sedan vs wagon bumper (rear)

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

sedan vs wagon bumper (rear)

Post by SteveEdmonton »

In short, how different from each other are these rear bumpers, sedan vs. wagon? Are there dimensional differences, or different mounting-points, or...? Thanks for the help.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
okayfine
Supporter

Re: sedan vs wagon bumper (rear)

Post by okayfine »

I mounted a sedan bumper on my wagon BITD.

----------------
From the old DQ.com site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060303064 ... terly.com/

510 Bumper Guide
a.k.a: Everything you've ever wanted to know about 510 bumpers but were afraid to ask.

by Michael Spreadbury

Front bumper -- There are three styles of front bumpers that I have seen. (Variations will be noted in below each section)

Standard two-piece front bumper: This is the bumper that all the versions of 510s imported into North America were imported with. Two-piece, with a seam in the center. Three holes for the front license plate depending on the market where the car was sold.

1973 Front bumper: Different part number, different bumper. How different? Well, for starters, it has four giant holes in it to mount the solid-rubber overriders. It also has double thickness of steel in the bumper mounting areas. If you pick up a bare 73 front bumper you will notice that it is heavier than the earlier version. The 72 and 73 bumper brackets also space out the front bumper further out than the earlier versions.

Australian three-piece front bumper: Think three-piece just like a standard rear bumper-- but this is a front bumper with a solid center section with two bumper caps. These were Australian built bumpers to comply with domestic content regulations for Australian built 1600's. I have never seen the three-piece bumper here in the USA, but I have seen several photos of them on Australian 510s.

Notes: Four-doors and Wagons got the chrome and rubber over-riders, and the Japanese versions starting in 1971 got a very small, solid bumper overrider usually seen on the Coupe models. 1973 510s got the giant solid rubber over riders which are mounted in the afore mentioned holes.

There are just a few variations of the rear bumper for the sedan and wagon:

1968 Sedan Bumper: Standard three-piece construction, with a hole in the center section for an Everwing license plate light. Used in North America for 1968 only, but worldwide through the end of production for International models. 2-door sedans got a rubber plug to fill the over-rider holes, and four-doors got the chrome and black over-rider.
1968 Wagon Bumper: Same construction as the sedan bumper, but with a wider center section, the wagon 68 rear bumper also uses a different 68-specific license plate light (with a shallower profile). Uses the chrome and black rubber over-rider.
Standard Rear Bumper: Fits all years 1969-1972, three-piece construction. Wagons have a wider center section.
What about the coveted one-piece front and rear bumpers-- you ask?

I have had several one-piece front and rear bumpers over the years, and still have one stashed in the attic. I firmly believe that these are bumpers offered by the aftermarket as crash parts shortly after the car was released. Why they are not available any more, I cannot answer. I have never seen a stock 510 with one-piece front or rear bumpers. I have seen airbrushed factory photographs of a 1973 2-door sedan with what appears is a one-piece front bumper, but in their haste they even shaved the front license plate holes, so I think it is an example of someone trying to clean up an image instead of something actually offered.

The Strutless Wonder came with a one-piece rear bumper when I bought it from the original owner, but they told me that the car had been involved in a minor accident shortly after it was purchased new, and it was replaced by the body shop. The bumper stays had Datsun part number stickers still on them, but I could not find any evidence of a Nissan part number on the bumper, nor have I ever seen or received one on the many new bumpers I have ordered from Nissan over the years.

Ok, before you e-mail me with "...but my car has this..." remember that 510s have been running around for 30+ years now, and have had all kinds of modifications done to them. The SoCal boys get very creative and have ALL the holes and all the seams welded and rechromed-- I have even seen front bumpers that have had everything shaved, and a section of bumper welded in to remove the recess for the front license plate-- the creativity of 510 owners never ceases to amaze me!
Last edited by okayfine on 03 Jan 2014 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Thanks Julian. I'm asking because I might be going the other direction-- I've got a sedan, and a line on a bumper that may or may not be from a wagon, the guy's not sure. So if the wagon bumper really is narrower, that won't work....

I don't have a way to measure either bumper at the moment, so if anyone has detail on this readily at hand, that would be great.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wagon bumper is wider. It's buried in the text above. No measurements, but the difference can't be much (to the point I wonder why they bothered making it wider).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

if it is a wagon bumper and you can't use it, I sure could if it's straight
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Hey greenthumb, let me check it out-- I should know by Monday at the latest I hope and will post a reply here.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

thanks Steve
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Had a chance to check out the bumper in question, and indeed the dimensions are really close to those of the one that's on my sedan. Very slightly wider-- about 1/2 inch? I'm thinking that that's so close to mine that the difference is probably due to a bit of twisting on either the one or the other, over the years.

However, the mounts on the side-pieces are somewhat different than mine, "bulkier," which makes me think that maybe the one I'm looking at is aftermarket. Or does the combination of these two things-- an extra centimeter or so in width, and slightly different mounting "ears"-- tell me that this is indeed a wagon bumper? (Sorry, no pics...)

In any case, it looks like I'm going to pick it up and use it myself, which unfortunately is bad news for your own hunt, greenthumb. Sorry!

Steve +
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
TerryHackman
Supporter

Post by TerryHackman »

Steve you can take a look at my Wagon bumper. BTW do you need any parts? I am up to my head in 510 stuff I need to liquidate because I have decided I finally need to clean up my yard.

I gotta get over to your house to check out the progress on your 510.

Terry
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

SteveEdmonton wrote:However, the mounts on the side-pieces are somewhat different than mine, "bulkier," which makes me think that maybe the one I'm looking at is aftermarket.
No aftermarket steel bumpers I've ever heard of. Typical usage sees those side tabs cut off the bumper anyway (or at least not bolted to the fenders/quarters). A small parking lot tap on the bumper can bend sheet metal, whereas otherwise you'd get away without damage.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Terry, I'll PM you-- yes I'd like to see that wagon bumper and measure it up. Maybe I'll post the dimensional differences here in case anybody else has this same question.

Julian, interesting to hear that there weren't any aftermarket bumpers. That seems surprising to me... So maybe these different "ears" are an indicator of a wagon bumper. Or else maybe they were tacked on later by somebody "fixing" this bumper? I'll have to look more closely when I actually get it.
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

SteveEdmonton wrote:So maybe these different "ears" are an indicator of a wagon bumper.
Stands to reason that the sheetmetal quarters on a wagon are a different shape than the sedan.
wagoneer

Post by wagoneer »

Still looking to put a bumper on the wagon; right now square tube steel with trailer hitch. What (easily attained) information finally arose about sedan rear bumper for wagons? Thanks for the reply, Wagoneer
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Wagoneer-
Still need a bumper?
I think I have a wagon rear bumper outside leaning next to the house. I'm in Menlo park.
Not perfect, but staright, some sufrace rust under where the overiders used to be, but not awful, maybe 6-7/10?
I even have pics somewhere too.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Sorry everyone I haven't gotten over to Terry's to measure his wagon bumper vs. the one I was looking at (and picked up). So I'm afraid I can't contribute any dimensions... yet. If / when I ever get over there, I'll do so! :)
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata