Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
jason
Supporter

Re: Suspension Setups

Post by jason »

Byron, I'll bet old blue still has the OEM dampers in his stock '68 struts. Why not pull one and look as it's simple and effective to re oil them. I can help with that one as I've done a couple of sets now ...
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jason wrote:Byron, I'll bet old blue still has the OEM dampers in his stock '68 struts. Why not pull one and look as it's simple and effective to re oil them. I can help with that one as I've done a couple of sets now ...
I'll bet it does have the original struts - no doubt in my mind that it will. But I think the gas inserts and shocks will really help the driving aspect... which is pretty laughable when you consider Ole Blue sports 155R13 Firestones :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I think new shocks would really help. I'll compare Mike's insert extension height to the stock ones; make sure I'm not preloading the hell out of the spring. If this doesn't work, I may take you up on the offer. My concern is replacing the seals with the proper ones so that no leakage happens and I'm back to square one.
We'll talk soon Jason.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

No problem there Byron, the heavier fork oil seems to work well with the slightly heavier "Euro" spring. Where the re oiling fails is when you try to use the 200lb Specialty springs, they just can't handle the rebound/compression very well with big bumps or high speeds ... Good luck!
Jason
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

is there anyone use'n illumina 5 way adjustables on the rear of thier dimes? if so
what car are they for and a part number would be kool. :mrgreen: i looked through all 20 pages and found a maybe for this part # bz 3613.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

So I am buying a '71 510. If i'm understanding the thread correctly. The "norm" suspension upgrades are 280zx struts and discs with some type of aftermarket coil over spring? I want to get this right for my future car. It will be used as a daily driver/street racer.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There is no norm, but there are lots of accepted practices. Brake upgrades do involve the intended use, as you've stated, but also things like engine upgrade/power output. Stock brakes are more than fine for a lighter 510 with the stock engine. Not so much for a KA.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

Ok, so what model year of a 280zx do I get my parts from? I eventually want to put a sr20det motor in the car so I need the suspension and brake system that will work with that set up.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The ZX brake upgrade is the most documented mod for 510s. There are umpteen threads on ZX brake upgrades here. There's also the DQ:

DQ Volume 2 Issue 4 - 280ZX brakes stop your 510 on a dime - So you've made your car fast, but can it stop? How does four-wheel disc brakes sound? We'll show you how to swap the brakes from a 280ZX into your 510.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jee66

Post by jee66 »

If it wasnt a wagon and that i might need to rearend lower i would have the front lower thus it would not be such a haul. i am hopeing to undertake out thusme 10" springs so I move the perch down alittle and find obviate a number of the preload.
----------------------------
2013 MERCEDES BENZ SL-CLASS
amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker »

Front:
Shortened 510 struts
Tokico Illumina BZ3015 inserts, T3 upper spring hat using the stock upper mount
175 lb 8" springs w/coilover hardware
Modded control arm: threaded insert, spherical rod-end, Futofab spacers
EE T/C Bushing kit and Idler Arm kit
Fresh rubber bushing on the stock swaybar and back of the T/C rod

Rear
Eibach 400lb, 18" tall, 3" id spring split in half for either side
Worn stock rubber isolator and 3/4 plywood spacer, but still too low
KYB GR2 Camaro rear shocks, #343211

I like this set-up a lot, a huge change from a very worn stock suspension with only lowering springs on the front and cut rear springs. I need to raise the rear more so my camber/toe isn't as terrible and I'm probably going to fiddle with a larger front swaybar, but canyon runs and autocross events are fun. Even with some old, worn Falken Ziex 512 (195/60/14 on 14x6 Watanabes), it handles predictably as long as you're not trying to rotate the car too quickly in an autocross type scenario.

Adam
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

Is there a difference between the designs of 280zx struts for the '79-'81 and '82-'83 model years? And whether they came off a turbocharged or naturally aspirated 280zx? I may have found a source to get some struts from, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right struts for my '73 510.
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

DDatsunTwins wrote:Is there a difference between the designs of 280zx struts for the '79-'81 and '82-'83 model years? And whether they came off a turbocharged or naturally aspirated 280zx? I may have found a source to get some struts from, but I want to make sure I'm getting the right struts for my '73 510.
All 280ZX struts will be the same dimensionally. There were differences in stock valving, spring rates ect. But the physical strut tube and spindle itself is the same for all years and through two different manufacturers/suppliers to Nissan.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

I haven't really seen anyone mention having tried to stuff 300zx struts into their 510. I understand that the 200sx/280zx struts are some of the easier and more common modifications to perform, but is it possible to shove 300zx struts and brakes in a 510? What sort of issues would one run into, if they were to try to do this?
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

You can use z31 hubs and z31 or z32 or r32 or z33 brakes on s12 v6 struts (not s12 4 cyl) but no others will be bolt on. Z31 hubs bolt onto 280zx struts as well but there are no factory brakes that bolt on that I know of.

FWIW I'm running shortened s12 v6 struts with late z31T 5 lug hubs and z32TT rotors and z32TT 30mm aluminum calipers (4mm spacer on caliper ears).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by JordanTr on 02 Nov 2018 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The Z31 front brakes can be used on ZX struts, as mentioned by Jordan, but as also mentioned you're left with finding (errrr, making) a caliper solution. That said, you're also going to dramatically change the track at the front with Z31 hubs, so your wheel solution will change from what you would run with stock ZX parts.

DQ Volume 5 Issue 3 - Bigger Brakes, Wider Track - The 280ZX front brake upgrade is a great way to improve your 510’s stopping. A drawback is the loss of front track width, which can cause wheel to strut tube interference and necessitate the use of spacers and longer studs. We’ll show you how to improve on this set-up further and restore the front track width to almost stock.

There is such a thing as too much brake. Depending on the goals for your car, Z31 rotors might be brakes too far.