Windshield Seal

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
EJ333

Windshield Seal

Post by EJ333 »

I need a replacement seal for my rear windshield for a 1968 510 sedan. Will need a "smooth" version as there is no chrome trim. Where have you had good experiences for your seal purchases ? Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Windshield Seal

Post by okayfine »

No one knows where you live.

Good experiences with weatherstripping purchases pretty much belong to Datsport in Aus. Problem is, I don't think they offer the seal you're looking for. AFAIK, only Datsunlandsocal offers the "Cali" seal, and IMO/E they're the antithesis of "good experiences".
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I got the chromeless version from them (Datsport), both front and rear, though it was over 10 years ago. On that note, they are still holding up very well.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

vintagerubber.com has Z and 510 weatherstrip. I just bought their front glass weatherstrip with no chrome. Looks good to me. Randy was good to work with.

Pretty sure they had the rear with same w/wo chrome channel too. Whoops just checked, "its coming soon". Would give them a call and see just when soon is.

They have the best Z weatherstrip of all the available sources, other than Nissan, very close copy. They went to considerable trouble to have them duplicated, they are NOT the Precision stuff.
EJ333

Post by EJ333 »

Thanks guys for your helpful input. I went to the Datsport website, but their windshield seals seem to be only for the ones for chrome trim. I have e mailed Vintage Rubber to see if/ when they plan to stock the Cal Style rear windshield seal that does not have a groove for the chrome trim. Let me know if any other ideas come up. :o
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Have heard that the vintagerubber guy doesn't really have/want much to do with 510 weatherstripping. Another Realmer was recently comparison shopping and tried to get a quote and couldn't.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

got mine from Datsport last year, (no groove for chrome) they don't have them listed on the website but when you email or call Tracy or Baz, they are available. they are not perfectly smooth like the "cal look" ones, there is a slight ridge that mimics an expander strip. but it is one piece and has no grooves for the trim.
its not the having. its the doing...
Baz

Post by Baz »

We need to update the website on the rubber seals.
Here is a link to the non moulding type seal.

http://www.datsport.com/body-rubber-fro ... pe-nm.html

This type is available for the 2 door & 4 door sedans. Front & rear.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Tried Vintagerubber a few years ago. Only lasted 6 months. Have Datsport now. in mu opinion, the only stuff worth buying. I thought for the quality, very reasonable priced
EJ333

Post by EJ333 »

As it turned out, I did make the purchase of my smooth rear windshield seal from Vintage Rubber via eBay. I have no complaints. The seal seemed to fit well and was good quality as far as I know. My guess is that their more recent product is better than what it may have been compared to the previous poster. I think I paid $130 which I thought was reasonable. Can't remember if there was a shipping charge. When you order from Australia, and have it sent to the States, you need to factor in the shipping charges in your decision.
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

The problem with most aftermarket rubber is that it's not as ozone resistant, nor as thermally and UV stable as the OEM product. What happens is that you get a wide variance in experience based on how much the person actually drives their car and how much direct sunlight it receives. So you got one guy who ones a garage queen, in a temperate climate, telling you it's great... while another with a daily driver telling you it's crap.

I went with the datsport ones because they routinely get the best reviews from the DD crowd. But that's as far as my review can go, because my rubber is sitting in boxes waiting to go onto a currently non-running car.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.