The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by Mattndew76 »

I noticed the Glacern vise. I have 3 of the 6" double lock vise units. Good products. Do you have any more of their tooling?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Mattndew76 wrote:I noticed the Glacern vise. I have 3 of the 6" double lock vise units. Good products. Do you have any more of their tooling?
Yes, I think that they have a good product, I think that it as good as a Kurt, in at least what i can measure. I have four of their drill chucks in a CAT 40 and a bunch of CAT40 ER32 chucks, although I like the Maritool chucks better, It is nice stuff. Have you used any of the Maritool ? I purchased the Glacern stuff when Sol worked there, he has started his own vice business from what I hear after some disagreement with Glacern.

Note: the Kurt accessories like the stops work on the Glacern just fine.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I have some BT40 stuff from Glacern but don't own any MariTool. I have a buddy that is all about MariTool. Kurt makes a great product but I think they overcharge because they have been the lead dog for too long.

Matt
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Re the spring / shock installation
I'm thinking lever actuated horizontal installation.

Should be child's play for you!

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Bike papa wrote:Re the spring / shock installation
I'm thinking lever actuated horizontal installation.

Should be child's play for you!

BP
That's what I was thinking too, maybe up in the sub frame, but can't be higher than the top of the frame because that sits on the bottom of the cargo bay. I am going have to brain storm on this.

Getting ready for the Indy car race in Sonoma, maybe I'll get some ideas.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Well, the bell crank/link system is out, just no room around the upper "A" arm. I was afraid that the upper frame would have to be modified when I started this from scratch built IRS. There is just so much stuff going on in a small area, that until I had the shocks, I didn't know what would have to change. I will probably make another upper frame that will incorporate all the changes to this original frame.
So I had to cut the end of the front rail off, to get clearance for the upper shock body. It had to move forward an inch. I took a piece of 1"x2" tubing to add to the front of the existing front rail, drilled a 1/2" hole at the top part for the upper shock mount. Note: that I did have to have the top of shock mounted .200" above the top rail, so that I can achieve 2.6" of shock travel for bump and that it misses that upper "A" arm and the CV axle thru the complete travel. The small amount of protrusion above the top rail, might just fit into the raised portion(ridges) of the cargo area floor. So overall I feel pretty good on the progress.

With the shock mounted to the new piece of tubing I can get 3 1/16" of bump travel.

[url=http://s249.photobucket.com/user/datsun ... 1.jpg.html]Image[/url

Next, I refine the upper shock mount and make some spacers for the lower mount. Then tack the new piece in place, then try the assy. in the mule and work on the front diff. mount.

More to come!
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Going solid shock machined mount or broke sheet?
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Mattndew76 wrote:Going solid shock machined mount or broke sheet?
I got some 19 mm OD, 12 mm ID tubing that I will bore out to 1/2", to make a spacer/mount. Drill out the upper rail to 19 mm, make the mount go all the way thru the upper rail and weld on both sides. I haven't decided if I should tap the upper mount or run the shock bolt all the way thru and use a nilock. I was also thinking about making an additional sheet mount that would come off the upper "A" arm tubing mount to put the shock in double sheer? What do you think ?
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Pretty solid. I like the double shear idea. Might as well use the added strength.

I'm very impressed and would love to employ your help when I set my sites on the new project.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Do you think I should just tap the upper mount or run the bolt all the way thru and use a nut?
Hey, am all about helping on interesting projects.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I would personally use a through bolt and a nut. Not only would it be easier to make, but you could also use a nyloc nut to help prevent the bolt loosening over time.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

duke wrote:I would personally use a through bolt and a nut. Not only would it be easier to make, but you could also use a nyloc nut to help prevent the bolt loosening over time.
That's what I was thinking.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

I am trying to keep this whole project metric if possible. The QA-1 shocks have an 1/2" rod ends, so I made some spacers out of stainless to size down to the 12 mm bolt size.

The spacer in postion;

Also while I was at the lathe, made the upper shock mounts and a couple of extras for a second upper cross member.
Last edited by 510wizard on 23 Sep 2013 08:01, edited 1 time in total.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Damn you machinist guys and all your tools!

Why did I take Wood Shop instead of Metal Shop?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 10.05.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-13 at 10.05.10 AM.png (363.28 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Seriously! That is awesome, I cant wait to see this beast when its all said and done. I want a VQ so bad, Im kinda tired of the turbo issues, NA would be nice for the simplicity.
looking for pass. side arm rest