Qr25de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: Qr25de swap

Post by thisismatt »

Dropoff510 wrote:Finally got some footage driving the datsun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgbxQDM ... ata_player
This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video.
I'm your huckleberry.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Can you repost the video? Your old link doesn't work.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

daveo

Post by daveo »

I love it dude!! I have a 510, b13 ser and a turbo spec v.... this build was awsome!!!!!
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

So just an update to my progress. The cars still running great. I've since gotten a r160 vlsd from a 2007 subaru wrx its a nice improvement over the stock open diff. So what i did was cut the tip off of the subaru half shafts and drilled and tapped it so it can be bolted to the end of the stock datsun half shaft, so what this does is allows me to just snap in my stock axles into the subaru diff. Granted its not the strongest but its been working for a while.... that is until i tried one more burnout :( and it sheared off End of the half shaft. So put in another set i had laying around, now im just taking it easy until i can get a stronger half shaft.

I've also installed front and rear sway bar. Front is the stock Datsun just had to make spacer blocks so that the sway bar mounts below the oil pan and swings under the tc rods. This allows it to clear the lower front sump qr25. The rear sway bar is from a 90s Nissan maxima. Not sure how it will handle on a race track but it defiantly feels much more stable now the rear end feels so much tighter very pleased with the sway bars.

Oh still need to put in the center head lights feels like its missing somthing without them.

So it's been pretty hot so I decided to get ac in my Datsun. So now I have ac:) being that I have all the wiring from the sentra it was just a mater of getting a compressor and condensor from a sentra, i already had the blower motor and the evaperator box, now its an icebox inside my 510. Also gave the Datsun a face lift still working on the finishing touches but I think it's looking pretty good. It's Matte gun metal grey. Im loving the color its like ive gotten a brand new car :D What do you guys think?
Attachments
This is the half shaft that sheared off
This is the half shaft that sheared off
image.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (308.96 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (260.13 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.15 KiB) Viewed 8497 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote:I've since gotten a r160 vlsd from a 2007 subaru wrx its a nice improvement over the stock open diff. So what i did was cut the tip off of the subaru half shafts
But you're getting no VLSD action with that setup. It's acting as an open diff. That's why the tip is there, that you cut off.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Are you thinking of the older vlsd that has alonger tip on one side? Because this subaru diff dosent have that, both half shafts are the same length. And it does still work as a vlsd. I've jacked up the back and done the wheel spin test, it's not an open diff.

Hopfully those pictures help you understand what's going on. I know it's different than other vlsd duffs that are out there but I assure you it does work.
Attachments
I think this is what your talking about. But my version of This vlsd doesn't require that extra spline part.
I think this is what your talking about. But my version of This vlsd doesn't require that extra spline part.
image.jpg (513.76 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
This is the stock half shaft that comes with the subaru.
This is the stock half shaft that comes with the subaru.
image.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
So this is the vlsd I have.
So this is the vlsd I have.
image.jpg (216.52 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
Last edited by Dropoff510 on 12 Sep 2013 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Then we obviously need more pictures and information.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Man I was wondering what happened to you car. That is awesome you are running AC in it also. Love the motor swap.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's very interesting. Do you know the year when Subaru started making them like that? And how did you get your stubs to bolt in?
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

im not sure of the year they started, but I've found that rock auto.com is a great resource for research like this cuz you can look up the part and they have a picture of almost all the parts, very helpful in doing my swap so far.

so the half shafts don't bolt in but instead what i did is in the picture below i cut off the tip of the Subaru shaft and drilled it in the center and tapped it, basically making it a nut that the stock half shafts bolt to then the stock Datsun half shafts are able to use the snap ring and click right into the diff. :) ive got a picture somewhere of it finished just got to find it , when i do ill post it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (308.96 KiB) Viewed 8435 times
evlevo

Post by evlevo »

Im glad i read to the end of this thread. Good to see someone persevere and complete something new.
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

So me and my brother made a custom badge on the cnc router at work today. :) it's a prototype see how it holds up.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (273.9 KiB) Viewed 8379 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (228.59 KiB) Viewed 8386 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (209.36 KiB) Viewed 8386 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I've got the 510 logo in vector art up at The 510 Archives. You could export as DXF and should be able to get it into a CNC package.
510.jpg
510.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
dzaster

Post by dzaster »

evlevo wrote:Im glad i read to the end of this thread. Good to see someone persevere and complete something new.
x2

Winner thread!