The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

View and post your 510 project(s)
510wizard
Supporter

Re: The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by 510wizard »

How to make special nuts

The stock lower "A" arm coil over mounting bolt has threads that are where the coil over will be mounted, not good. So I am going to use a different bolt that has no threads in that mounting area. One problem is that the new bolt has a fine metric thread (1.25 thread pitch). The other problem is that the stock nut is special, its square to fit into a cavity in the "A" arm. So I will make two new nuts with the required fine thread and square.
Here is what the stock nut looks like;

Took a small piece of metal, sawed to the correct width. The metal is a little too thick, so to the mill it goes, to reduce the thickness to the correct height;

Layed out the size of one of the nuts, scribed the center, spot drilled, then drilled to the correct taping size (10.8 mm);

Tapped the hole using a spring loaded tapping guide to insure straightness;

Took the tapped piece of metal over to the bandsaw and cut off the first nut, repeated the operation all over again on the second nut.
If you notice, the original nut(s) have rounded corners. Could have used the CNC mill to round the corners, but with only two nuts to make, decided to use the lathe and do the job quick and dirty. Mounted a bolt in the lathe to use as a mandrel, screwed the two nuts on, jamming them against each other;

Rounded the corners;

A little file work on the corners and the finished nuts;

Installed in the lower "A" arm;

I hope that the above procedure wasn't too boring for the machinist types on the Realm, but maybe for the non metal heads, it shows how to do it. You might question, "Why doesn't this guy just go buy the nuts?" I couldn't find any stock square nuts DIN or ISO standard, that weren't coarse thread and if I did, they probably wouldn't come in less than a box of a 100.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I should have got you to make 4 more while you were at it - the ones in the Bronze have seen better days. This I realized while doing a recent cluck exchange.

So, I'll be in this same project stream soon myself...

Nice touch, but I do need to procure an M10X1.25 tap for the job to correctly match the stock fine thread fasteners.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Monty I am needing some high quality updates or images of your craftsmanship.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

Yeah Monte post up some more pics
Your stuff make my stuff look boring!!!
Hmmm maybe my stuff really is boring!

Show us the goods.

PS. Nice talking to you at SEMA

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Here is the latest that I have. Have been a little lazy on working on the SSE, been working on FJ and closed escrow yesterday on my new garage/workshop. The weather has been beautiful here, so been doing some more painting on the FJ. Hopefully I will have it together enough for the garage move.
Now on to the latest process and the pictures

Made the lower "A" arm shock spacers, these spacers will eventually be made from aluminum:

Made some brackets for the outer upper shock mounts, so they will be in double sheer as was suggested.
First made a poster board template that would miss the shock upper top hat and would wrap around the upper "A" arm mount member, then used a transfer punch to locate the upper shock mount bolt on the poster board;

Transfer the template to .100" metal, drilled the shock mount hole, cut out the rest of the bracket and test fit.

This is a picture from the side showing the bracket and a spacer that spaces the bracket away from the shock heim joint;
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Bike papa wrote:Yeah Monte post up some more pics
Your stuff make my stuff look boring!!!
Hmmm maybe my stuff really is boring!

Show us the goods.

PS. Nice talking to you at SEMA

BP
Hell, your car is far from boring. You did a great job on that heat shield, I really like the curved form, much better than the factory shield .
Really was nice to met up as usual.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Wow Monte, Beyond impressive.

That detail and persuasion is truly on a whole other level; almost surgical. Congrats on closing for the new space BTW, I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

RonM wrote:Wow Monte, Beyond impressive.

That detail and persuasion is truly on a whole other level; almost surgical. Congrats on closing for the new space BTW, I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Ron M.
Thanks, good news more space, bad news another big project.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Cant wait to see pics of that new shop! Setting up a new shop is def going to be a big project but I'm sure it's going to be done right, polished copper air lines and all!!
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I guess you can't have one without the other though. So you can't just fold down the seats in the family wagon to move those shop tools ah? No I would imagine this will be a serious challenge.

God Speed Monte,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Gotta bump you Monte. Any new stuff?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Nothing on the Datsun's to post, but being working on the new shop. I'll post on my another thread on the latest about the new shop.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Any update on this Monte?!
looking for pass. side arm rest
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Yes, Updates!

Hurry up and finish this, so I can try and buy it off of you!
510wizard
Supporter

The SSE (Super Sport Estate) Project

Post by 510wizard »

No updates on the SSE, but the new shop is about done, still moving equipment in.