DQ 10.2 - Suggestions for New 510 Owners

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
vodka
Supporter

Re: DQ 10.2 - Suggestions for New 510 Owners

Post by vodka »

Most of the advice in okayfine's article was general wisdom that I have also personally learned, but applies to any car enthusiast/collector who plans to purchase a classic, used, or even new vehicle with the intention of spending a significant amount of time, and unfortunately, money. The datsun 510-specific tips and advice are news to me, and are much appreciated. Thank you, okayfine, for taking a part of your free time to write such a useful article for any car enthusiast lucky enough to come across it.
95 Brilliant Red Subaru Impreza L coupe (daily driver)
06 Aspen White Subaru Impreza WRX STi (weekend warrior/constant work in progress)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Adding the link to The 510 Archives, featuring all sorts of 510 reference material:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByCvxn ... Mjg3&hl=en
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Slick72

Post by Slick72 »

I'm looking to join the 510 owners club soon, i just wanted to say thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to look for all the reading material when i purchase my first 510.
datsun360

Post by datsun360 »

this is actually something good to read. i suggest everyone read this before posting
Buzzsawlouie

Post by Buzzsawlouie »

It was as good of a read today as it was when I first read it in the DQ.
Okay fine get that L20BT moving! :mrgreen:
Kelly
aka Buzzsawlouie
'70 510 2-dr KA24DE in process... Ex '71 510 Wagon Owner
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Updated to reflect the loss of datsun510.com links, the lingering death of the BB list, demise/transition of DQ.com, and consolidating various other articles.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Updated to include links to the DQ backissues and some minor edits. And to include Kelvin's color wiring diagram!!!
Aircooledblue

Post by Aircooledblue »

Well ive been looking at this 71 510 http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/3110814534.html

Any Input?
It's better to drive a slow car fast rather than a fast car slow
mslade

Post by mslade »

The article is wonderful, thank you. Though, boyfriends, husbands and anyone in between could also be added to the list of "understanding" for those involved :wink:
pocket510

Post by pocket510 »

totally love this article and completely agree. been there done that with my past 31 cars.
datsun68510

Post by datsun68510 »

took a browse of your info here. Nothing new to me, I'm on my 12th project atm and I am working on purchasing a 13th. The one thing that sticks in my mind the most out of your post (Original post) is you will want to keep all the old parts. I dont know how many times I said "I'm done with 510's I'm getting to old for this" selling all my parts that I sure wish I had now :( . Def. anyone new to 510's should give this thread a read.
farmerfloyd
Supporter

Post by farmerfloyd »

Yes, dont knock them Honda cars, make real good engine for that yellow 510
from Florida at the Summit Point meet last week. Sorry I went home early,
wish I could have gotten in a picture or two. Looked like some cars came Sat that I didnt see that morning. Had a real good time and met a bunch of great guys. Got car going good again will be looking for 3:54 rear end from 280 Z See ya yal next year. farmerfloyd
awd: jeff

Post by awd: jeff »

Thanks for this suggested article.
DDatsunTwins

Post by DDatsunTwins »

I'm brand new to this site, and decided to give this a read. I'm glad I did. It isn't very often that you come across a gem like this. Thanks, okayfine, for this contribution. I'll definitely be searching around for some of those listed manuals and such.
Andrew D. -- '73 PL510 with L20B, in the works. Engine out. Suspension undergoing refurbishing.

Project passed to my brother. In the works: Suspension upgrade, Engine replacement.
jwerty1

Post by jwerty1 »

To any and all newbs, yes be patient and learn to work on your own vehicle. Don't just jump right in and expect the world unless you have the money, then hell you wouldn't be on this site anyhow, your mechanic would be. I rebuilt my first motor out of a Haynes manual. Ever since then, if you can follow directions(from a service manual) and have a couple hand tools, some reasonable and deductive thinking, the sky is the limit on your car. I'm a master tech now(Nissan) and I work on my Datsun for fun.