Zombie 510 Experiment

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Zombie 510 Resurrection

Post by okayfine »

In the meantime, have you gone to The 510 Archives and downloaded factory FSMs or, probably more interestingly, the old UFO and DQ backissues? DAYS of reading material and metric tons of information.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Any tips on cleaning an old Hitachi carb? I was planning on spraying it out with carb cleaner. Do you guys think I should disassemble it? I have the exploded view of the carb and i'll post photos later tonight. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas or preferences on type of carb cleaners, soak or spray etc..
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

okayfine wrote:In the meantime, have you gone to The 510 Archives and downloaded factory FSMs or, probably more interestingly, the old UFO and DQ backissues? DAYS of reading material and metric tons of information.

YES! VERY VERY VERY cool. Shared the link with a couple of friends as well. Thanks for posting all of that (i believe you posted them). :D
James

Post by James »

djfootball wrote:Any tips on cleaning an old Hitachi carb? I was planning on spraying it out with carb cleaner. Do you guys think I should disassemble it? I have the exploded view of the carb and i'll post photos later tonight. I was wondering if you guys have any ideas or preferences on type of carb cleaners, soak or spray etc..

If you are taking it apart (recommended), Get your hands on a rebuild kit. It will get you new accel pump, gaskets etc - which is what typically goes bad with age. Its not that hard to do - and you will know one more thing about your car!
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

In the age of digital cameras and laptops/tablets, it's even easier. Take pictures as you go and you'll know where everything goes.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Holy crap they're so cheap I don't see why I wouldn't.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

And documenting the procedure will help us help you through any problems you may have along the way. Always a good idea.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Blueridge set me up with a couple of good books to read.

Here's a photo of my Carb as it sits right now. Planning on doing a rebuild kit as I clean it up.

Here's a photo of about a 4"x4" section of my trunk after sanding it down. Thinking about brushing or blasting and filling with epoxy primer. Still working on getting my blaster working.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Primer isn't going to fill that. If you want a smooth trunk (is that the trunk lid or inside the trunk space?), you're going to need to fill the depressions with Bondo. Then primer, then paint.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

That's the top. Just realized that it would have probably helped to show some sort of size reference.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

One material that you might use on that rust pocked trunk is U-Pol Gravitex. A friend that was the head of Porsche's factory body shop when they were stationed here in Reno turned me on to this stuff. It's the same stuff that they used on the rockers and the chin spoiler. Tuff as hell and has a pebbly texture which covers those rust pocks really well andcan be topcoated. I used it on the inside of the FJ 40 tub to hide some rust pocks, came out very nice. Here's a picture with it applied;

And here is a pic with the top coat of color;
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Wizard, thanks for the U-Pol Gravitex suggestion!
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Drilled out my front air dam because it was so rusted and beyond repair and guess what?! More rust underneath~!

It seems as if the original driver of this car tried to fix a crash/rust issue with some bondo. Either that, or they repaired the area and it rusted afterwards. Either way it's in need of some repair even as a ratty rotsen driver. Looks like we're going to have to cut away the entire radiator support brace and then 90 Degrees back where it attaches to the main frame. The steering linkage support point that intersects doesn't' look too bad. I'm sure it only get's worse from here. I'm glad I found a better shell, I'm learning a lot from this one and since it's not my MAIN shell, I'm not afraid to cut it up.

djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Hey moderator, is there anyway you can change the name of my thread to Zombie 510 experiment?
kayakdude07

Post by kayakdude07 »

I'm not a mod but...

Edit your first post and change the subject at the top. It will change the topic name.
Jordan || '72 2 door KA project || '72 2 door goon project- Flintstones powered (dad's)