Derek's EFI-L18 4 Door MEGATHREAD

Only the most active and interesting projects from our members. Projects must be approved to be in this forum
Derek

Re: Derek's EFI-L18 4 Door MEGATHREAD

Post by Derek »

Hmm.. I went a did a bit more testing, and when it really slows down, the battery voltage is dipping into the 7V range and it's only pulling 200A. Maybe I got a crap (new) battery? It is a tiny PC545, but I've been running these for years with no issues.
qship510

Post by qship510 »

7 VDC at 200A sounds like a bad battery, yes.

As a side note on those starters, that starter is extremely common in Toyota forklifts since about 1990 and is definitely a great starter. At $200 they are cheap; the same starter for a forklift is $430. In forklifts they are good for 4-5 years, with an average of 40 starts per day.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Did some more poking around and disconnected my Odyssey battery and tried to start it from my GTI full-sized known to be good battery, and even then it chugged over slowly drawing and unknown but large amount of current (it pulled the big battery voltage down to 7V). It has to be the starter. So I just faxed (!) in my order for a TS Imported gear reduction unit.

I'm focusing on getting my car running consistently as I just bought a surfboard (I feel like a real Californian now) and plan on using my 510 as my surf car. I was considering building a custom rack like Duke did, but have since gotten lazy and found some used Yakima towers that I'm going to run with maple hardwood bars. It'll be nice for my car to have a purpose aside from a thrice yearly track toy. It also happens that the roads out near the coast are pretty awesome. I will definitely be testing the lateral holding abilities of my tie downs...
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Derek wrote:. So I just faxed (!) in my order for a TS Imported gear reduction unit.
Pricey yes, but you WON'T be disappointed, I have them on both my 510's.
Derek

Post by Derek »

At $200 it is cheaper than an OEM unit! And I'm not doing re-manned anymore for this car...
Derek

Post by Derek »

The starter showed up yesterday, apparently drop shipped from a place in California, hence its speed arrival. I installed it, which required finding some longer M10 bolts, as the flange is thicker than stock. All I had was some leftovers from my 944 which have a 16mm head -- weird Euro stuff. Once installed, YES the car fires up like nobody's business. Looks great, works great!

I also took the opportunity to install my BRAND NEW (and hopefully last) Saturn alternator with the larger POWERMASTER pulley I grabbed from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-182 It managed to work with the same belt I was running before, but the tensioner needed to be swapped for a shorter turnbuckle. I also put in the VDO voltage gauge I bought to replace my non-functional Oil Temp gauge (I never got it in actually flow path). The new alt works great, but doesn't do the full 14V+ at idle -- although the CHARGE idiot light doesn't light up. No big deal, I don't idle a lot.

Next up was putting together my surf racks.

GOLD -- now I know what you're thinking -- putting gold bars on your roof seems like a terrible idea from a center of gravity stand point. Well don't worry -- it's only paint (left overs from doing my wheels). The bars are 1.125" maple from McMaster (@$6 each VS $35+ for Yakima bars). Inspired by the sewing going on in Goichi's thread I whipped up some covers for some cheap pipe foam ($3) out of an old snowboard bag. Beats $25 for Dakine pads -- plus no logos = a clean look. DIY or die!

So about $75 into the racks. Not bad! They look kind of cool too.

Good to go!
Derek

Post by Derek »

Successful test run of the new surf car this morning before work down at Lindamar in Pacifica (20 minutes from my place in SF). I am terrible at surfing -- and it was REALLY cold (low 40s?), but the car looked good, it started and charged (at idle even), and the boards didn't fly off.

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Car looks great with the boards on top. You are a brave soul to be out in the water!
looking for pass. side arm rest
speeder

Post by speeder »

Maple crossbars? I like it! They actually look like the anodized ones Yakima sold for a while with your paint job.

I like surfing out of my 510. It makes getting there fun.

