Jack-o'-lantern 510 Wagon

View and post your 510 project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Jack-o'-lantern 510 Wagon

Post by okayfine »

Wagon owners have put the battery in the rear. Again, DQ 9.1 has an article about it.

Given the positions available for the rear battery placement in a wagon, I'd suggest something other than a lead-acid battery, since future acid-boiling-over issues will have more impact on the sheetmetal.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

djfootball

Post by djfootball »

I lowered the rear end of the wagon with 3" lowering blocks and i like the stance so far. I was supposed to get some 15x7 20 offset Rota RB's but the deal fell through. This has led me to start looking for a different option with wheels and it looks like I'm going to have to buy new. I was looking at the Rota RKR's and I'm hoping to be able to fit a set of 15x8's in the back and 15x7's in the front. I'd like to have a staggered offset with some camber in the rear and front. I have no idea what offsets will fit my wagon so the wheels will come off and hopefully with the help of blueridgespeed and some measuring tools we can come up with some good numbers so that I can go ahead and order my wheels. I like the look of the RKR's a lot and i'm thinking HYPER BLACK WITH POLISH LIP. If any of you guys have any experience with these wheels the offset numbers needed to fit a 72 510 wagon please advise.

As far as the engine bay goes, I'm currently waiting for a nice day to trailer up the wagon and take it up to blueridgespeed's paint booth for a fresh epoxy prime and top coat. Hopefully I'll have some good progress photos soon.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

3" drop may present you issues with the diff hitting under load. Not generally possible have camber in the back. It is possible to have the axle bent slightly and still have the axles work. Old muscle-car tricks, but I've never seen it done to a WPL510.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Yes. Differential is hitting the floor board. I plan on cutting out and "tunneling" the rear diff along with the battery box mod that you referenced in the DQ issue. Thanks for the input. Have you heard anyone putting Rota RKR's on a wagon? I have not seen anyone do it yet. Just wondering offset measurements. I plan on buying a meter stick today and measuring them up.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You generally don't see as wild offsets used on the rear of a wagon. You can notch a 510 IRS arm. You can't notch the leaf springs. Should be a relatively straight-forward measurement from the face of the drum back to the outside edge of the leaf. That (or to the shock body) is what you have to play with, fenderwells not withstanding, nothing more.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

Thanks. . If you had any choice in wheels on a WPL510 what would you pick?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

djfootball wrote:If you had any choice in wheels on a WPL510 what would you pick?
That's not fair! :lol:

Even paint color is less personal than wheel choice. Wheel choice, to me, would also depend on your overall concept for the car. Wheels for a mad turbo build would, to me, be different than wheels for a stock-based build.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

I hear ya. This wagon will be stock L16 for sure. I like the look of the RKR's.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Wanatabe copy. I had Wats on my KA510:

djfootball

Post by djfootball »

That's a beautiful car. Wats look good. I need to figure out how I can get these offsets on my wagon. I may need to stretch rear tires and roll fenders. I like the ultra stretched look on tires so that will be in my favor. Picking up a measuring stick today and I should have the numbers tonight.
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

So.. just brainstorming out loud a bit. I've done some measurements and it seems like a set of 15x7s with 0 offset will fit in the rear with the right tire choice and a little fender rolling. Iv'e seen some people put +20 offsets in the rear with no problems and I've seen some 0 offsets that have worked with a little finagling. The Rota RKR's are only available in 15x8 in this case and I want to do a staggered offset with 15x7s +0 in the rear and +20 in the front. Again, the RKR's are not available in this size with these offsets. I looked into maybe going with the Rota Grids in bronze or the Rota RB's in 15x7 +4 in the rear and +20 in the front these sizes are all available.

I also looked into the Konig Rewinds which look like great watanabe clones (to me) but they don't offer a +20 matching front set to go along with the 15x7 0 offset rears.

In reality the RKR's is the look I want. The RBs are just missing a "lip" (in my mind and look a little "plain" to me). The RBx's are nice as well but I think they just don't offer the sizes I want.

Any thoughts on going with totally different style wheels up front? Maybe even a different color?

Am I totally wrong with the availability on these size wheels?
djfootball

Post by djfootball »

OH and the lug pattern is 4x114.3. Will 4x100's work in my case?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

djfootball wrote:Any thoughts on going with totally different style wheels up front? Maybe even a different color?
Again, that's personal. I'd perish the thought, but others rock different wheels on their cars.

You may want to check out Byron's Bronze thread, and some of the 15x8 threads in the Suspension forum.

4x114.3 is the 510 bolt pattern. 4x100 won't bolt up, obviously.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:You may want to check out Byron's Bronze thread, and some of the 15x8 threads in the Suspension forum.
ca20.jpg
ca20.jpg (219.52 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
Dave Patten wrote:For reference Byron's 510 has 15x7 +0 VTO Retro 4 wheels with 205/50-15 Yokohama S-Drive tires front and rear.