Finn's KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
finn
Supporter

Finn's KA24DET

Post by finn »

i've been aquiring pieces of this build for a little while now. i have a couple questions brewing so i figured its time to start a thread.

i'm using a older model turbonetics T3. no internal wastegate. i rebuilt it a short while ago, shaft play doesn't seem to excessive even dry of oil. there's no marks from blades striking the housing. the wastegate is a kospeed 8 psi 38mm. mitsubishi BOV. i picked up a N62 Maf out of a infinity today from a pull a part place as well as 370cc injectors from a SR20. it was a Pain in the Ass to get those injectors out of the fuel rail in one pieces. i had to use the two screws as leverage method. i was going to send them off to get a flow check but i think i'm going to clean them myself and see how they perform in the car now. i plan on using a side mount intercooler. the ECU is being tuned right now at R.S. Enthalpy. its a S13 ecu so i'm going to have to swap a few sensors and the complete harness. its going to be a pain because wrench-pro did a wire tuck for me when they did my swap. Martin is wiring in the consult port so i'm excited about that. i plan on using KA-t.org and 240sx for help through this but i'm going to document it primarily on here.

my first question is since im using the SR fuel injectors, should i use the SR fuel regulator?
Attachments
turbobuild3.jpg
turbobuild3.jpg (111.59 KiB) Viewed 9946 times
turbobuild2.jpg
turbobuild2.jpg (214.71 KiB) Viewed 9946 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
finn
Supporter

Re: Finn's KA24DET

Post by finn »

turbo
Attachments
turbo3.jpg
turbo3.jpg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 9945 times
turbobuild.jpg
turbobuild.jpg (182.92 KiB) Viewed 9945 times
turbo2.jpg
turbo2.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 9945 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

super 60?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Turbonetics T3 .58 a/r .60. quite possibly but i don't know and their website doesn't have much for older models.
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Almost ready for install. Got the ecu but waiting on the adapter. Oil sandwich adapter, boost gauge, oil press. Gauge, and the manifold all came in. The manilfold looks pretty sturdy but I'm going to brace it regardless. The turbo alone weighs more. The wastegates will have to move. I got some nice thick flanges with it so I'm going to just weld a elbow facing down. I'm going to have to do some work on this manifold as well. The exhaust ports fail in comparison to the head.
Attachments
IMAG0644.jpg
IMAG0644.jpg (124.31 KiB) Viewed 9821 times
IMAG0646.jpg
IMAG0646.jpg (175.1 KiB) Viewed 9821 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

the oil kit looks interesting. the temp and press. mount right to it, but i heard they can have leaking issues. also, it derives its flow of fluid from the pressure feed so the oil is unfiltered, so i'll have to install a inline filter to preserve to journal bearings. the wideband was a must. the best part is that it has datalog so i can consistenly improve its tune.
Attachments
wideband.jpg
wideband.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
oilkit.jpg
oilkit.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 9807 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Big turbo! Or small manifold.

I used to be a proponent of datalogging. But if you don't have rpm and TPS inputs along with the WBO2 readout, it isn't as helpful. Rolling around town with you eye on the non-datalogging gauge also has its problems, of course, but it works well enough if you aren't as connected.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

the A/F will pretty much stand as a diagnostic tool or an "idiot light" until i get a piggy back or something similar in place. the manifold is rather small but i'm going to use the power steering mounts on the block to hold a support bracket that will hopefully prevent it from cracking. it'll double as a mount for the heatshield for the brake booster.
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Busy day...
Attachments
IMAG0649.jpg
IMAG0649.jpg (200.95 KiB) Viewed 9700 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

the TC bushings were in dire need of replacement but the ball joints and tie rod ends were actually pretty good. which is well enough seeing that rockauto sent me a standard thread rod end for the drivers side instead of reverse thread :evil: the adjustable LCAs were built by Adam. i set left it at 1 degree caster 1/16 toe in. the front end stays glued to the road(rounded to the ground! :lol: unlike before, lots of drifting(not the fun kind). i didn't take any pics of the completed produce, sorry. i'll add them at a later date. i did however get the adapter for the ecu. my tuned ecu is for an S13, my KA is an S14. some folks wire these themselves, others pay. i got it from RS Enthapy because Martin is one nice fella. i'm going to keep praises low until its all hooked up and running, not that i don't trust them, just don't want to jinx it.
Attachments
ecuadapter.jpg
ecuadapter.jpg (162.64 KiB) Viewed 9670 times
tc bushing.jpg
tc bushing.jpg (148.29 KiB) Viewed 9670 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Just finished a trip to san Diego with the new LCAs. The drive wasn't too bad despite the loud exhaust and stiff suspension. Car handled great. $40 in gas for 380 miles isn't too bad either.... I got a couple early Xmas gifts from the mail while I was gone. The side mount Intercooler is from a '99 VW. That's not its final destination but I was going for that area. The boost controller and 2.5" tubing came in too. I'll need a couple reducers for the smic and compressor but all looks great. I want to get going on this but I promised my wife I'd have the M38 jeep put together and sold first so I need to get cracking on that.
Attachments
IMAG0655.jpg
IMAG0655.jpg (144.05 KiB) Viewed 9590 times
IMAG0654.jpg
IMAG0654.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 9590 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
Octave

Post by Octave »

awesome project. are the injectors already in the running turbo motor??? The reason I ask is cause they look like red 259cc injectores out of a NA sr20de (which is the same for many NA nissan motors example ka24de and vg30de) not the 370cc injectors from a sr20det which tend to be purpleish grey. I'd hate for you to run lean and hurt the motor. Alas I could be wrong but it wouldnt hurt to check.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Your handle sounds awfully familiar... But I haven't read your intro yet. My stock injectors are maroon 270cc from my understanding. The red top are 370cc. Purple were 500cc. I could be wrong as well and will look into this. I haven't installed them yet but plan to this weekend. I have new o rings on the way but wouldn't hurt to just keep them as back ups if I don't detect a leak
'69 2dr KA24DET
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

finn wrote:...side mount Intercooler is from a '99 VW...
What are the dimensions of that cooler (LxWxH)- and what model 99 VW? The core looks about the right size for my project as well.

Thanks in advance.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

'99 Passat. i measured the core itself but you can see in the photos that the inlet/outlet extend about two inches outward.
Attachments
intercoolersize3.jpg
intercoolersize3.jpg (81.92 KiB) Viewed 9503 times
intercoolersize2.jpg
intercoolersize2.jpg (184.37 KiB) Viewed 9503 times
intercoolersize.jpg
intercoolersize.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 9503 times
'69 2dr KA24DET