Post by HudsonMC »

okayfine wrote:My poor Photohack
idx210.jpg
oh my God, I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Techromancer
Supporter

Re: Nissan IDx 10 concept is the new 510/Bluebird Coupe

Post by Techromancer »

okayfine wrote: But, no, you're not likely to find it in the IDx: "Nissan says it envisioned the car to be motivated from a powertrain with a 1.2-to-1.5L gasoline engine mated to a continuously variable transmission (CVT)"
I've seen this a lot on various forums. I think people are forgetting the L16 that came stock in the 510. My car doesn't exactly have awe inspiring acceleration. When the 510 was made, a manual was the most fuel efficient transmission available, now the CVT is. It's more of a literal update to the 510 than people probably want. I have trouble believing that there won't be a spec-v or Nismo version with a decent amount of power and a manual transmission, but then again, who knows what Nissan execs will greenlight.

Much like the FR-S/BRZ, I'm sure that the aftermarket will address any power problems and you can always swap a bigger engine and a manual in there. I hear that's a popular thing to do with 510s :wink:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Techromancer wrote:I think people are forgetting the L16 that came stock in the 510.
Nope. And the L16 wasn't a powerhouse. But it had only 2100 pounds to push. It has been suggested that Nissan is getting their RWD platform from a modified version of the Juke AWD platform. That comes in at ~3000lb.
Techromancer wrote:and you can always swap a bigger engine and a manual in there. I hear that's a popular thing to do with 510s :wink:
Not a lot of engine swapping going on with modern cars. The electronics are becoming too integrated (see also issues with VQ and QR 510 swaps) and regulatory/emissions hurdles too high. You can keep a 510 going for nearly 50 years with careful maintenance or, failing that, an engine swap. You won't be able to keep an IDx going for 50 years no matter what.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

okayfine wrote: Nope. And the L16 wasn't a powerhouse. But it had only 2100 pounds to push. It has been suggested that Nissan is getting their RWD platform from a modified version of the Juke AWD platform. That comes in at ~3000lb.

Not a lot of engine swapping going on with modern cars. The electronics are becoming too integrated (see also issues with VQ and QR 510 swaps) and regulatory/emissions hurdles too high. You can keep a 510 going for nearly 50 years with careful maintenance or, failing that, an engine swap. You won't be able to keep an IDx going for 50 years no matter what.
So you need about 150HP to maintain the power to weight ratio of the original car assuming a 3000lb weight, but I can't imagine the body, interior and AWD delete will have the IDx coming in anywhere near the weight of a Juke.

The Subaru guys are swapping motors all over the place. Even without that, adding a turbo or upgrading an existing one will get the power where it will at least be fun. Where there's a will, there's a way.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Techromancer wrote:I've seen this a lot on various forums. I think people are forgetting the L16 that came stock in the 510. My car doesn't exactly have awe inspiring acceleration. When the 510 was made, a manual was the most fuel efficient transmission available, now the CVT is. It's more of a literal update to the 510 than people probably want. I have trouble believing that there won't be a spec-v or Nismo version with a decent amount of power and a manual transmission, but then again, who knows what Nissan execs will greenlight.

Much like the FR-S/BRZ, I'm sure that the aftermarket will address any power problems and you can always swap a bigger engine and a manual in there. I hear that's a popular thing to do with 510s :wink:
First off I must say, you have the coolest user name in all the web land IMO Techromancer. When reading about the diminutive power plans proposed for the IDx it's easy to forget the 45 year time gap between these two cars. By todays standards the L16s design looks purely economy driven, but in reality it was the SR20 of it's time. As okfine stated, although the 510 wasn't a muscle, it's power to weight ratios gave it respectable performance. When you consider a comparable 60s American economy car like the Dodge Dart, it weighed in at 3,300 lbs, and had a 170 ci (2.8L) slant 6 engine that was putting out 101 bhp through a 3 speed push button auto trans. The light little 2,100 lbs 510 with 97 bhp through a 4 speed manual would literally run circles around the Dart under any conditions. When the 510 came to North America it set a totally new standard by introducing the "economy" light compact sports sedan. With the 510 Nissan filled a void on multiple levels; great fuel economy, nimble handling, solid reliability, and that's what gave it broad appeal.