BIG waves this weekend up and down the continental west coast. Mavericks contest may be a go.
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster
James

Post by James »

I love surfing out of the 510 (so does my dog).
Looking forward to the swell myself.......
You went over the top with covering the $1.49 pipe foam - just wrap it with a a few loops of electrical tape!!!!
013.jpg
013.jpg (15.7 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
Finished is better than perfect......
indy510

Post by indy510 »

I swear I saw this car stuck in traffic on Hwy 1 tonight, right after sunset ... . It had a surfboard in a board-bag though .... . did you see me?? ... :lol:
Derek

Post by Derek »

Probably me! I was coming back from Bolinas around that time w two boards, no bags though. I heard a group of 510s had driven through the area that day too.
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Yeah it had to be you .... :lol: ...... I was driving by the thousand cars you were stuck behind and in front of ..... or else I would have turned around

I saw nice headlights as I drove by,, and then looked in my rear view mirror to see a nice white 510 with no licensce plate lights ... I was in a white'ish 2dr 510 going up Hwy 1 out of Mill Valley

It would have been cooler to see you on the road when I had 7 510's behind me though ... :cool: .... we must have been within 10 miles of you a couple times:

S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Could have stained and rounded the ends of the maple dowels for a different look. Nice on the starter/alternator.
Derek

Post by Derek »

M-m-m-mega update!

I did an event in April this year at Laguna, not much to say about it really. I originally signed up with the intention of taking my GTI to run thru a set of used NT-01s I got (bought them for the wheels that they were on), but then I chickened out at the last minute as I didn't want to destroy its brakes -- a common malady of fatty fat fat modern cars with brake actuated stabilization nannies and brake assisted "e"LSDs, made even worse with R compound tires. My wife pointed out maybe I should take my race car to the race track -- sound advice. So I bolted up the Laguna 92dB Exhaust and trucked down there.

As per usual, Laguna was a bit of a snore in my car, struggling to accelerate up the hill to the 'screw sucks. I still caught and passed some people, and had a good time, and there were no mechanical issues. I took some gopro footage, but nothing of much interest. According to the time stamps on gotbluemilk.com I was turning 1:57s -- my previous best was a 1:55 on V710s, so 2 seconds off on street tires is not too bad. None of the pics were stunning enough to make me buy them. That grey GTR behind me ended up wrecking, as did a pair of S2000s. If Laguna is good for something, it's for bringing people out of the woodwork who don't know their limits.

A while later while working on my EDIS conversion (not much to report on that yet) I was digging through my folder of 510 documentation and came across my old dyno plots (from 2008) that has pulls with and without the Laguna exhaust on the car. At peak HP the max HP loss is around 5hp, but the real issue is that the shape of the HP curve drops off super fast right after peak HP is made, and it's down 20 whole HP @ 6800 RPM. No wonder it feels brutally underpowered on this track! I think I am done with Laguna now -- and they're tightening up the noise regs to 90 dB for next year too.

I was planning on running t-hill reverse as I do every year (jumping!), but had to miss as I was camping and hiking Half Dome with my wife in Yosemite. That trip (which had to be planned 6 months in advance) also caused me to miss a 24h of Lemons race. My brother ended up flying out from Toronto and subbing in for me (his third race with the team). While driving back to SF, I had the live timing app up on my phone and was tracking the progress of the race and we were on track to finish 12th out of 180 or so cars -- out best ever! Then tragedy, the second to last corner on the last lap some moron attempt a hero move and knock our CRX into the wall. The car was totaled. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W-ZS8D62Vo Even though it was a Honda, it was a pretty good little car, and it ran strong for nine 16-ish hour races. The accident also reduced us to 13th, which ties our previous best Lemons finish.

Youch

No more crumple zone

Me driving it in much better days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImTLrBtyUw

Right before the first race in its final theme:

Yep, it's an 89 CRX Si disguised as Andy Warhol's BMW M1 art car. (It first raced back in 2010 as a replica Back the Future Delorean)

While my Lemons team regroups and figures out what to do now, it is time to get some seat time again in the 510.

To start that off, here's a random photo of my car and my friend's El Camino at Ocean Beach.

This past weekend I ran it around with some friends at a Hooked on Driving Day at Thunderhill. We ran the bypass which was new to me and I have decided I prefer to the Cyclone, it makes things faster and fast blind crests are great fun. My friend Steve shot some onboard of him chasing/following me in his Elise where I got the car loose a couple of times through over driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1IOBY0RW_Y

The real action of the day was missed on camera, but the aftermath can be seen. Second lap of the first session in the D group a E92 M3 rolls after exiting turn 9 (skip to 4:00).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Qh9Xz8W04

From the gotbluemilk.com photo timestamps, I was turning 2:15 laps, which is the same as I ran in reverse last year.

The day ended on down note as my car picked up a horrendous rear end banging noise somewhere along the 505 that three stops with wheels off/car up on jack stands could not diagnose so I had my car towed the last 75 miles -- thanks AAA Gold!

This topic is in another thread though (http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26310) so that's enough about that here.