traveled over two mountain passes, a good fun drive.
On the return trip, we got caught in a road closure, and needed to spend 5 hours in near freezing temperatures at the summit of one of those passes. Thankfully one Boy Scout in our group had matches, and we were able to light a fire in short order and stay warm. The rest of the group did have warm clothing, and there was plenty of water on hand. Most of this was a fluke as all members of this group (with one exception) were not actually prepared for the event we got caught in. There was no issue, we all did fine. But while standing around the little camp fire, we soon realized that we were not all prepared for the mechanical breakdowns that could happen in our old cars.

My failure this trip was an electrical issue. It was worked around by continuously swapping a battery from another car to keep mine going as the alternator had quit. Had I been equipped with a simple multimeter, I would have easily found the broken connection and we’d have been on our way. But I didn’t. And even thought I had the electrical connectors and a crimping tool with me, I could not diagnose the fault.

So a simple, small multimeter will be in the kit within the group.
Another item at the top of this list was road hazards creating a flat tire. Most of us have upgraded brakes, alter suspension and ride heights – the stock spare, if you were actually carrying it, would likely not work. So then what?
A quick query showed that a couple of cars that were traveling in the group were highly modified (aahmmm) did not have spare tires, but did carry a “Fix a flat in a can” remedy.
This might work in a pinch IF you didn’t get a large puncture, or you didn’t take out a side wall in say a pot hole. So, if you wrecked a tire, then what? Well, you’re pretty much screwed if you don’t have a spare.
So, what I learned today is that those “Fix a flat in a can” remedies are not so friendly to the wheel or tire (or your tire mechanic). My investigation took me to my local tire guy. He told me that most of these Inflation/repair cans are full of some really nasty stuff. The chemicals inside the can are meant to soften and literally melt the rubber to a certain extent, and then goop up the hole it finds. However, the contents of the can are so aggressive (possible corrosive in some form) that the chemicals will eat the paint right off the inside “barrel” of the rim. Furthermore, if any of the goop falls on the outside of the rim, some of the products will remove the clear coat and powder coating entirely, destroying the finish on the rim itself. I was told today that one of his customers had used one of these in a can products, brought him the wheel that same day for repair and already the entire painted surface inside the rim had been stripped of its coating! Something to think about. And remember the tires – that melting compound – don’t expect the tire itself to be the same again!

So, knowing this, I actually tried to mount that 200SX spare that I sometimes carry on longer trips. It’s a space saver spare, 135/70-16, measuring 23 ¾” tall. For a start, it’s from an 83 200SX… a car that is a full 29 years old! The wheel/tire was also a full ¾” taller than my 15” wheels/tires on the car. This means that if installed on the rear, I’d likely wear out my LSD in short order. So I mounted the spare on the front – no go. It won’t clear my calipers, period. So I’d need an 18mm (0.700”) spacer to help clear the calipers. – I didn’t have this either. Certainly I was carrying false confidence!

The tires shop said that they could not sell me a new tire (remember the 29 years old comment above!), I’d need to get a new wheel/tire combo, and good luck finding one with our bolt pattern – 4 on 4 ½” or offset. He recommended I do whatever it takes to get the rim mounted to the car and in working order, then scavenge the wreckers for a new space save spare tire that would fit the rim and be the height that I wanted – he’d be able to change the tire over for me.

So, as far as spare tires go, we have work to be done team.
Please add your thoughts in below, list what you think need to be in the KIT to get you out of the bush or at least back to civilization when necessary. Full repairs are always nice, but what is practical to carry? You can't carry everything, but what should you carry? List your thoughts.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
rnorrish

Re: Road Trips - What spares are really needed

Post by rnorrish »

Just a quick note while it's fresh... There are still newer card that use the same pattern. I'm thinking the Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Edition. The wheels and tires are ridiculously small for a newer car and could be a decent size for the 510s.

As for tools, I'll be adding a test light for sure. Damn rogue electrons!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

i would recommend one person have a jump start pack, and a 12v tire inflator. i also carry a tire plug kit
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Consider looking to other makes for spares. I carry a spare from a 2nd gen RX-7, it's 5x114.3, clears my large brakes, plus it's aluminum for extra cool points. The 2nd gen came in 4x114.3 as well, pictured below, which is very similar to mine.

I believe these are sought after by drag racers for use as front wheels, but you'll still find them in salvage yards.
Last edited by S15DET on 22 May 2012 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Another tool I carry is a small IR thermometer gun. I do a 30-second walk around to compare wheel hub temps during a gas stop, hoping to catch an overheating wheel bearing before it causes damage. It's also helpful for taking comparative under hood temps.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The tire/wheel issue is the real biggy for a bunch of us. Those with stock tires, or close, like Jason, Maurice are ok with their stock spare, correct?

I too was wondering about the height difference on our LSD;s diff's. Does Aron carry a spare, and how many are affected by no spare? I think most of us are now are 23" tall, which would be good from a standard point.

Me
Byron
James
Aron

I have my old Riken wheel(s), which should clear ALL our brake packages, are 15"....we should get together at the plant one day, and make sure, then I sure don't mind buying a cheap 23" tall tire, again height being an issue, to fit most of us modded guys.

depending on who comes, and has a functional spare tire well, we could maybe swap out the stocker, they could carry that...IF the 15" Riken zero offset will fit on their STOCK struts , etc. I have lots of spare spacers....

Some more things:

spare thermostat & gasket or two
heater hose bypass line
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

The only car I have with a modified front disk package is the black 'goon, I believe that I have a 15" wheel that works, but, I have to try it. The other ones, the stock 13" spare should work for now.

Fusible link?
Jumper Cables.
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Some gasket maker in a tube
I have a box of misc gaskets that gets put on the package tray, last year that box helped out the motor swap at Canby,with a t-cover kit and a rear main seal. It is just left over stuff from previous repairs
Munchies
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Your cigarette lighter will help start a fire in a pinch.

A wire coat hanger or some bailing wire.

A roll of duct tape and electrical tape and some zip ties.

A flashlight is a good idea.

Jumper Cables.

A cell phone and a AAA card top the list too.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
iceD

Post by iceD »

In line fuel filter

ice D
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

maybe spare lightbulbs?
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Gun...I will bring a gun...and a grate......That way I can bag something and I can throw it on the grill! Lots of deer on most of our routes.

We did have flashlights, I always carry a good LED light. I carry one of those EVERYWHERE.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
iceD

Post by iceD »

Lots of AA batteries, for those battery eating LED flashlights, and BBQ sauce for the Venison.

ice D
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

My 12V electric kettle, instant cup of noodle and soup, instant tea and coffee!
Jason
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Grey Poupon