Today Nissan is late in returning to the entry level sport compact party they started back in the 60s. If they want to hit the dance floor again they are going to have to dance to the standards of todays market, but with a 1.5L CVT power train the IDx won't even make it to the floor. If Nissan builds it on the Juke chassis though, they might as well skip the party all together, smoke another bowl, and watch some more Gilligan's Island reruns.

The stock 2013 WRZ sit puts out 305 bhp @ 3,208 lbs. BRZ, 200 bhp @ 2,762 lbs. IDx 150 @ 3000 LBS... Turn out the lights, the party's over.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

RonM wrote: First off I must say, you have the coolest user name in all the web land IMO Techromancer. When reading about the diminutive power plans proposed for the IDx it's easy to forget the 45 year time gap between these two cars. By todays standards the L16s design looks purely economy driven, but in reality it was the SR20 of it's time. As okfine stated, although the 510 wasn't a muscle, it's power to weight ratios gave it respectable performance. When you consider a comparable 60s American economy car like the Dodge Dart, it weighed in at 3,300 lbs, and had a 170 ci (2.8L) slant 6 engine that was putting out 101 bhp through a 3 speed push button auto trans. The light little 2,100 lbs 510 with 97 bhp through a 4 speed manual would literally run circles around the Dart under any conditions. When the 510 came to North America it set a totally new standard by introducing the "economy" light compact sports sedan. With the 510 Nissan filled a void on multiple levels; great fuel economy, nimble handling, solid reliability, and that's what gave it broad appeal.

Today Nissan is late in returning to the entry level sport compact party they started back in the 60s. If they want to hit the dance floor again they are going to have to dance to the standards of todays market, but with a 1.5L CVT power train the IDx won't even make it to the floor. If Nissan builds it on the Juke chassis though, they might as well skip the party all together, smoke another bowl, and watch some more Gilligan's Island reruns.

The stock 2013 WRZ sit puts out 305 bhp @ 3,208 lbs. BRZ, 200 bhp @ 2,762 lbs. IDx 150 @ 3000 LBS... Turn out the lights, the party's over.
Hehe, thanks. I use technology to bring things to life, so I thought it was appropriate.

These are all good points that I hadn't really considered. I agree that they're coming to the party late, but they're also gunning for the BRZ, not the WRX. I think it's totally reasonable for them to get the weight down to or under 2700 lbs and if they're doing several trim levels, they'll definitely need an option package that nets at least 200HP mated to a manual so they're on par with the BRZ. It's interesting that the BRZ and WRX are the same price. I wonder if WRX sales have been affected or if their target markets are different enough.

Over at JNC, one of the designers at least seems to be getting the hint about the C pillar, so that's a start.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Thanks for the heads up on the goings on over at JNC. I'll have to post up some of this on their site,
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

A quick photoshop to show a roof and pillars that match the rest of the car.

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I don't know, still lipstick on s pig IMO. Try taking the notch out of the rear C making a triangle rear quarter like the 510.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Still a Celica, but now at least not a b210. Not bad. Now, let's work on the drivetrain :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

RonM wrote:Today Nissan is late in returning to the entry level sport compact party they started back in the 60s. If they want to hit the dance floor again they are going to have to dance to the standards of todays market, but with a 1.5L CVT power train the IDx won't even make it to the floor. If Nissan builds it on the Juke chassis though, they might as well skip the party all together, smoke another bowl, and watch some more Gilligan's Island reruns.

Some of the stuff I've read has pointed to the turbo 1.6 in the Nismo version. That motor makes 200 HP, no? Even though it's a bit heavier than the FR-S, we all know HP/lb is only a small part of the acceleration picture. A turbocharged motor should (theoretically) make more torque and have a flatter torque curve than an equally powerful NA motor. Maaaaybe a 200 HP iDX could keep up with at least the FR-S?

That being said...everybody was complaining about acceleration (lack thereof) in the FR-S.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

I saw that it's barely longer than a miata... how about 188 HP from an MR16DDT and 2500 lbs? Same power to weight of a BRZ.
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

okayfine wrote:Still a Celica, but now at least not a b210. Not bad. Now, let's work on the drivetrain :)
2.4 L turbo charged with 350z tranny+rear end modified ratio to give it the gitty up that the 350z has :-)
Diego.
iceD

Post by iceD »

This article suggests the owner will be able to 3D print body mods. How amazing is that.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/t ... 9_31421010

ice D