Finn's KA24DET

View and post your 510 project(s)
finn
Supporter

Re: Finn's KA24DET

Post by finn »

I just checked my injectors for leaks again. Still dry as a bone. I pulled my maf out to clean it and it dawned on me that when i took the screen off i could have removed the only thing keeping turbulent air from hitting the maf. The filter is only a few inches a way and made out of foam. I put it back in for now. Guess we'll see tomorrow if it helps
Attachments
1374889240764.jpg
1374889240764.jpg (163.76 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
20130726_183123.jpg
20130726_183123.jpg (184.6 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Tires make a tremendous difference on our 510's, or any car for that matter. Last year my Yoko 048's were worn and hard, so the rear was starting to feel less glued to the road at high speed. This year with the Toyo R888's, the stick limit is incredibly high, and I would have a tough time spinning the tires even in a launch.
Sidewall construction to me is where it is at, to try to maximize the "feel" in the chassis and steering. As my car was set up around GoodYear cantilever race tires, the Yokohama brand had the best sidewall in my opinion, in terms of replicating the feel of a true race tire. I am less than happy with the feel of the Toyo's, as they seem to have a very flexi sidewall, so I am sneaking up on tire pressure. For me, I would sacrifice some grip for better feel.

How the power gets put down through a tire also is a huge factor, which comes down to the compound of the tire. Getting the right balance unfortunately is expensive, as none of us can afford to buy multi sets of tires. That is why I stuck with Yoko's DOT race tire for all their generations, as it worked best on my car.

I always like a tire with a rounded sidewall shoulder, as they roll at a more progressive rate, should you exceed the tires cornering capability, at least the transition is smoother to the top of the sidewall.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Keith makes excellent points.

The latest generation of DOT auto-x tires are incredible. Almost as fast as a slick or R-compound track tire.
There are at least 4 new DOT auto-x tires that just hit TireRack this summer from BFG, Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Yoko.
Folks are raving about them.

$500 for a set of 4 205/50-15s will completely transform your car, and may out-do your current suspension set-up if you are not careful.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Does Yokohama have a new DOT race tire out?

The reason I did NOT go for the 048's was they only had old stock at the time at Tire Rack, and the stock in Vancouver was really old ( not much market here).

Also as Kurt said, a 205/50 x 15" on a 7" rim for most of our 280ZX type suspensions, is a really good combo.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

so its time to graduate to a larger rim then. I like the nastagic look of the 13'' but you guys are right. I saw some 280zx rims at the local pull a part place last time I was there. only $35 a rim... might have to go back
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

"I Might have to go back....!" Ha, that's like saying I don't need any more power...accept it...it's a sickness and you are going down that path...... :lol:

Keith Law
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

bertvorgon wrote:"I Might have to go back....!" Ha, that's like saying I don't need any more power...accept it...it's a sickness and you are going down that path...... :lol:
this man speaks the truth! I already put the minilites up for sale locally. i'll keep the libres though. see if I can't make some money before spending more.
Attachments
addiction.jpg
addiction.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

the verdict is!!!! cruise is roughly 14.5! WOT is 11-12! but idle went to --- if not 17-18 :? weird huh? no leaks were detected yesterday. I might have blown a vacuum line off when the boost spiked, didn't noticed it when I popped the hood but I didn't look long. i'm so thrilled its not pouring out fuel while cruising now. I don't smell like my exhaust either :P question is, was it the screen or the maf cleaning?...
'69 2dr KA24DET
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

bertvorgon wrote:Does Yokohama have a new DOT race tire out?

The reason I did NOT go for the 048's was they only had old stock at the time at Tire Rack, and the stock in Vancouver was really old ( not much market here).

Also as Kurt said, a 205/50 x 15" on a 7" rim for most of our 280ZX type suspensions, is a really good combo.
Nope, my mistake -- Sorry.

In 205/50-15:
Tire Rack is closing out the Yoko Neova AD08 (introduced fall 2008) for $125 each.
Yoko Advan 048s are still $223 each, and they are awaiting a fresh shipment.

NEW DOT Auto-x tires for 2013:
Dunlop Direzza ZII are new and $114 each.
Bridgestome RE-11As are new and $115 each.
BFG Rivals are new and are $117 each, but currently have a $50 rebate until midnight EDT today if you buy 4, so net price after rebate is $418 plus S&H -- the rebate basically makes S&H free).

And for reference:
Kumho Ecsta XS are $98 each.
Toyo R1Rs are $122 each.
Toyo R888s are $149 each.
Toyo RA1s are $160 each.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
finn
Supporter

Re: Finn's KA24DET **DYNO TESTED***

Post by finn »

I discovered a dyno shop this morning that was right under my nose. so I took her in to finally see what i'm making for power. first run was a conservative 0-100mph producing 214hp. the second run I had him go up to 5500rpm (keeping it conservative still) and it made 226hp. its roughly what I thought I was making, which means its all operating correctly. the A/F was still slightly rich at 10.5 but not bad. all and all i'm happy
Attachments
dyno.jpg
dyno.jpg (187.54 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
dynosheet.jpg
dynosheet.jpg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That's a great number! I made 250 on a bad day, so I know how crazy my car is to drive at times.
Nice job.

Keith Law
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

bertvorgon wrote:That's a great number! I made 250 on a bad day, so I know how crazy my car is to drive at times.
Nice job.
what, are you showing off! :wink: just kidding, thanks!! it felt like crossing the finish line at a race. I still have lots to meddling to do, though. here's some shoots of the dyno. I took a small vid of it but have never uploaded to youtube before so might be a bit. the shop gave me a cd with all the logged info on it as well so i can track the performance trends. pretty cool for $90
I removed all the paint off the grill and bezels yesterday. i think it looks a lot better this way.
Attachments
dyno3.jpg
dyno3.jpg (172.35 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
dyno2.jpg
dyno2.jpg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

fixing the removed headlight look now.
Attachments
screen2.jpg
screen2.jpg (141.83 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 4772 times
'69 2dr KA24DET
amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker »

I could have sworn I told you about Bottle Blown at some point...glad you found them. Nice numbers!

Per the tire spin problem, even my L16 spins the tires in autocross with too much camber and old/hard Falken Ziex 512. Maybe come by and we can check the rear alignment after work sometime next week. We can also format the video to work with youtube.

Adam
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Sounds like a plan. I'll shoot you a text next week
'69 2dr KA24DET